Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ferrari Barchetta UMI Quarterman tribute

15 hours ago, absmiami said:

Dont you just live it when you send a text to the wrong part of the inter-planet !    Anyway …

pierre - time for a resin kit - 

but remember - its sort if like craft beer - once you’ve tried it - you won’t go back …. 

Ok ok, next project in the fall... perhaps a nice FPPM kit?

Adding some lead wire and Evergreen to make the features reinforcing the trunk … the wire is very soft -  so it will hug the contours of the hood - but its hard to glue - i had good results bonding to the resin with gorilla glue …

DF142876-4FC4-4F91-A4EB-72167A7A043F.jpeg

Off it comes - using the Tamiya scriber that ive become rather attached to ….   Now i’ll clean up what’s left and open those hatches - the left one holds the battery - the right one holds some tools or accesories …. Ill add the fuse boxes too …

B83FA428-ECD9-4BCB-AF47-650AF2390C82.jpeg

80201F9A-0D73-4626-A39F-E9364DB06000.jpeg

A14D6AA2-B9CA-4CED-A70D-FFBF77876A12.jpeg

Gramps and Andy Martin assembled a terrific library of early Ferrari research - maybe - not sure - when Martin was doing some Ferrari pattern work some years ago - this is the Barchetta transmission - developed in 1948 - and constantly modified until the GTO trans was made 12 years later …. But you can see the lineage … and if you don’t know who Andy Martin is - just ask …

C7EEFE41-56CA-4167-A30B-1232689B9F22.jpeg

• Like 1

Really nice model taking shape there Andrew. Those old Barchettas are very attractive looking cars.

I think that quite a number of years back Marshall Buck of CMA (Creative Miniature Associates) made a resin kit in a larger scale of either 1/16th or 1/12th scale. I went to a model car trade show that was held at the National Motorcycle Museum at Birmingham over here in the UK that must have been about 25 years ago. CMA had some products in a display and their Barchetta model was then current.

Mr Bugatti - there is a Marshall Buck connection here - andy martin’s research was done while he did some pattern work for Marshall’s large sc Barchetta - that kit is as rare as Quarterman’s Umi kit - Gramps may have one - 

8E5C64D5-1E67-43A2-ABF5-550405CDB844.jpeg

DE8A536D-40C7-47E5-B8F1-6C57C1ABA417.jpeg

Although I don't normally model these kinds of cars, they fascinate me, especially at venues like Laguna Seca or Pebble Beach. I can also appreciate the quality and effort you are putting into this model. You are doing a great job Andrew and I am following along and really enjoying this project. Well done!

ian - i’ve been lurking on your build threads in the drag section - i get my inspiration from trips to the Amelia Island Concourse in March - Amelia is now nearly as spectacular as Pebble Beach - did i see somewhere that you reside in Calgary ??