Model Cars Magazine Forum

2022 Cannonball Group Build theme suggestion thread

Fat Brian

1 hour ago, W-409 said:

Also the "Year you were born" doesn't work for me at all. If I was born in the 70s or earlier, then absolutely, but since I was born in 1996 I'd have to be out... Can't figure out any interesting cars from 1996 that I would like to build.:)

Here is a great '96 just begging to be done...😁

Boxart Daihatsu Midget II R type (KP100) 03863 Fujimi

2 hours ago, W-409 said:

I was born in 1996 I'd have to be out... Can't figure out any interesting cars from 1996 that I would like to build.:)

There's a lot of great Japanese stuff for 96, the Supra, Skyline, and NSX for starters. The Revell Super Stallion Mustang would also make a great Cannonball car.

3 hours ago, W-409 said:

I was born in 1996

AMT 1996 Z28 Camaro t-tops or convt? are good kits or those early 90's 1500 trucks were basically unchanged for a decade. I'm sure there are more options too.

I'm from 73 so I would build a 70¹/² Camaro or the 007 Mustang. I could build a Square body Chevy truck. That's about it for me but there are options.  

2 hours ago, Beans said:

Here is a great '96 just begging to be done...😁

Wow, that thing has so small bed that it might be hard to fit a V8 in it.:P

1 hour ago, Fat Brian said:

There's a lot of great Japanese stuff for 96, the Supra, Skyline, and NSX for starters. The Revell Super Stallion Mustang would also make a great Cannonball car.

Probably, but to be honest Japanese cars are really far outside my interests:). Especially the newer ones (1980->).

1 minute ago, disconovaman said:

AMT 1996 Z28 Camaro t-tops or convt? are good kits or those early 90's 1500 trucks were basically unchanged for a decade. I'm sure there are more options too.

I'm from 73 so I would build a 70¹/² Camaro or the 007 Mustang. I could build a Square body Chevy truck. That's about it for me but there are options.  

The C1500 Pickups and Chevy Caprice are probably the only body styles that would interest me even a little, but I think they don't interest me enough to start building:). Although I would like to build a C1500 at some point, but I'd like to do it factory stock.

4 hours ago, MeatMan said:

My issue with the Hot Wheels theme is that that it goes against the theme of the race.

They typically are over the top customs designed to be "out there", and grab attention

That truly is point but you don´t have to build a giant duck, a Twin Mill or any other over the top custom. There are a lot of more common cars in the HW history  that can make a cool Cannon Ball racer. I just remembered some of my favourite toys from my (long ago) youth like this Corvette:

corvette.jpg.991672051fcc6bd7b5bfcafacbaaadce.jpg

or this Mercedes S-class:

380sel.jpg.44b1a65edfb715dded9d61627e5d1552.jpg

And there are lot more ...

1 hour ago, Koellefornia Kid said:

There are a lot of more common cars in the HW history

I agree, while there are a bunch of Attention Grabbers in their long line-up, there are an equal amount of stock body castings to go about the Cannonball the way, in which we would typically build... that said, I would allow those who wish to build the Fantasy over the top customs providing it passes inspection: (headlights, brakelights,license plates).

If the theme is Hot Wheels then we shouldn't limit what specifically can't be built. I would even ad a provincial rule that would allow even the Hot Wheels art on the packaging card could be built.  Because some of those are different from the actual car in the package.

Edited by disconovaman

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/26/2021 at 9:02 AM, W-409 said:

Can't figure out any interesting cars from 1996 that I would like to build.

It's the Cannonball Run. Cheat. 😇

Maybe technically you could take a 1996 Nascar chassis (there are plenty) and put on the body of your choice... essentially doing a build like this years theme. 

s-l1600.jpg.5fe45b6274fbe8c0518321d0a9e5b7d0.jpg   Mark-Martin-6-Valvoline-1996-T-Bird-Thunderbird.jpg.2bb8cc3e1a57cad78f703647d74ca3d8.jpg

Edited by Lunajammer
  • Like 1

That's a good idea with the Nascar angle. I was a little stumped about the YOB suggestion myself, in the beginning. However, now that I've researched models from my year of birth,  I have some really good options. 

I'm thinking about how to incorporate at least four, if not all of the theme suggestions into one build. 

• Like 1

Looks like "year of birth" is winning. 

I decided to go with this.

1324082-74653-74-720.jpg.5928b93af1cff3e9955afe87f772d897.jpg

I'll be doing a more plain jane build without the aftermarket wheels/tires and switching to something more traditional. I plan on stripping the interior cause I absolutely hate the '70s vinyl and faux wood grain interiors and going with more of a race car vide with some roll bars and actual racing seats/belts but I'll keep the 440 six-pack. I had planned on getting one of these kits anyways so it works out pretty good for this themed build. Kit is enroute and I've already started ordering some aftermarket items for the build. 

12 minutes ago, Jhedir6 said:

Yes... At this this time I would like to declare the winner of the Cannonball 2022 theme is
Year Of Birth. 

Thanks to everyone who has shown interest in the CBR from year to year! This would not be possible without your devotion and passion!! As a celebration to you guys, who show up with these Amazing builds, the Next Cannonball Run will pay tribute to the builders, in the year you were born. So carefully select a kit that matches your birth year and Please join us in the Cannonball Running of 2022! I'm looking forward to seeing all those YOB builds! Look for the Official 2022 CBR Build thread coming soon in the Community Builds section!

