Model Cars Magazine Forum

55 NEWMAD

RadRidesByDan

This is a build that was based on a real 55 Nomad that was pictured in SuperRod magazine years ago. It took me 14 months to complete this build. The chassis is scratchbuilt from 63 pieces of plastic rod rectangular and round and 2 pieces of aluminum rod. The suspension was donated from late corvette and the motor and tranny from the 39 WagonRod kit. All aluminum pullies and the brackets for the A/C and alternator were all scratchbuilt.

The 15 inch brakes are from MCG and the 20 wheel & tires from hoppin hydro's. The chassis took me 110 hours to build not counting paint and drivetrain. The interior is also all scratchbuilt including full width floor board to fit the new chassis. The windshield has been raked back by grafting the rear glass from a 67 Nova II including the posts and cowl. The rear tail lights were laid forwrd and were made out of a 93 cent clear red toothbrush handle that was cut, carved and polished. Paint is PPG Cobalt Blue Pearl and Base white for the roof. The last picture shows the real car from the magazine with the model chassis sitting on top.

55Newmad1.jpg

55Newmad2.jpg

55Newmad3.jpg

55Newmad4.jpg

55Newmad7.jpg

55NewMad9a.jpg

Thanks for looking

Edited by RadRidesByDan

I love it Dan! Very clean build.

Can you show some of the interior?

The only thing I am missing are wires in the engine compartment.

When I get back from holidays I will get the interior pics for you.

As for the wires. I left them pf to be able to display the model like the real car was at one point in time with the body on a rotissorie and the frame beside it.

thanks for looking

Hola amigo! Dude you mos-def know yer way around this plastic man!! The tail lights the HT and that engine!!! I want a top-end set up like that HINT HINT YIKES!! Flawless execution. O' the back seat drivers are they in bucket seats or bench.. Keep on wit the keepin on!!

peace

ajulia

Hola amigo! Dude you mos-def know yer way around this plastic man!! The tail lights the HT and that engine!!! I want a top-end set up like that HINT HINT YIKES!! Flawless execution. O' the back seat drivers are they in bucket seats or bench.. Keep on wit the keepin on!!

peace

ajulia

The back seat drivers are in buckets......no benches here my friend

thanks for the comments and if your need any info on the mods..... just hollar

Kool Lil' Mad you got there! :o The Fullsize is one of my Fav Kustom Mads in recent years... :D You've done an execellent job with the Mercruiser Lotus Built LT5(Chevy took Mercruiser's SBC based Marine Powerhouse Engines, and contracted Lotus to correct the problems they were having adapting the engines to the New ZR1's at the time)... The LT5's are more or less better served as a Boat Anchor in Automotive applications(Practicality is poor due to lack of parts availability,the PCM programming is picky to say the least when attempting to make power modifications, and the list goes on), but they were High Horsepower Water Terrors when they were placed in Cigarette Speedboat... Their Automotive Application All Aluminum DOHC design is very visually pleasing though, and I have always wondered why GM hasn't explored the Concept further, especially given Toyota's impressive Success with their DOHC V8's that were Originally based off of GEN. I SBC's....

Obviously, the chassis is where all of the extra effort went on this build....beautiful workmanship. The engine detail and fittings are very first rate and sweet too. Nice job. About 7 years ago I did the Nomad based wagon that preceided this one, the RealMad wagon...when the Newmad wagon came out about a year later, I thought it was really neat...your build proves that, that is the case. Very nice.