Model Cars Magazine Forum

I received 1 oz. bottle caps from Paasche yesterday, but...

11 minutes ago, 1930fordpickup said:

What is the point of a cap without a gasket? That is like a car with no rims and tires, a house with no roof...........

I think a vehicle comparison would be closer to "radio delete". Less expensive perhaps?

1 hour ago, iamsuperdan said:

Yup, that's how I read it too.

Looks like you ordered the wrong cap. Should have ordered an H-191G.

I guess you can save a dime if you need a special type of gasket or just want to make your own. I have some teflon offcuts that I got from a local gasket supplier that I use. You could make them from a coffee can lid. I think that is polypropylene maybe? Nothing sticks to it anyways.

Yup, that's how I read it too.

Looks like you ordered the wrong cap. Should have ordered an H-191G.

Well, the Paasche website is not very intuitive. I think they should have just printed "gasket not included" or "gasket sold separately".  Most rational people would have the expectation that a jar lid comes with provisions for sealing it. If a transistor radio or a flashlight does not come with batteries, should it be listed as "L/batteries"?  I interpreted the L to mean LARGE and not LESS. 

Edited by Plumcrazy Preston
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, NOBLNG said:

I guess you can save a dime if you need a special type of gasket or just want to make your own. I have some teflon offcuts that I got from a local gasket supplier that I use. You could make them from a coffee can lid. I think that is polypropylene maybe? Nothing sticks to it anyways.

I found those stupid gaskets at the Paasche site finally. Chuck emailed me back with the part number. I could not find those stupid things navigating the site by myself. Why in the devil don't they just list the gaskets on the same page as the lids? They should already know most people are going to need something to seal the lids. Whoever in this world would want to order a lid without sealing provisions anyway? Their website is not very consumer-oriented. 

5-G | Making Quality Spray Paint Equipment in the US Since 1904 (paascheairbrush.com)

I think Paasche should at least eat the shipping costs if I were to order these gaskets, what do you think?  I'm calling Paasche out on this one. 

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Plumcrazy Preston said:

I think Paasche should at least eat the shipping costs if I were to order these gaskets, what do you think? 

I think you ordered the wrong thing in the first place. Paasche shouldn't have to pay because you forgot to order gaskets. 

They must have them listed separately on their site for a reason, and they would have no reason to assume that you were looking for lids with gaskets.

I think this is one of those live and learn sort of moments.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, iamsuperdan said:

I'll bet your local auto parts store or industrial supply place would have bulk o-rings that would fit. Buy a dozen of those for way cheaper than Paasche o-rings, and no shipping charges.

The Paasche 1-oz lids I have measure 1 1/4" inner diameter with my ruler. I still say their website is poorly written for customers to easily follow.  I'm going to try to talk Paasche in to making this misunderstanding up to me anyway by eating some if not all the costs. Also, the gaskets have to be impervious to paints, thinners and solvents. The Paasche ones in the website picture look like cork and not rubber or plastic. The 1 oz. jars I ordered from Paasche came, in fact, with siphon lids with cork gaskets included. That the siphon lids actually had gaskets already included is another reason a rational person should also expect gaskets with plain solid lids. 

38 minutes ago, iamsuperdan said:

I think you ordered the wrong thing in the first place. Paasche shouldn't have to pay because you forgot to order gaskets. 

They must have them listed separately on their site for a reason, and they would have no reason to assume that you were looking for lids with gaskets.

I did not FORGET to order gaskets; I rationally assumed they were included.

I guess people who paint or use an airbrush for a living or as a hobby must have brain damage from breathing all those fumes. Paasche's philosophy must be that such brain-dead people don't follow common logic and plain rational English. They don't cater to customers who actually have living brain cells, evidently. Frankly, I think Paasche is just trying to nickel and dime unsuspecting folks. A new Paasche airbrush kit seems like a new HP printer. It's seems like a good deal at first until you have to buy all those extras. The price of an HP toner cartridge is about as costly as the original Laser Jet printer. Like crappy Big Three brand automobiles, you essentially "buy things twice". 

I've never cared much for their bottles anyway! 

