Model Cars Magazine Forum

2022 Cannonball Group Build theme suggestion thread

Fat Brian

On 11/17/2021 at 9:29 PM, 426 pack said:

Well I’m all for the birth year idea but I’m a little stumped on what to build for myself as I can’t think of any good 1:1 cars from 2001 let alone anything in 1:24/25 scale. I’ll keep looking though and if anyone knows of any kits I’m open to all suggestions. 

The S10 Extreme is within the body style for 2001 also.

20211119_212440.jpg

On 11/18/2021 at 2:22 PM, Beans said:

Another 1970 birth year here.  There is always a bunch of 1970 models available.  I struggled with coming up with something new and inspiring to me. 

Oh boy, 1970 is a golden year for modeling. All the big 3 have multiple kits. But I came across a sort of blown GSX version of your inspired Camaro.

buick-gs-yellow-yobo-has-a-supercharger-for-days-142778-7.jpg.c52ca3e6ede5e72e398a7421a44c4890.jpg

Edited by Lunajammer
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Pat Minarick said:

Would this pass for 1966?

The Type Two VW went virtually unchanged from 1950 to 1967. I believe the Revell kit in the picture is a 1958. Or maybe it was released/first issued in 58? I honestly don't know enough about those VWs to say what the differences (if any) are from year to year. I'd say since they used that bodystyle so long, it falls in that "close enough" category, kinda like alot of kits that are not exactly, but only changed slightly. I'm not going to be too critical on any entry as long as it falls in that category. 

3 hours ago, Pat Minarick said:

Would this pass for 1966?51c78d78bd66a0cfd3491f07e0f67061.jpg.7b7d1fefc59eae21ac8b277d07ceca56.jpg

19 minutes ago, disconovaman said:

The Type Two VW went virtually unchanged from 1950 to 1967. I believe the Revell kit in the picture is a 1958. Or maybe it was released/first issued in 58? I honestly don't know enough about those VWs to say what the differences (if any) are from year to year. I'd say since they used that bodystyle so long, it falls in that "close enough" category, kinda like alot of kits that are not exactly, but only changed slightly. I'm not going to be too critical on any entry as long as it falls in that category. 

Obviously I'm not doing the rules, but like Anthony said, the microbus was pretty much unchanged for the better part of a decade. Here's a '66 mircobus so if the kit matches, I'd say you're covered.

f1466d30-0f10-11eb-948a-794f8567af91-ZelectricQ420SiteHero4.jpg.00fab65e3dd56c55cf3b9526dc00182a.jpg

5 hours ago, Pat Minarick said:

Would this pass for 1966?51c78d78bd66a0cfd3491f07e0f67061.jpg.7b7d1fefc59eae21ac8b277d07ceca56.jpg

theres only a few small changes on the t1. Mainly its the front indicators, rear lights and bumpers. If you can find one of the recent revell t1 campers it has all the right bits in it. If you cant send me a pm and I can help you out

On 11/17/2021 at 8:29 PM, 426 pack said:

...but I’m a little stumped on what to build for myself as I can’t think of any good 1:1 cars from 2001...

The PT Cruiser was literally unchanged from 2000 through 2005, which the Revell kits represent. 2006 to 2010 the only changes were under the front bumper and interior details. With some work, these snappers can be a formidable stealth Cannonballer. In 2015 I massaged an Audi R8 chassis with rear engine drive under mine.

PTCruiser_LeftRearOpenHatch.jpg.10a0029a0f44cf948e4e45b5ff91803e.jpg

s-l640-1.jpg.a53105b437af256be52eb6465b8e0717.jpg

s-l640-2.jpg.0a4839c7d86bd380f6d46c6c3454996c.jpg

• Like 1

On 11/19/2021 at 10:00 AM, disconovaman said:

Awesome diorama! I don't think there's alot of difference between 50 and 51... As moderator I'm not gonna fault you for wavering from one year back or up if necessary. As long as you have the overall bodystyle of your YOB, that will be close enough by me... You have some great skills and ideas there, it looks like...🙂👍 I'd love to see you build with us. I appreciate your interest and hope to see you join in the fun with us. 

Here is a 50 (Black) and 51 (Green) for comparison...

Mr. Flintstone has a '51 Stude. I always liked a nice bulletnose. I have an Avanti. If I combined the two to keep it in the family, would I be eligible?

1 minute ago, landman said:

Thanks Anthony

No problem, welcome aboard. In the coming weeks I'll be posting the Official build thread for Next year's Cannonball Run. This will be the 15th annual Run and my third year hosting. I'll have a presentation with the rules and start date (January 1st 2022) and you'll be able to post updates and comments in that thread. I'm looking forward to it. Thanks for your participation and interest. 

Ok, I’m in again. 1970 for me too, hope I can find something to build😜
I was very excited about the song theme, I liked Adam Sandler “Ode to my car” I may be able to combine the Birth year theme, song theme, and 4 door theme all in one build. 
I would post the words to the song, but it would end up Blah, blah , blah. I talks about how big of a pile of dung his car is. A pile of dung car would fly under the radar. 

2 hours ago, Oldmopars said:

Ok, I’m in again. 1970 for me too, hope I can find something to build😜
I was very excited about the song theme, I liked Adam Sandler “Ode to my car” I may be able to combine the Birth year theme, song theme, and 4 door theme all in one build. 
I would post the words to the song, but it would end up Blah, blah , blah. I talks about how big of a pile of dung his car is. A pile of dung car would fly under the radar. 

I thought of that song too when that theme was being thrown around. Would be cool to see you bring that to life. Maybe use the 1970 galaxie taxi kit

7 minutes ago, Beans said:

I thought of that song too when that theme was being thrown around. Would be cool to see you bring that to life. Maybe use the 1970 galaxie taxi kit

That is my exact plan. The 1970 Galaxie 4 door, either the cop or taxi version. I may even make it look like an ex-government or taxi car and make it a complete hoopty. Rust, dents, cracked window, and a few other things. But, those kits have the Boss 429 under the hood and I will do the interior with stuff needed for the race, extra fuel tanks, etc. 

So, my build plan was just fine for about 4 of the suggested themes. 
This will be fun. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Mattilacken said:

Might have accidentally bought my entry.. it’s a started build though so I need to se what stage it’s in and in what shape.. might be more work if I need to strip the chassis completely

spacer.png

Anton, I may be able to help you with any missing/broken or alternative road car parts you require. I had a duplicate road car kit and I've used the bodyshell from it to reshell my original build, and I sold the engine to someone else, but I have the floorpan, suspension and interior all available and of limited use to me.

21 hours ago, Oldmopars said:

The 1970 Galaxie 4 door

Great Plan!

I had a feeling 70's cars were gonna be popular with the YOB theme. I'm really interested in seeing what more challenging Birth years (90's and millennium) will bring to the table. Model companies have the 60's 70's and 80's covered.

I'm a 73 So I'm thinking a Camaro, Mustang, Monte Carlo, maybe a Chevy or Ford Truck... or a VW Beetle (re-imagined). I'm also thinking about turning something into a wagon that was never a wagon. I'm still brainstorming some ways of combining more than one of the proposed ideas into one build also. I still have awhile to come up with a plan... 😆 

Happy Thanksgiving to Everyone!