Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ferrari F2001 Monza Blacknose

2v2aYiu3rximYT.jpg

It is now over twenty years ago that Ferrari raced at the 2001 Italian Grand Prix at Monza with black noses and no livery to honour the victims of the 911 attacks only five days before. It was a strikingly memorable tribute at a very subdued Grand Prix. Ferraris did fairly well in the race that day finishing second and fourth while Juan Pablo Montoya took his first victory in a Williams-BMW from pole position. Earlier that same year I witnessed those same Ferraris race in full livery at the Canadian Grand Prix – a race also won by a Williams-BMW driven by Ralf Schumacher who finished third at Monza. Ten years after the 2001 F1 season, I attended 2011 Italian Grand Prix at Monza.

2v2aYiUmGximYT.jpg

Sometime in the intervening years I acquired the Tamiya kit of the Ferrari F2001 always with the intention of building it as the black nose version. Now twenty years after it raced, I figured it was time to get it done. Because my primary objective was to represent the simplicity of the black nose and no livery, I decided to build it straight from the box with next to no extra detailing. Monza is a high-speed circuit so F-1 cars always race there in low drag configuration. As such the F-2001 did not use the center rear wing so it was left off and the upper wing had two elements which I simulated by scribing. Up front the two inner elements on the end plates were removed.

2v2aYi9DjximYT.jpg2v2aYi9K8ximYT.jpg

The most involved and time-consuming aspect of this build was the painting. Almost all the red body parts had to be painted satin black on the undersides so a lot of masking was required. Tamiya spray can was used exclusively including Tamiya Pink Primer under the Bright Red. I have read that Ferrari uses pink primer on their red cars. While the white areas of the wings could have been done with decals, I decided to paint them.

I have not built a Tamiya kit in awhile and even though this one is twenty years old it is an absolutely top-notch model kit and was a very enjoyable build.

The most involved and time-consuming aspect of this build was the painting. Almost all the red body parts had to be painted satin black on the undersides so a lot of masking was required. Tamiya spray can was used exclusively including Tamiya Pink Primer under the Bright Red. I have read that Ferrari uses pink primer on their red cars. While the white areas of the wings could have been done with decals, I decided to paint them.

I have not built a Tamiya kit in awhile and even though this one is twenty years old it is an absolutely top-notch model kit and was a very enjoyable build.

2v2aYi9odximYT.jpg

• Like 1

It is Canadian Thanksgiving Weekend so thanks a lot guys.

On 10/6/2021 at 7:07 PM, iamsuperdan said:

I like it! I vaguely remember the race, but I definitely remember this paint scheme.

Nice job!

On 10/6/2021 at 8:15 PM, Rich Chernosky said:

Excellent job Phil. Really liked the background information. Makes one appreciate the model even more. 

On 10/6/2021 at 9:09 PM, slusher said:

very nice..

On 10/7/2021 at 3:21 AM, bbowser said:

Great paint, clean work.  Thanks for sharing.

On 10/8/2021 at 4:07 AM, PappyD340 said:

Looks great!

33 minutes ago, Silver Foxx said:

Real nice work , looks great .

• 4 months later...