Jump to content
Model Cars Magazine Forum

2022 Cannonball Group Build theme suggestion thread


Fat Brian
 Share

Recommended Posts

20 hours ago, Koellefornia Kid said:

Hmmmm... that will be ´78 for me. Had a look at my stash and found only one kit of that year but I got some ideas for it already:

1490957907_gooncar.jpg.4a1976a8288d6dc2b56ca76488a90d54.jpg

AMT´s ´78 Dodge Monaco ...certainly painted differently!

That'd be cool, drop in a Viper V10 perhaps, but keep it looking like something an elderly couple use to drive into town once a week?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Got my project for the next run in the mail today.

AMT Street Machines ´76 Chevy Nova

Plan is to convert it into a ´77 4door (because of my year of birth). Maybe as a Pro Touring as well because of the street machine parts.

Interior should become mostly stock eventually with modern seats.

IMG_20211117_190627.jpg.29a8e9c6668cdecde10a06519fe8b34f.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Spottedlaurel said:

That'd be cool, drop in a Viper V10 perhaps, but keep it looking like something an elderly couple use to drive into town once a week?

Put a Dodge in your Dodge! Of course it will have the V10! 😜 Not sure abbot that "elderly couple" thing, I think it will go into a pro touring direction. Who cares if it will draw attention, it will be faster than anybody else! 😁 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Koellefornia Kid said:

Put a Dodge in your Dodge! Of course it will have the V10! 😜 Not sure abbot that "elderly couple" thing, I think it will go into a pro touring direction. Who cares if it will draw attention, it will be faster than anybody else! 😁 

I cobbled this one together some years (well,decades) ago:

AMT 1:25 Dodge Monaco

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, camaro69 said:

Got my project for the next run in the mail today.

AMT Street Machines ´76 Chevy Nova

Plan is to convert it into a ´77 4door (because of my year of birth). Maybe as a Pro Touring as well because of the street machine parts.

Interior should become mostly stock eventually with modern seats.

IMG_20211117_190627.jpg.29a8e9c6668cdecde10a06519fe8b34f.jpg

That will make a neat build, it's going to be cool to see a lot of malaise Era hot rods.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, camaro69 said:

Got my project for the next run in the mail today.

AMT Street Machines ´76 Chevy Nova

Plan is to convert it into a ´77 4door (because of my year of birth). Maybe as a Pro Touring as well because of the street machine parts.

Interior should become mostly stock eventually with modern seats.

Nice! I'll be watching the 4 dr conversion because I need to convert one for a tribute build.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, MeatMan said:

convert one for a tribute build.

Or you could just get the Greg Wann resin trans kit. It's a very nice kit and well done. IMO it's more accurate than the MPC Hatchback. I have two...

 

7 hours ago, camaro69 said:

(because of my year of birth).

My favorite car ever! I'm envious! Makes me wish I was born later 😆 I would definitely build one of these!  I'm excited to see this project come together!  

6 hours ago, Koellefornia Kid said:

Who cares if it will draw attention,  😁 

Yeah I think the "Ruse" will forever be on our minds when we think of the Cannonball from now on... 😁 But Yeah I want to see far out looking Pro- Touring Hot Rod builds that leave no doubt that it's fast and built for the Cannonball Run! 😄

20201129_220827.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well I’m all for the birth year idea but I’m a little stumped on what to build for myself as I can’t think of any good 1:1 cars from 2001 let alone anything in 1:24/25 scale. I’ll keep looking though and if anyone knows of any kits I’m open to all suggestions. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well I think I finally found my inspiration

Another 1970 birth year here.  There is always a bunch of 1970 models available.  I struggled with coming up with something new and inspiring to me.  Definitely found it.

Lets see if I can turn this:

amtamt635.jpg.56b1108e7b5d969bc7466e549b4e51de.jpg

 

Into something like this:

Road-Rage-1970-Camaro-with-a-454-ci-LSX-V8-01.jpg.e52973963ddc343367fa2ce8c16c0e45.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, disconovaman said:

Or you could just get the Greg Wann resin trans kit. It's a very nice kit and well done. IMO it's more accurate than the MPC Hatchback. I have two...

 

My favorite car ever! I'm envious! Makes me wish I was born later 😆 I would definitely build one of these!  I'm excited to see this project come together!  

Yeah I think the "Ruse" will forever be on our minds when we think of the Cannonball from now on... 😁 But Yeah I want to see far out looking Pro- Touring Hot Rod builds that leave no doubt that it's fast and built for the Cannonball Run! 😄

 

Yeah, I tried that and he said he'd do it but never did. I'll hit him up again I guess. Thanks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Beans said:

Well I think I finally found my inspiration

Another 1970 birth year here.  There is always a bunch of 1970 models available.  I struggled with coming up with something new and inspiring to me.  Definitely found it.

Lets see if I can turn this:

amtamt635.jpg.56b1108e7b5d969bc7466e549b4e51de.jpg

 

Into something like this:

Road-Rage-1970-Camaro-with-a-454-ci-LSX-V8-01.jpg.e52973963ddc343367fa2ce8c16c0e45.jpg

I like it and would love to see you give it a go. I did this one for a previous CBR and it turned out to be fun.

