Model Cars Magazine Forum

'62 Ford Galaxie 500 Update! 12/23/22 Finally Done! Pic pg. 7

Plowboy

2 hours ago, espo said:

This is coming along great. You mention doing something different with the side trim. I like to look on Google Images to look at images of 1:1 cars to see how the different features of the color and trim work together on a build. Ford used this style of trim to introduce a contrasting color in the side trim and often looked good without the chrome portion being the focal point.  To get the style of interior it sounds like you're wanting it maybe that you will have to cut it up so that you can change it. I'm sure you have built  newer kits with interiors done in this way and you can use that as a guide to reassembling the interior. 

I do the same thing. That's how I found all of the different interiors. I'm going to stick with the '60 interior. Cutting up an old interior and making it look decent is a lot of work. Especially when the door panels are molded to the seat. The juice isn't worth the squeeze. 

I like how this sedan is trimmed.

images.jpeg.d8272e591ce170dafe78c5add14cc2e9.jpeg

Thinking this is what I'll do with the body. 

• Like 1

On 10/6/2021 at 2:45 PM, Plowboy said:

I should probably quit now. I'm pretty sure I've used used up all of my luck on this project. That or I got a small reward for what I went through getting the hood and trunk cut out. They were both extremely thick! Plus, it didn't help that this styrene is hard and brittle. But, I did catch some luck with the firewall as it needed very little work to fit. The radiator core support also fit. I'm going to modify it so that it will meet up to the fenders.

20211006_003749-1.jpg.e6ed11f2f063b15cc5da6412d2c3d92a.jpg

I added a strip of .040 to the tail panel to give it a little more strength.

20211006_003918-1.jpg.6da5149598b53cc3d7b1bdbfb028cb41.jpg

This is what I have to work with on the underside of the hood and trunk. 

20211006_003844-1.jpg.7c4fff177e8a94e22c7626521705f50a.jpg

I've definitely scrapped the roof swap plan. This styrene is so hard and brittle that I don't think regular styrene would bond well to it.

That isn't styrene, as what you have here is a promo model. The kit version has an opening hood, and is molded in styrene. 

19 hours ago, Plowboy said:

I do the same thing. That's how I found all of the different interiors. I'm going to stick with the '60 interior. Cutting up an old interior and making it look decent is a lot of work. Especially when the door panels are molded to the seat. The juice isn't worth the squeeze. 

I like how this sedan is trimmed.

images.jpeg.d8272e591ce170dafe78c5add14cc2e9.jpeg

Thinking this is what I'll do with the body. 

I understand what you're saying about the interior. Going with the body style in your picture it would make sense to remove part of the side moldings and just create a B pillar. 

On 10/7/2021 at 9:40 AM, Plowboy said:

I would've stuck a '63 top on that one! I'm still thinking about doing it to this one! I'm just concerned about getting the two bonded well. 

Do not forget about the Starlift option they had trying to make the car sleeker for NASCAR.. Remember, they raced convertibles too and this was to be an "ad on" to the convertible stock car. Too bad for a street car the rear windows wouldn't match the roof.

Power by Ford (Ford, Mercury, Edsel, Lincoln): 1962 NASCAR ...'62 Ford "Starlift" bolt on convertible top concept ...Power by Ford (Ford, Mercury, Edsel, Lincoln): 1962 NASCAR ...

5 hours ago, espo said:

I understand what you're saying about the interior. Going with the body style in your picture it would make sense to remove part of the side moldings and just create a B pillar. 

I'm not going to add a B pillar. I am going to shave the scripts, badges and side trim down. Don't know about the wheel opening and rocker trim yet.

The later non-warping promos were made of Cycolac, a trade name for Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene - or ABS. Depending on how the material was mixed, Cycolac can either be tough and resilient, or brittle and fragile. Either way, it's difficult stuff to glue. You can use ABS adhesive like Loctite Super Glue for plastics with activator, or Gorilla 2 part epoxy.

14 hours ago, Maindrian Pace said:

The later non-warping promos were made of Cycolac, a trade name for Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene - or ABS. Depending on how the material was mixed, Cycolac can either be tough and resilient, or brittle and fragile. Either way, it's difficult stuff to glue. You can use ABS adhesive like Loctite Super Glue for plastics with activator, or Gorilla 2 part epoxy.

Yeah, it is a pain to work with. You literally can't cut it with an Xacto blade. I found that out last night when I went to shave the badges and trim. It wouldn't cut. It would chip away. 

On 10/6/2021 at 5:59 PM, StevenGuthmiller said:

I could have saved you a little work Roger, if you would have been interested in building a convertible instead.

Have a pretty nice convertible body and hood! ;)

image.jpeg.0df2ee5843a6e3d72adfada77bf50f3b.jpeg

image.jpeg.fc971cf799a899d86dfbf34c7389b2c2.jpeg

Steve

I like it..! here’s an old build I did in Chestnut..

27937523-D985-4901-BC79-1E0E587F435A.jpeg

Here is my in-laws Sunliner. Running an early 70's 351c/C6.Taken in Oct of 2005. Funny how things have changed. The whole family is in the pics. Two oldest boys are now married and mom-in-law is no longer with us. Car is waiting for me to install its new distributor.

If you need any detail pics, pm me.

Sams Car Pics 137.jpg

Edited by Sam I Am

19 hours ago, Sam I Am said:

Here is my in-laws Sunliner. Running an early 70's 351c/C6.Taken in Oct of 2005. Funny how things have changed. The whole family is in the pics. Two oldest boys are now married and mom-in-law is no longer with us. Car is waiting for me to install its new distributor.

Sams Car Pics 137.jpg

I don't want to hijack Roger's thread but,,

Here's my uncle Walter's '62. 

100 0278

100 0279

100 0280

19 hours ago, Sam I Am said:

That's a nice looking Sunliner Sam! One detail photo I could really use is an overhead where the A pillar, cowl and door meet up. It appears that the panel line between the door and fender ends right under the A pillar. It's not how it is on this promo body.  

16 hours ago, Plowboy said:

That's a nice looking Sunliner Sam! One detail photo I could really use is an overhead where the A pillar, cowl and door meet up. It appears that the panel line between the door and fender ends right under the A pillar. It's not how it is on this promo body.  

No problem,  I can do that later today or tomorrow. 

2 hours ago, timIowa1 said:

Be following this one. Was my graduation present in '71. Wanted a ' 70 Challenger T/A got a '62 Ford 4 door with t- bird buckets. Drove the wheels off it. Cool project Tim

That reminds me. I have the '62 T-Bird in the stash. I'll have to check out the seats and console. 

• Like 1

I now have the body cleaned up and almost ready for primer. Just have to add some detail to the hood and trunk openings. It was a task reducing the wide trim down to a single strip! I need to make the recess in the chrome strip on the front fenders extend farther forward. It's getting closer!

20211015_091039-1.jpg.54ccb7824545ae14c20ce9c90f6b62c1.jpg

• Plowboy changed the title to '62 Ford Galaxie 500 Update! 12/23/22 Finally Done! Pic pg. 7