Model Cars Magazine Forum

Stripping silver paint

The silver paint that was used on this glue bomb does not dissolve in Super Clean. What would be the next best stripper to use that won’t damage the clear plastic. I will be picking up some Novus polish later today to get rid of the small scuff marks.

Thanks.

049A848E-B67A-45CF-AB7A-F496B63289D1.jpeg

Edited by NOBLNG

1 hour ago, NOBLNG said:

And that won’t harm the clear plastic? I know it can make regular styrene brittle, and clear is already more brittle…?

Good question.. I've never used it on clear before.  Honestly, I'd just sand and polish it out if it were me.

3 hours ago, jchrisf said:

Good question.. I've never used it on clear before.  Honestly, I'd just sand and polish it out if it were me.

Ok, I sanded the raised rim which I am re-painting anyways and scraped the inside corners as much as possible. My local HS only had Tamiya compound, so I am trying to polish out the scratches. Some are fairly deep.🤨  What would be the coarsest grit paper that could be used prior the polishing compound?

DC59385C-623A-464D-8C6E-F8B39AF7A76C.jpeg

A little time consuming but If you start with fine polishing cloth and work your way down to coarser grit you won’t damage the clear any more than it’s damaged now. Then you can work your way back up in grit to a satisfactory level. If the scratch is deep you could then go to sandpaper proceeding the same way.

18 hours ago, NOBLNG said:

Ok, I sanded the raised rim which I am re-painting anyways and scraped the inside corners as much as possible. My local HS only had Tamiya compound, so I am trying to polish out the scratches. Some are fairly deep.🤨  What would be the coarsest grit paper that could be used prior the polishing compound?

DC59385C-623A-464D-8C6E-F8B39AF7A76C.jpeg

I'd probably start with 2,000 and go up to 6 or 8,000 then I use a Dremel with a buffing wheel and some Mequiar's Ultra-Cut and then polish.  The dremel makes it so much faster and smoother than I can do by hand

Edited by jchrisf

Thanks for the suggestions Guys. I have been going to town on it with the coarse polishing compound and I think I’m getting there. I mounted a piece of foam gasket on an old electric toothbrush, and it seems to be working fairly well.