Model Cars Magazine Forum

1990 Taurus SHO

Plowboy

What a cool take on a rarely seen model subject.  I really like what you did with this Roger!  I agree that Ford could have spiced up the exterior for the SHO a bit more than they did, but still find them cool rides.  I had a light blue metallic 94 plain jane model back in the day with the 3.8L, it actually moved out pretty smartly for it's time.

On 10/14/2021 at 8:57 PM, Claude Thibodeau said:

Hi Roger!

Well, this car pushes all the right buttons for me. Bravo! If only some daring builder had the guts to try that in 1/1 back then...

CT

Thanx Claude! I doubt any car builder would be willing to take on modifying an old Taurus. It would be cool to see someone do it. This build has got me wondering what other mundane cars would benefit from a similar treatment. 

On 10/16/2021 at 7:57 PM, bogger44 said:

What a cool take on a rarely seen model subject.  I really like what you did with this Roger!  I agree that Ford could have spiced up the exterior for the SHO a bit more than they did, but still find them cool rides.  I had a light blue metallic 94 plain jane model back in the day with the 3.8L, it actually moved out pretty smartly for it's time.

Thanx Tony! This was way out of my wheelhouse. But, I'm glad I did it. 

5 hours ago, Plowboy said:

Thanx Claude! I doubt any car builder would be willing to take on modifying an old Taurus. It would be cool to see someone do it. This build has got me wondering what other mundane cars would benefit from a similar treatment. 

Hi Roger!

Well, in 1989, I was the proud owner and "pilot" of a Merkur Scorpio, the large euro sedan that Fomoco was trying to push against the "other teutonic cars", and I must say it was one of the most pleasant cars I ever owned, and I had quite a few.

Your take on the Taurus reminds me a bit of that favorite ride... Nostalgia!

CT 

On 10/16/2021 at 7:13 AM, Koellefornia Kid said:

Oh 😳 ! Who would've thought that a Taurus can look that cool? Great wheel and colour choices and I just love that stance!

Yup! That sums it up. If someone told me they were going to make a “cool” Taurus… ya right. But you nailed it as always Roger. 

I have 2 questions: did you try smoke on the headlight/ taillights or just go straight to the black. I ask because for my 300c build I plan on doing smoked lenses,  but they may end up black. I will experiment on my own, but curious if tried smoke first.

For the body script did you do the “paint over foil” technique?

Keep the cool builds coming sir, I truly enjoy them.

11 hours ago, Steve H said:

Yup! That sums it up. If someone told me they were going to make a “cool” Taurus… ya right. But you nailed it as always Roger. 

I have 2 questions: did you try smoke on the headlight/ taillights or just go straight to the black. I ask because for my 300c build I plan on doing smoked lenses,  but they may end up black. I will experiment on my own, but curious if tried smoke first.

For the body script did you do the “paint over foil” technique?

Keep the cool builds coming sir, I truly enjoy them.

Thanx Steve! I had to sand the chrome headlights smooth. So, I just painted them and the tail lights with TS-14 Black. The scripts were just sanded down to the gray styrene. I was planning on painting them black. But, liked how they looked.  

I did the paint over foil on my '69 Impala. But, I foiled them before the last coat of paint. It worked a lot better for me.

Edited by Plowboy