Model Cars Magazine Forum

2022 Cannonball Group Build theme suggestion thread

Fat Brian

11 hours ago, disconovaman said:

Love the Chevelle! I've always wanted a good version of this bodystyle to be available from a model company... I think this one is missing from our hobby!

Can’t agree more! The once out there are sow sow. And I have been trying to get the parts to build mine but finding a ‘77 Monte Carlo here is hard. And then I would need a second Pepsi nascar kit and probably a dodge joker goon car to rebuild the front from

Cars from songs.

Little Deuce Coupe

Hey Little Cobra

Sammy Hagar's Trans Am

Hot Rod Lincoln

Little Red Corvette

Dead Man's Curve

Pink Cadillac

Little Nash Rambler Beep Beep

Sir Mix-A-Lot My Hooptie

Beach Boys 409

Convoy

Greased Lightning

Red Barchetta

Think we could build just about anything!

Edited by Pat Minarick

The "Psycho-Billy Cadillac" would be a project, wouldn't it? You'd have to start in 49 and find parts all the way up to the 70's. 

I would try the Hot Wheels theme with a twist 😜 instead of an actual production car I'd go for a fantasy Hot Wheels... 

I built a phantom Hot Wheels "What if?" version a few years ago in 1:25th scale. I had alot of fun with it. It was inspired by the question of Why hasn't any toy company ever made a 1:64th Disco Nova? Last year Matchbox finally answered that question with a pretty decent example. I was glad to see finally... only took 45 years.

10-34-00--9-a6aa5a905835e445.jpeg

• Like 1

Some very cool theme suggestions for next years CBP!

Cars from songs: „If there’s a god in heaven he’s got a silver Thunderbird“ (Marc Cohn) though that wouldn’t be my favourite theme.

4-doors? Well, I Built a 4-door for 2020…

218240604_08BlackBeauty.jpg.eb6359aeed0f422893e9f14c51918e18.jpg

…so I feel comfortable with that. I also like the Wagon, Pickup or Hot Wheels suggestions. I’d bet we´ll see some phantom builds here, which leads me to my own theme suggestion:

How about phantom (or what-if) cars. Imagine a pre-67 4-door T-Bird or ´47 Chevy Nomad…

Kind of a weird concept came to mind for another CBR theme... Your Best Ugliest 

It might be kinda vague and be out of left field but I think it would be interesting to see what everyone would consider the Ugliest make or model to you. It would be an opportunity to turn ugly into cool or vice-versa... take a popular bodystyle and make it the Ugliest car you would never drive. 😆🤣😂 Examples of ugly cars anyone?

On 10/9/2021 at 2:38 PM, Mattilacken said:

Hot wheels cars would also be cool.

The more I think about this the more I like the idea.  There is such a range that it could be a pretty standard build with a custom paint scheme

1846547833_2765_Mustang_Fastback-2013_237_Muscle_Mania.jpg.505e9f025aac21c6c132f7796e3f443b.jpg

all the way up to a crazy totally custom build

2424c8a3-423b-4499-8b33-9f0026c6057d.57dd6a9db3f43550fb542146ed68ae19.jpeg.1ad0dfa31ebe079f5162862a007902b3.jpeg

1 hour ago, Beans said:

The more I think about this the more I like the idea.  There is such a range that it could be a pretty standard build with a custom paint scheme

all the way up to a crazy totally custom build

Exactly! That’s why I also like it. 
Was watching these two when it came to mind.

7CE9A078-F278-403D-85A6-2ED4A4F0641C.jpeg.790c27f0ca55addc74df47e11ab3f619.jpeg

CAC9C992-2C02-446A-95C7-69B1BF7BFD9A.jpeg.3c950367aa22f65b23cdc7e0d623a761.jpeg

On 10/4/2021 at 5:14 PM, Fat Brian said:

It's that time again folks, the days are growing short and it's time to pick a theme for next year's Cannonball. I've got a few to get the ball rolling, please post you're ideas as well so we can pick a winner.

So, with what's been proposed, will there be a poll or will you decide?

Ok so there are some great ideas for next year's CB run...for me this is where I'm at with the options so far...

1. I like the "Year you were born" theme, gives a huge range of years and cars that can be made. You can build stock, modified, restomod, full custom, race inspired, a lot of choices and you can build cars, trucks, vans as long as its from your birth year. I think this option would give the most range of subjects.

2. Hot Wheels, this idea is cool too. And there are a ton of Hot Wheels, again lots of options for cars, trucks, vans, futuristic, fantasy, Ducks...

3. Cars in Song, definitely my least favourite option. I love music, and I know there are a fair decent number of songs with car references in them, but I think the choices become limited by not only the cars mentioned in song but what you're gonna want to build. 

My .02 cents worth...and being Canadian, and the exchange rate being what it is, it's even less than .02cents now.....

• Haha 2

43 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

I only own two Hot Wheels, one a candy red '55 Nomad originally purchased with the idea of turning it into an HO slot car (and then I found out how heavy the body was). Hmmmm, that could work....

I don't think you actually use the hit wheels car, you use a 1/24 or 1)25 kit and replicate the selected hit wheels car.  So it doesn't have to be one you own.  But it's all new to me.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Beans said:

I don't think you actually use the hit wheels car, you use a 1/24 or 1)25 kit and replicate the selected hit wheels car.  So it doesn't have to be one you own.  But it's all new to me.

Yea that’s it, and you could even build your custom 1/24 or 1/25 with inspiration from an hot wheels. For me a typical hot wheel have huge wheels and colorful paint schemes but that’s just my interpretation of them

9 hours ago, Beans said:

Yes, I know. I'd use the AMT kit. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Hey guys, Thanks for the interest and Thanks @Fat Brian for getting the ball rolling for the theme. I really appreciate the feedback and truly did want to have a poll for the 22 Run! It just seems fair and allows everyone who's potentially building for the run to have a say in it.

I've been having fun building for the current run here lately and I'm excited about keeping the Cannonball Run Community Build going, if everyone is cool with that... I'd be happy to continue hosting the CBR.

We'll get to vote for a theme from some really good ideas... And I think no matter what the theme will be, it will produce great builds as always... thanks agian for the continued support and participation! Happy Building!

• Like 1

My issue with the Hot Wheels theme is that that it goes against the theme of the race.

They typically are over the top customs designed to be "out there", and grab attention.

You'll get stopped every five miles by the troopers just for visibility.

I think the Hot Wheels theme should be a build-off of its own.

Edited by MeatMan

15 minutes ago, MeatMan said:

My issue with the Hot Wheels theme is that that it goes against the theme of the race.

They typically are over the top customs designed to be "out there", and grab attention.

I kind of realized the same thing.  I got all into the idea then thought about how these cars would really stand out and be kind of obvious tearing across the country.

15 minutes ago, MeatMan said:

This is pretty much what I thought as well. The Hot Wheels theme would be an interesting Community Build on its' own, but in my opinion it shouldn't be done as the Cannonball Run...

Also the "Year you were born" doesn't work for me at all. If I was born in the 70s or earlier, then absolutely, but since I was born in 1996 I'd have to be out... Can't figure out any interesting cars from 1996 that I would like to build.:)

Cars In Songs would be good, that theme would give tons of options for different kinds of builds.

Wagon Run that someone mentioned on page 1... Absolutely, Wagons are very cool!

If we have an interesting theme, I will try to build (and finish!) something.:)