Model Cars Magazine Forum

2022 Cannonball Group Build theme suggestion thread

Fat Brian

10 minutes ago, Bullybeef said:

I guess we will need some “grey” areas in the rules. Like I’m a November kid, I’m sure some 71 models dropped in late 70…

Oh yes. Back in those days, the new models usually appeared in September. That was an exciting time of year--new school year, new TV season, new cars, new MODEL cars! :D

On 10/4/2021 at 3:14 PM, Fat Brian said:

It's that time again folks, the days are growing short and it's time to pick a theme for next year's Cannonball. I've got a few to get the ball rolling, please post you're ideas as well so we can pick a winner.

Idea #1: Lemonball

Like the 24 Hours of Lemons, build a budget race car to drive coast to coast. You can build a serious attempt at a race car or a ridiculous clunker, whatever strikes your fancy.

Idea #2: Birth-year Ball

Build a vehicle from the year you were born, or as close as you can get. Modify any way you want or not at all, just get it to the starting line.

@Snake45i think the rules will let you get your 55

Hey fellows, I want to address the topic in question about exact year of birth. My thoughts are this... if you have a birth year that isn't inspiring to you or doesn't offer alot of options and you must build one year up (ex. 1955 Chevy if your YOB is 1954). Then I would make an exception in those extreme cases. However, I still encourage you to make the best of an unconventional situation. In the spirit of the YOB theme, why not work with what you have?... if you were born in 1959 and only one kit is available (ex. 59 Impala) then build that kit the best it's ever been built. You can turn out a great result with any kit. Even if it's not interesting to you, surely someone else will appreciate it.

We're model builders, it's what we do. I've watched you guys build Awesome kits during my time on the forum so I know you all can build something from nothing. I can't stress enough that my personal goal is to get you all inspired to build for the CBR and whatever it takes to motivate Everyone I'm here for ya! 😁😄😊

I appreciate the feedback and participation and I really want to accommodate all builders. I'm not here to complicate the matter. I will likely bend rules on a theme but I will try to keep all the original CBR rules in place. The Heart of the Cannonball Run Community Build was always to get folks building models! Thanks for the support, your opinions are invaluable to me!💯

• Like 2

Okay, looks like I'll be in with a '55 Chev. Only other possibility of any appeal to me would be to build the '53 Studebaker and call it a '54. I don't think there were many if any changes and they'd just be trim, right? Not gonna do a bunch of research and work to "convert" it to true '54 specs, because for what I'd have in mind, there'd be little if any trim on it anyway. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Wow. Wanna swap for 1954? 

Grant you, 1954 is tough. Most obvious is the Revell 54 Chevys, panel and sedan. Not ideal. Truly. Then there's the Mobius '54 Hudson. Better. Resin Realm has parts to make a '54 from a '50 Chevy pickup kit.

http://resinrealm.net/-MCM/TRUCKS/54ChevPickUp/54chevpickup.html

https://resin-model-kit.com/1_25_resin_1954_54_chevy_chevrolet_3100_panel_van_amt_1950_50.htm

The Tamiya Mercedes 300SL? Technically the '55 Tbird was released in Sept. or the previous year.

I think if you do some searches for some resin transkits, you have more options than you think. And will have a very unique model when it's done.

43 minutes ago, Jantrix said:

Grant you, 1954 is tough. Most obvious is the Revell 54 Chevys, panel and sedan. Not ideal. Truly. Then there's the Mobius '54 Hudson. Better. Resin Realm has parts to make a '54 from a '50 Chevy pickup kit.

http://resinrealm.net/-MCM/TRUCKS/54ChevPickUp/54chevpickup.html

https://resin-model-kit.com/1_25_resin_1954_54_chevy_chevrolet_3100_panel_van_amt_1950_50.htm

The Tamiya Mercedes 300SL? Technically the '55 Tbird was released in Sept. or the previous year.

I think if you do some searches for some resin transkits, you have more options than you think. And will have a very unique model when it's done.

Oh, it's not that 1954 options/possibilities aren't available, it's just that I have zero interest in building a model of any of them, with the possible exception of the Studebaker. ;)

22 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

with the possible exception of the Studebaker. ;)

I love that bodystyle of Studebaker... 53 would pass for a 54 easily. I wouldn't sweat the differences. I'm sure we're gonna see plenty of Chevys and why not? They are the most popular subjects. I'm trying to go a different route honestly. Still thinking it over... I'd like to have a Studebaker for an option. I'm gonna come up with something though. 😁

5 hours ago, disconovaman said:

Hey fellows, I want to address the topic in question about exact year of birth. My thoughts are this... if you have a birth year that isn't inspiring to you or doesn't offer alot of options and you must build one year up (ex. 1955 Chevy if your YOB is 1954). Then I would make an exception in those extreme cases. However, I still encourage you to make the best of an unconventional situation. In the spirit of the YOB theme, why not work with what you have?... if you were born in 1959 and only one kit is available (ex. 59 Impala) then build that kit the best it's ever been built. You can turn out a great result with any kit. Even if it's not interesting to you, surely someone else will appreciate it. 