Camaro Front Angle.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/18/2021 at 3:00 AM, disconovaman said:

Or you could just get the Greg Wann resin trans kit. It's a very nice kit and well done. IMO it's more accurate than the MPC Hatchback. I have two...

I know about this one. Seems to be as nice as the Crown Victoria I have already from him but at the moment I don´t have the bucks to buy it.

I have the chance to get a 1979 MPC kit from a friend so I will try to do the same conversion Dwayne did for the resin kit.

Selfmade man...😁

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Fat Brian said:

I spent almost $200 on this year's build

Yeah that's alot! I would say too much if I hadn't spent what did on a snap together kit... 😁 $43 from China... (kits never arrived) $56 more from a different vendor... (Bethlehem Pa. USA) $25 on the die-cast for wheels and tires (basically). And here I was crying about a measly $124 when there are other hobbies that cost in the thousands for one purchase. 😆  I do realize that this hobby does ad up. When models were cheaper back in the 90's, I would buy one a week (about ten bucks a week)... I thought that was fair to myself and I didn't over-do it.

The Mustang turned out great! And the final result was worth every penny!

48 minutes ago, camaro69 said:

Seems to be as nice as the Crown Victoria I have already

I want the Crown Vic too... that will be my next purchase from Greg and a couple more Novas while I'm at it. 😁

 

14 hours ago, MeatMan said:

I'll hit him up again I guess.

Yeah, even Greg himself will tell ya he's not the best at remembering orders. You have to stay persistent with him. But the product is superb. 😁

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, landman said:

Well, looks like I was born in a bad year, 1951. Other than the '51 Chevy what is there?

I think 51 was a good year... How about the 3100 Chevy? It's a great kit and you can do alot with it...

Or the 51 Henry J that's due out soon? I'd personally like to see this get built... The 51 Chevy that you mentioned is a perfect candidate also... I love that kit and you could choose to build the Fleetline or the convertible. 

350Wx350H-1665678-0518.jpg

revell-1951-henry-j.jpg.cd8d7bfec5ce73b3894123a7d233212a.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, disconovaman said:

I think 51 was a good year... How about the 3100 Chevy? It's a great kit and you can do alot with it...

Or the 51 Henry J that's due out soon? I'd personally like to see this get built... The 51 Chevy that you mentioned is a perfect candidate also... I love that kit and you could choose to build the Fleetline or the convertible. 

350Wx350H-1665678-0518.jpg

 

That is a 1950. I'll check to see if there is much difference between the 50 and 51. I have a built one. 

DSC_0013.JPG.27382dcca06b24b64e7026e123975f25.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/18/2021 at 3:29 AM, 426 pack said:

Well I’m all for the birth year idea but I’m a little stumped on what to build for myself as I can’t think of any good 1:1 cars from 2001 let alone anything in 1:24/25 scale. I’ll keep looking though and if anyone knows of any kits I’m open to all suggestions. 

btw. there is this one also.. seems to be a nice kit with detailed race interior 

 

1238396-38473-77-pristine.png

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/nunu-pn24007-bmw-320i-e46--1238396

And tou have the corvette and wrangler as well

Edited by Mattilacken
Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, landman said:

I'll check to see if there is much difference between the 50 and 51. I have a built one. 

DSC_0013.JPG.27382dcca06b24b64e7026e123975f25.jpg

Awesome diorama! I don't think there's alot of difference between 50 and 51... As moderator I'm not gonna fault you for wavering from one year back or up if necessary. As long as you have the overall bodystyle of your YOB, that will be close enough by me... You have some great skills and ideas there, it looks like...🙂👍 I'd love to see you build with us. I appreciate your interest and hope to see you join in the fun with us. 

Here is a 50 (Black) and 51 (Green) for comparison...

1950-chevrolet-3100-5-window-pickup.jpeg.jpg

1951-chevy-pickup-main.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, disconovaman said:

Awesome diorama! I don't think there's alot of difference between 50 and 51... As moderator I'm not gonna fault you for wavering from one year back or up if necessary. As long as you have the overall bodystyle of your YOB, that will be close enough by me... You have some great skills and ideas there, it looks like...🙂👍 I'd love to see you build with us. I appreciate your interest and hope to see you join in the fun with us. 

Here is a 50 (Black) and 51 (Green) for comparison...

 

You are right, no visible differences.

1947-1959_Chevy_Truck_Model_Years_50.jpg

1947-1959_Chevy_Truck_Model_Years_51.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/17/2021 at 8:29 PM, 426 pack said:

Well I’m all for the birth year idea but I’m a little stumped on what to build for myself as I can’t think of any good 1:1 cars from 2001 let alone anything in 1:24/25 scale. I’ll keep looking though and if anyone knows of any kits I’m open to all suggestions. 

If you're not against imports/exotics there are some really good kits available:

Ferrari 360 or 550 Maranello, Lamborghini Diablo or Gallardo, Acura NSX, Toyota Supra among them.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...