Jump to content
Model Cars Magazine Forum

2022 Cannonball Group Build theme suggestion thread


Fat Brian
 Share

Recommended Posts

It's that time again folks, the days are growing short and it's time to pick a theme for next year's Cannonball. I've got a few to get the ball rolling, please post you're ideas as well so we can pick a winner.

Idea #1: Lemonball

Like the 24 Hours of Lemons, build a budget race car to drive coast to coast. You can build a serious attempt at a race car or a ridiculous clunker, whatever strikes your fancy.

Idea #2: Birth-year Ball

Build a vehicle from the year you were born, or as close as you can get. Modify any way you want or not at all, just get it to the starting line.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Fat Brian said:

Idea #2: Birth-year Ball

Build a vehicle from the year you were born, or as close as you can get. Modify any way you want or not at all, just get it to the starting line.

I was born in '54. I'm not interested in any 1954 car. But the '55s were introduced in the fall. Would a '55 qualify? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

I was born in '54. I'm not interested in any 1954 car. But the '55s were introduced in the fall. Would a '55 qualify? 

I think that would be allowed, I'm sure there are some people who might have to go further to find something. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I like the second idea the most 🙂

not to many cars of 1987 I would like to build but I guess a corvette or Monte Carlo would do it for me.

 

but idea one would also work. 🙂

Edited by Mattilacken
Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, Mattilacken said:

I like the second idea the most 🙂

not to many cars of 1987 I would like to build but I guess a corvette or Monte Carlo would do it for me.

 

but idea one would also work. 🙂

I'm 1981 so I've got the same issue. I thought it would be a good way to get a variety of entries though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, Fat Brian said:

I'm 1981 so I've got the same issue. I thought it would be a good way to get a variety of entries though.

Yo could make the last gen 2 Camaro with l98 package(if i remember correctly) Police package. A friend of mine was taking care of such a camaro that never seen police duty, was optioned as a police car for an Employe at the factory.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Mattilacken said:

Yo could make the last gen 2 Camaro with l98 package(if i remember correctly) Police package. A friend of mine was taking care of such a camaro that never seen police duty, was optioned as a police car for an Employe at the factory.

I've got a personal theme going of always building a Mustang for the Cannonball build so if birth year gets chosen I'll build another early Fox body. I've got a build planned out that I was going to do anyway so I've already got all the parts ready to go, I just hadn't wanted to repeat a body style yet.

Here's all my Cannonball Mustangs.

20181109_010547.thumb.jpg.5a57965acef66cb1fb7debb6fdcd4f89.jpg.4ae045e5cc3a4ba821656dbb8cdb57af.jpg20200920_162959.jpg.a928b549c1c7019ae3b4e329913dbb05.jpg20210927_170856.jpg.48045c25547fd451211ca6d06b27afc0.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Snake45 said:

I'm not interested in any 1954 car.

I dunno Snake, I think 54 was a good year for cars. Although there aren't alot of kitted examples... Revell has that 54 Chevy Sedan and Panel, those would be a good ones to build. Model King released the sedan as a Gasser awhile back. Also the Mobious 54 Hudson Hornet is a good kit... That kit goes together really well. 

 

14 hours ago, Fat Brian said:

please post you're ideas

I would be in for both those ideas... Or?...Or? in honor of your last 3 Cannonball Runs, why not an official All Mustang Run? Build a mustang for the CBR I think that would be Awesome!

Here are my suggestions...

#1. Wagon Run: All Station wagons (in honor of The Grizwalds)

#2. Rear/ Mid engine: (Self explanatory) although you could relocate the engine to the back of a 69 Dodge Charger if you so choose. (Ex.) or build a Ferrari 😆

#3. Four doors or more: Your Cannonball build must have atleast 4 doors (you can start with a 2 door though).😁

#4. Fat Brian's Mustang Ball as mentioned above. I challenge you to build the Mustang of your dreams! I'm not sure if there's ever been a specific "Make and Model" theme (someone correct me if I'm mistaken) but isn't now a great time to see a sea of Stallions galloping across the country in an open road race? 😆

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, disconovaman said:

I dunno Snake, I think 54 was a good year for cars. Although there aren't alot of kitted examples... Revell has that 54 Chevy Sedan and Panel, those would be a good ones to build. Model King released the sedan as a Gasser awhile back. Also the Mobious 54 Hudson Hornet is a good kit... That kit goes together really well. 