Don't forget the '59 Elcamino , Imperial, Corvette, or maybe a Nash Metropolitan. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Oh, it's not that 1954 options/possibilities aren't available, it's just that I have zero interest in building a model of any of them, with the possible exception of the Studebaker. ;)

I getcha. Frankly, I feel the same about my choices from '68. "Yawn" another muscle car. Happy though, the 66-69 Riviera is a favorite that's been sitting in my stash for a good while, waiting for inspiration! 😃 I'm sure there are other options but I'm happy with this one.

I have done the Stude for a Cannonball and it's not without its challenges despite being a great kit. The posable front wheels and associated parts are a bit out of scale and cause the front suspension to be highly visible underneath the front bumper, when they aren't on the real car. I spiced in a Revell C3 Corvette front subframe that fit terrifically and fixed the problem.

3 hours ago, Oldmopars said:

1970 SIIA. 

Now you're talking! I wanna do something A-typical like this.

4 hours ago, Jantrix said:

another muscle car.

Yeah, I understand but honestly we have a good selection of subjects because of the muscle car era. I've been studying AMC and some foreign options to transform into a muscle car.😆

4 hours ago, Bullybeef said:

I had it excluded by scale

We do allow 1:24th scale and 1:20th (if you must build that scale)but 1:25th scale seems to be the go-to... I started building models in the 80's and mostly 1/24th scale was what I built so from a nostalgic standpoint I still like building them. Monogram 1:24th kits are simple and straightforward but build up nicely I think. 

23 minutes ago, disconovaman said:

Yeah, I understand but honestly we have a good selection of subjects because of the muscle car era. I've been studying AMC and some foreign options to transform into a muscle car.😆

We do allow 1:24th scale and 1:20th (if you must build that scale)but 1:25th scale seems to be the go-to... I started building models in the 80's and mostly 1/24th scale was what I built so from a nostalgic standpoint I still like building them. Monogram 1:24th kits are simple and straightforward but build up nicely I think. 

If you compare the late SIIA to the SIII it is hard to tell the difference. Pictures are SIIA, Revells is a SIII. 
I’m sure one of us could pull it off. 

F80FF239-FCEE-4E54-A2B9-5540242266C8.jpeg

E4D17F01-E66D-4C51-A1CD-6CDB0CD4373A.webp

C1B21977-C111-4493-B6E7-C130C171B690.jpeg

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, disconovaman said:

It’s not so much of what the rules allow, it’s that I build predominantly 1:25th scale, so therefore I have no spare parts in 1:24th. 
no worries when it comes down to the entry deadline I’ll have something sorted. 
most of my building stash is 32 to 36 era cars and trucks. And I’ve slowly started dabbling in mid 70’s to mid eighties trucks and SUV’s and a couple of mid to late 60’s mustangs.  I know I have a lot of options but I have to at least like the source materiel. And a lot of the available kits to me have been done to death and have no “original” my style options.

Well after a lot of searching and trying to find a few different models I have decided to go with one of the Aoshima 1997-05 Toyota hilux I haven’t decided on what one of the 3 kits pictured but I do believe that they are all just curb side kits so there’s lots of potential for some interesting engine swaps.... 

7AC6B7E9-5DB9-43B9-B625-CC718DB8A127.jpeg

6CA554E0-8B65-4305-AD6D-850001BBF158.jpeg

6905ECB0-1FD6-4AD4-800F-1F4213F5D550.jpeg

• Like 2

7 hours ago, 426 pack said:

Well after a lot of searching and trying to find a few different models I have decided to go with one of the Aoshima 1997-05 Toyota hilux I haven’t decided on what one of the 3 kits pictured but I do believe that they are all just curb side kits so there’s lots of potential for some interesting engine swaps.... 

7AC6B7E9-5DB9-43B9-B625-CC718DB8A127.jpeg

6CA554E0-8B65-4305-AD6D-850001BBF158.jpeg

6905ECB0-1FD6-4AD4-800F-1F4213F5D550.jpeg

Yep, all these are curbside. For a unique swap check out the Clearly Scale 1UZ resin kits, they have a few supercharged versions of a Toyota v8 that should have been available in these trucks from the factory.

14 hours ago, Bullybeef said:

Went to my local hobby shop today, they had bought in a collection of older sealed kits.

found this!! 
opened it up did some research and confirmed it’s a 1970!! So I got my build. 

D8C16750-EA2D-4769-9CA5-9CBB5EF4AB86.jpeg

Nice find!!  That is going to be really cool.  Can't wait to see it built.