Model Cars Magazine Forum

New Pontiac Ventura - 1976

Dominik

New Pontiac Ventura - 1976
mpc, 1/25, # 1-7703

At some point I had bought this one started on a pin board in my german forum. it was finally painted. only with the interior I found it difficult to find a matching color i am fine with.
In addition, I was not sooooo happy with the paint ... so I pushed it a long time in front of me to rework the color a bit.

If you no longer know who you got the part from, you can't ask about the paint system that won't mess up ... so just take the courage, determine the color, wet-sanded it and just slightly mist the same color over it . Then the normal procedure with sanding and clear varnish.
The windows had the almost classic tire marks from decades of storage. After all, the kit is as old as the original vehicle. I also sanded the clearparts wet and then polished them up.
The last thing to do was to replace the headlights with clear glass lenses and complete them finally in December 2020.

CIMG201219_0062.jpg

CIMG201219_0063.jpg

CIMG201219_0064.jpg

CIMG201219_0065.jpg

CIMG201219_0066.jpg

CIMG201219_0067.jpg

CIMG201219_0068.jpg

CIMG201219_0069.jpg

CIMG201219_0070.jpg

CIMG201219_0071.jpg

• Like 4

Excellent job!

I've been wanting to get this kit for years, but every time the opportunity comes up, they're prohibitively expensive. Probably no hope for a re-release either... since this kit was re-tooled into the "Squad Rod" '79 Nova.

But it's nice to know someone built it how I probably would have... except better.

A guy in my neighborhood has one of these... most likely the only '77 Ventura left in this province. I do not know him, but I'm positive he must be old enough to know better. What did he do with it? Painted it flat black with a huge Punisher skull on the hood and fake blood splatter and bullet holes all over it.  What are you 14?? lol.

It was painted like a bad demolition derby car... and that was before he got into an accident with it and crumpled the passenger-side grill and front fender.

On 10/4/2021 at 4:36 PM, ClassicDarts said:

this kit was re-tooled into the "Squad Rod" '79 Nova.

Are you 100% sure that the Ventura became the 79 Nova??? MPC Issue a New 1977 Nova in 1976 along with the new 1977 Ventura also in 1976! Odd that both kits were released the same time in the same year. (rear plate on the Ventura reads 1977!

77 Ventura.jpg

77 Nova.jpg

Edited by ranma

6 minutes ago, ranma said:

Are you 100% sure that the Ventura became the 79 Nova??? MPC Issue a New 1977 Nova in 1976 along with the new 1977 Ventura also in 1976! Odd that both kits were released the same time in the same year. (rear plate on the Ventura reads 1977!

77 Ventura.jpg

77 Nova.jpg

%100 sure. 

It was run as the Ventura for a short time and then converted to the Nova.

It wasn't uncommon for MPC to do that back then. The '71 GTX was converted to the '71 Road Runner mid year. Also the '71 Demon was changed to the '71 Duster.

21 minutes ago, ranma said:

77 Ventura.jpg

77 Nova.jpg

Well, yeah I was a little off in what I said... I thought I read before (probably a post on this forum, actually) that the Ventura came out early in the year and that, mid-'77, MPC retooled the Ventura into the '77 Nova.

I forgot that there was an MPC '77 Nova annual... I mainly remembered the '79. But either way, the tooling for Ventura no longer exists. (unless I'm completely mistaken)

edit: oops. I guess we replied at the same time. haha

Edited by ClassicDarts