Model Cars Magazine Forum

2022 Round2 Releases

Casey

59 minutes ago, stavanzer said:

Some Great Stuff this time on the list. The Aqua Rod Race Team, will kill collector prices, and probably sell very well. The Kenworth will sell like hotcakes, as it has been a very long time since the last issue. I wonder if the '29 Ford will be the MPC Ford in an AMT Box? I am curious to see what exactly is in the box for the MPC Datsun. Maybe all the stock wheels and Tires? And last but not least, How soon will we see Banana Splits Versions of the Amphicat. IIRC, you just need to paint them different colours, there aren't even any decals for them.

Great Line up!

The '29 Ford Woody/truck was reissued just in the last year as an AMT, I'm sure it's the same but now with Coke livery.  The Datsun could be the street rod flip nose version, since the stock version was out a few years ago.  Last time that Kenworth was out was around 1979, I remember that from the first AMT catalog I got as a kid. 

32 minutes ago, Daddyfink said:

You mean these.....

Yes, Them too. Not sure where the tooling for all of these are. I know Revell has the Sandman Buggy, but most of the rest are 'In the Wind'.

Thanks for finding and sharing that link Jesse!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Rob Hall said:

That [1975 Datsun Pickup] one was just out a couple years ago, though. 

And is 'stock' only, with a few custom parts (wheels, tyres, intake options, etc.).

The L'il Hustler has a supercharged SBC and a flip nose; different frame, too. That cab/front clip/frame were last seen in the Scavenger tow truck from +/- 10 years ago.

7 minutes ago, 1972coronet said:

And is 'stock' only, with a few custom parts (wheels, tyres, intake options, etc.).

The L'il Hustler has a supercharged SBC and a flip nose; different frame, too. That cab/front clip/frame were last seen in the Scavenger tow truck from +/- 10 years ago.

Yeah, that is what I figure it will be... the interesting thing is, Datsun actually had a L'il Hustler trim package in 1:1 back then...MPC kind of misused the name for their street rod truck kit.

1976Datsun_01_800.jpg

maxresdefault-2.jpg

Edited by Rob Hall
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, stavanzer said:

I bought both the Scavenger and the '75 Datsun PU just to build my own Flip Front Street Rod. Have not done it yet though. 

Fine idea, @stavanzer. MPC made squillions of awesome variants of their venerable Datsun kit.

After Lil Hustler, all we need are "California Sunshine" and "Express-O", to be able to build our own "Rising Sun", "Black Hawk", "California Stepside", or any other combination we desire.

3 hours ago, stavanzer said:

Yes, Yes they should.

3 hours ago, Daddyfink said:

You mean these.....

My bad, I was thinking more of the newer ones. Stuff like the bass boats, the race car trailer, the formula one boat, and even the jet ski that came with the '99 Silverado.

7 hours ago, Plowboy said:

More than likely, it's this one.

images.jpeg.a106325368e8792eea15377e47b402a2.jpeg

I'm sitting here staring at the MPC '75 Datsun pick up and was thinking it would probably be the one rereleased since I had bought it almost a year ago. But even with shipping I probably paid less than what MSRP will be on the new release, and that would be WITHOUT any shipping fees tacked on.

5 hours ago, Stef said:

Fine idea, @stavanzer. MPC made squillions of awesome variants of their venerable Datsun kit.

After Lil Hustler, all we need are "California Sunshine" and "Express-O", to be able to build our own "Rising Sun", "Black Hawk", "California Stepside", or any other combination we desire.

I'd be as happy as a pig in mud if they release the  "California Sunshine" kit, I was running a body shop when they came out with the pieces for the full size version and had just worked out a deal with a local dealer to take the new trucks direct from the import docks (they were shipped minus the beds to avoid a big tariff on complete trucks) and doing the installation and paint for them only to have Datsun/Nissan change the body style for the new model year making the Sunshine conversions obsolete for new trucks.

7 hours ago, Jordan White said:

My bad, I was thinking more of the newer ones. Stuff like the bass boats, the race car trailer, the formula one boat, and even the jet ski that came with the '99 Silverado.

All of those are Revell. Zero R2. Sry. 

As for the Aqua Rod, in addition to having proper kit box art themed decals (the originals were nicely designed but poorly manufactured), I suggested that Round 2 consider adding a second set of decals based on the original AMT Sales Catalog illustration/announcement imagery/illustration of this then-upcoming kit.    

Don't know if that will make the final cut or not, but if it does, bet we see a bunch of the Kindsvater boats and Chevy Van tow vehicles with that livery on the model tables....

TB 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, 64Comet404 said:

For the Aqua Rod, I wish Round 2 would get away from the SOHC heads and cover, and give us the regular cylinder heads and Interceptor valve covers. Much nicer looking, IMO.

Before this new production run, Round 2 had the factory remove all the plugged runners to see what was really in the tool.  Very little of the original Rayson-Craft parts remained, and most of those were already present in the 2005 Model King Bonneville/Kindsvater Boat reissue (such as one of the two FE 390 Interceptor valve covers).  

Of course, personally I'd love to see new/clone parts for the entire Rayson Craft version, but I don't think that will ever happen given the other possible "clone" kit topics that would have a so much braoder market appeal....TB  

• Like 1

@tim boyd I wouldn’t complain about cloning the Rayson. Hull halves, sponsons, deck, transom, ski seats and drive cover. 
2 very different kits for not huge money. 
Drives, prop, fins, same, maybe valve covers and heads. Could issue as stand alone kits like Hull Raiser. Hmmm. 

14 hours ago, Daddyfink said:

It might be this one....

Model Kit Datsun Pickup Lil Hustler

I think you're right! Round 2 is pretty good at naming their reissues accurately, so if it says "Lil' Hustler", this is probably what they mean.

They know their history. 

14 hours ago, stavanzer said:

I wonder if the '29 Ford will be the MPC Ford in an AMT Box?

Alan, for sure this will be the kit that originally started out as the "Wild Ones", as only MPC made this combo. AMT never had one. It only became an AMT when Ertl bought out MPC in the 80s. 

P3140113.jpg.9b3134f2b5ff02688ae8bacdefa2bef0.jpg

And no, it probably won't have the Hot Curl figure back in it. Which is probably why they've never reissued it with this box art.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

I think you're right! Round 2 is pretty good at naming their reissues accurately, so if it says "Lil' Hustler", this is probably what they mean.

They know their history. 

Alan, for sure this will be the kit that originally started out as the "Wild Ones", as only MPC made this combo. AMT never had one. It only became an AMT when Ertl bought out MPC in the 80s. 

P3140113.jpg.9b3134f2b5ff02688ae8bacdefa2bef0.jpg

And no, it probably won't have the Hot Curl figure back in it. Which is probably why they've never reissued it with this box art.

That's not the original issue. The original issues were 2 separate kits: Issued around 1965

1158178-26866-54-720.jpg

s-l400.jpg

AMT-1338 1/25 Aqua Rod Race Team 1975 Chevy Van, Race Boat & Trailer

Looking forward to this kit coming out something a little different..  Why is the Monkey mobile coming back out is there a demand for them.  Younger generations have no idea whom they are".