Those don't appeal to me at all. Not even a fan of the '54 Vette, which would be a horrible CB choice anyway. Best I could do would be build the AMT '53 Stude and call it a '54. :lol:

Hey, did my above question about engines/curbside ever get answered? :unsure:

Edited by Snake45
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Fat Brian said:

I've got a personal theme going of always building a Mustang for the Cannonball build so if birth year gets chosen I'll build another early Fox body. I've got a build planned out that I was going to do anyway so I've already got all the parts ready to go, I just hadn't wanted to repeat a body style yet.

Here's all my Cannonball Mustangs.

Really cool Theme going there! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Fat Brian said:

Idea #2: Birth-year Ball

Build a vehicle from the year you were born, or as close as you can get. Modify any way you want or not at all, just get it to the starting line.

This theme I like the most...😉

3 hours ago, disconovaman said:

#1. Wagon Run: All Station wagons (in honor of The Grizwalds)

 

3 hours ago, disconovaman said:

#3. Four doors or more: Your Cannonball build must have atleast 4 doors (you can start with a 2 door though).😁

These two would be coll too, especially because there are not many kits molded as 4door or even as Station wagon...

I have some suggestions too.

#1 - Pickups (you can choose any Pickup or El Camino/Ranchero kit or even scratchbuild your own using another kit?)

#2 - Government vehicles (you can choose any kit that would represent a government vehicle type that exists in real life no matter of Police, Emergency, FBI, etc... ?🙂)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, disconovaman said:

Yes on the build thread... you are welcome to build a curbside.

Fabulous, thanks so much! I must have missed it somehow, sorry. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/5/2021 at 6:08 AM, Fat Brian said:

I've got a personal theme going of always building a Mustang for the Cannonball build so if birth year gets chosen I'll build another early Fox body. I've got a build planned out that I was going to do anyway so I've already got all the parts ready to go, I just hadn't wanted to repeat a body style yet.

Here's all my Cannonball Mustangs.

20181109_010547.thumb.jpg.5a57965acef66cb1fb7debb6fdcd4f89.jpg.4ae045e5cc3a4ba821656dbb8cdb57af.jpg

I'm really digging that Mustang II

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, stinkybritches said:

I'm really digging that Mustang II

It's based on a real car, the builder used modern Mustang wheel openings like fender flares and moved the front wheels like a foot forward. It also have Corvette suspension front and rear. Here's a pic of the real car.

1978-ford-mustang-passenger-side-view.jpg.215923edf13b129c25eabfe6ff4dea14.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Oh, I want in on this one.  

Birth year:  Definitely works out great for me.  Lots of options from 1970.  Just have to find one that hasn't already been done to death.

Wagon:  This is a close second for me.  Always a fan of wagons.  Just wonder if there is enough variety for everyone involved.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, Ceaser_Salad said:

Hm birth year... 2003? That would be hard.

 

It's not too bad, there's Mustang, Camaro, and Corvette kits for that year or at least the same body style as an '03. In European cars you've got the 360 Modena, 575 Maranello, Murcielago, and Gallardo. The R-34 Skyline was still available as well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, Ceaser_Salad said:

2003

No Camaro in 2003...  but simular Corvette and Mustang bodystyle kits would get you close... also I believe there is a 02/03 Ford F150 and a Chevy Silverado kit close to the 2003 bodystyle. My son was born January 03 and when he got his license I wanted him to have an 03 car or truck but he said "no way dad, that's too new for me" lol

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...