On 11/11/2021 at 8:01 PM, Lunajammer said:

It's the Cannonball Run. Cheat. 😇

Maybe technically you could take a 1996 Nascar chassis (there are plenty) and put on the body of your choice... essentially doing a build like this years theme. 

s-l1600.jpg.5fe45b6274fbe8c0518321d0a9e5b7d0.jpg   Mark-Martin-6-Valvoline-1996-T-Bird-Thunderbird.jpg.2bb8cc3e1a57cad78f703647d74ca3d8.jpg

That would be a good idea if it's OK to do a build like that where chassis and at least most of the drivetrain would be from 1996 NASCAR racer and body would be older...

On the other hand, I didn't remember I have one '96 SS Impala glue bomb... I will have to think about that, would it be interesting enough to build if I backdated the engine into something older...

Although I didn't vote in the poll I must have had this at the back of my mind as I bought something from my birth year at a show today.

DSCF2820.JPG.29fe9437e7df7b7618319493dbbec755.JPG

My CBR completion rate over the years hasn't been good (3 entries, 1 completion) but I'll be making sure I finish this one. 

Edited by TimJ

I decided to weird this one out. I hope concept cars are okay because I'm going with the '56 Club DeMer.

I've had the kit a while and was planning on making it a "what if Pontiac had made this" but never did.

Its a curbie that I'll add a drivetrain to, and make it look a bit less concept with some Corvette parts, and ditching the fin.

I'm kinda aiming for the second pic that is a rendering someone made in Grand Theft Auto.

It won't be easy but I'm counting on it being fun.

IMG_20211115_083306079.jpg

Club De Mer Digital Rendering Creator.jpg

On 11/13/2021 at 4:19 PM, Jhedir6 said:

I decided to go with this.

I'll be doing a more plain jane build without the aftermarket wheels/tires and switching to something more traditional. I plan on stripping the interior cause I absolutely hate the '70s vinyl and faux wood grain interiors and going with more of a race car vide with some roll bars and actual racing seats/belts but I'll keep the 440 six-pack. I had planned on getting one of these kits anyways so it works out pretty good for this themed build. Kit is enroute and I've already started ordering some aftermarket items for the build. 

That's a sweet pick David!

Thanks for running the vote Anthony!

1970 for me. I have plenty of Japanese cars of that age, but as I chose a Nissan for 2021 I feel that I should step out of my comfort zone. Perhaps an AMT Monte Carlo, or Monogram Chevelle or Boss Mustang, maybe with a NASCAR chassis. I'm a bit limited on British/European options, will have to have a rummage through the stash - maybe it's time to do something with that Imai London Taxi I have?!

Nice choices every one!

I might join in late in the year, i am born in 1987 so there are some great cars to build(not many kits say 1987) but I guess it’s ok to build any car that was in production in 1987. That would leve me with, MKIII Supra, Camaro (built from the iacono pro mod), BMW M3, Ferrari F40 and plenty more cool cars. But I think I will join with a Porsche 959, it’s a cool car but it looks so boring to me, but I have some ideas to make it cool. 

7 hours ago, Tabbysdaddy said:

75 Monte Carlo

I have that option myself, and I thought I'd back date the 77 Revell Snap kit. The CBR Movie car was a 73-78. I don't think I want to build another snap kit for awhile so maybe the Sorvino's Jr Nascar would be a good starting point? I have some options for 73.  I may go with a Camaro, Vega, or a Chevy C-10. I could even build a VW Beetle. I'm still thinking it over.  

5 hours ago, Mattilacken said:

born in 1987

87 has some good options, Monte Carlo, Camaro, Mustang... you could build the GMC Deserter, it's an 84 but has the same bodystyle and would pass for 87. The Round II Scrocco is an 87, I think? that's a cool kit too. 

JJMC1974B-box-top-scaled.jpg

i010269.jpg

1068678-30652-70-720.jpg

73CAMAR-vi.jpg

Edited by disconovaman

7 hours ago, Mattilacken said:

Nice choices every one!

I might join in late in the year, i am born in 1987 so there are some great cars to build(not many kits say 1987) but I guess it’s ok to build any car that was in production in 1987. That would leve me with, MKIII Supra, Camaro (built from the iacono pro mod), BMW M3, Ferrari F40 and plenty more cool cars. But I think I will join with a Porsche 959, it’s a cool car but it looks so boring to me, but I have some ideas to make it cool. 

Yeah, those of us born in more recent years might not have some cars listed for our specific year but as long as that bodystyle was available in our year it should be fine. My entry is a 79 Pace car Mustang but the 81 that I need was largely the same so it's close enough.

Yes, that's what I had in mind when you suggested this theme. I'll give leniency to those who wish to take some liberties with the year as long as it is close enough... and as Mike had mentioned I may allow the "Cannonball Cheat" if you absolutely have to build a Nascar from your YOB. I just ask that you use a body that suits the build. I have always stated that my goal as moderator is to get folks building for the CBR! I never want to complicate the challenge. 

BTW, what an interesting concept! Great theme idea... It really does pay tribute to all the dedicated Cannonballers by celebrating our year of birth... very fresh concept so thanks for the suggestion.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, disconovaman said:

BTW, what an interesting concept! Great theme idea... It really does pay tribute to all the dedicated Cannonballers by celebrating our year of birth... very fresh concept so thanks for the suggestion.

I'd like to say I put a great deal of thought into it but honestly it just popped into my head while I was typing up the theme suggestion thread. I do agree that it makes a good theme in that there is one restriction but everything else is left up to the builder. Hopefully it will lead to a good turnout.

• Like 2