I have 4 VL dbl action.... I took the pickup assembly out of their lids & adapted them to the Testors Model Masters bottle lids...which I have ton of....large paint project ...mix multiple bottles before... small...switch, spray...reseal with it's original cap.

• Like 1

Yup.

Preston it's not Paasches fault for you making the wrong assumption. The picture you saw was exactly what you were getting. 

Edited by bobthehobbyguy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, bobthehobbyguy said:

Yup.

Preston it's not Paasches fault for you making the wrong assumption. The picture you saw was exactly what you were getting. 

You mean it's not logical for the average Joe to assume there should be a sealing part underneath that cap in the picture? The inside of the lid is not shown at all. Is it only logical to assume that if a seal is included it should be pictured separate from the lid? Do people here have stocks in the Paacshe Corporation? Do I have to even ask the dealer for water-tight battery caps when I buy a new car? Also, look at the list price on those goofy little lids, $1.40 + tax and shipping and no lousy piece of cork to seal the paint even!! Were the cork oak crops in Mediterranean Europe ruined by bad weather? Come now, people!! Also look at the description:

Description

1 oz./29cc Plain Cover L/Gasket

I interpret the L to mean LARGE as in large-diameter cap and the slash to mean "and" like a hyphen as in a singer/actor or a refrigerator/freezer. Yes, a refrigerator SLASH freezer meaning it's BOTH a refrigerator and a freezer. Yes, a Plain Cover L(arge??)/Gasket meaning the merchandise is both a cap (the L possibly meaning large or light because it is white in color) AND a gasket. Is L/ the standard abbreviation for LESS as taught in American schools? 

If the lid were otherwise listed as "cover sans gasket", I would know exactly what that meant. 

H-191 | Making Quality Spray Paint Equipment in the US Since 1904 (paascheairbrush.com)

H-191$00.jpg?resizeid=5&resizeh=1200&resizew=1200

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Plumcrazy Preston said:

You mean it's not logical for the average Joe to assume there should be a sealing part underneath that cap in the picture? The inside of the lid is not shown at all. Is it only logical to assume that if a seal is included it should be pictured separate from the lid? Do people here have stocks in the Paacshe Corporation? Do I have to even ask the dealer for water-tight battery caps when I buy a new car? Also, look at the list price on those goofy little lids, $1.40 + tax and shipping and no lousy piece of cork to seal the paint even!! Were the cork oak crops in Mediterranean Europe ruined by bad weather? Come now, people!! Also look at the description:

Description

1 oz./29cc Plain Cover L/Gasket

I interpret the L to mean LARGE as in large-diameter cap and the slash to mean "and" like a hyphen as in a singer/actor or a refrigerator/freezer. Yes, a refrigerator SLASH freezer meaning it's BOTH a refrigerator and a freezer. Yes, a Plain Cover L(arge??)/Gasket meaning the merchandise is both a cap (the L possibly meaning large or light because it is white in color) AND a gasket. Is L/ the standard abbreviation for LESS as taught in American schools? 

If the lid were otherwise listed as "cover sans gasket", I would know exactly what that meant. 

H-191 | Making Quality Spray Paint Equipment in the US Since 1904 (paascheairbrush.com)

H-191$00.jpg?resizeid=5&resizeh=1200&resizew=1200

Preston you asked the question should paasche waive the shipping charge for gaskets.

My answer was no you made a faulty assumption. Dan responded likewise. Now you want to debate the answer. You're lucky as the wasn't an expensive mistake.  Best action is to learn from your mistake otherwise you will make it again. 

• Like 1

You seem to be the self-appointed linguistics expert here. Lesson time: "L" as an abbreviation for "large" is generally used on clothes/garment tags to indicate size. Check your shorts if you doubt it. "lrg", "lge" or "lg" are used to describe non-apparel items. Look it up. You could have easily called Paasche to get a clarification. I did and the customer service rep confirmed that "L" indicates "LESS", not "LARGE". He also provided me with the product number for lids with gaskets. It's described as         "1 OZ. COVER W/GASKET".  "W" as in "WITH", not "WIDE".