Model Cars Magazine Forum

What happened to the '68 Impala molds???

On 10/20/2021 at 5:59 AM, Mark said:

Only one company made a promo in a given year.  For 1969, Impala promos were AMT only.  MPC made kits on their own dime because there was enough of a market for Impala kits for them to be profitable without the promo contract to help pay for the tooling.

Thanx for the info Mark! I thought my '69 promo had to be an MPC. 

• 2 months later...

Probably would be close, the interior panels may be the difference. It would be a cool to see a 68 come to market agian. I doubt this MPC copy I posted will ever get built. Highly unlikely 😆 If I owned it, I would cast/3D print the kit first.  It's the only one I've ever seen in person... BTW it's not mine either it belongs to one of the members in our local club. Knowing him, he'll never build it. 😆 

59 minutes ago, disconovaman said:

Knowing him, he'll never build it. 😆 

Yeah, it's much better to leave a kit like that in a box rather than build it and actually enjoy it.

48409049727_836d7bd02d_b.jpg.fa914f45219e4faf8d3e9ea52c4f095a.jpg

Round2 has been surprising us lately with the '67 four door Impala, the '63 Nova wagon, the '64 Olds and the Transtar that would never see the light of day in most people's opinion. I think it's only a matter of time. Time will tell. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Plowboy said:

that would never see the light of day in most people's opinion. 

My opinion is Round II to keep releasing those classic kits with improved tooling and expanded decal sheets. I buy them all if for nothing but for nostalgic reasons. I'll build just about anything truthfully... they have a good thing goin' It's exactly what we need in the car modeling world. 

That is one beautiful example of the 68 Impala... If that holy grail kit was mine I'd trade it for your built one in a heartbeat! 😁