Model Cars Magazine Forum

contest primer projects

Paul Payne

For several years I went to the NNL East contest and they always had a primer projects table with some really interesting works in progress. I assume, perhaps incorrectly, that many other model contests and gatherings had (have?) one as well. If you have shown builds on these tables, it would be great to see some of the completed models as well as builds still in progress. 

I always find the primer tables to be quite interesting, especially with the more complex builds and seeing how builders deal with the construction. Here is my AussieBall entry, first from primer table from theDSC from a fee years back and to the final build that tied for first place on the CannonBall run in 2016.
Cheers Misha

D73931EF-E09F-43D5-B47B-2315C99D72C3.jpeg.d97c1fd42cc24a278d732a60c6b79b0a.jpegA611BA10-8352-4FDE-9C1A-12D378674A7F.jpeg.70f5a4c5fc3f67e6f291625a0df6565c.jpeg01DEF3A2-13A1-46DC-9EA0-72BE83EBED53.jpeg.02e5ed58a7932b4e67cc9aea8896d57b.jpeg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

hi there;  i remember an article in scale auto about the 5 or 6 types of model car builders.  one was Primer Pete. his cars make it

to that stage and people he showed his builds to always liked them, but he never gets to the paint stage. i can 

totally identify with that.  hell, mine barely make it to the roller stage. the creative process is the muse, not the 

shiny finished item.  thats my excuse and i'm stickin to it

• Like 1

I don’t attend shows because the lack of them where I live. Went to one years back, did not intend to get any recognition but it was the only car from the show that got published even though it was not a first class build as many here but it was visual and creative with stance. 

Any how I like seeing primer builds and I often display my primer builds in the cabinet ( not a crowded place) since they look cool in primer.

I find that I get new ideas and move to another build. It allows me to not rush the big builds. I recently did a purge where I would not allow myself to start anything else till all my WIPs were done. I still have a couple large scale kits needing completion, but I got all my 1/24-25 stuff finished. 

I do love the primer stage too. It allows you to sit back and see the vision come together, it also allows you to see if a change in direction may be a better choice. I have an RV project that I build a little, them put it on the shelf to look at for a while, then I bring it down and work a little more. 

I would love to see everybody's primer projects.