Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell ‘37 Ford Pickup

I picked this up at a flea market recently. It was partially assembled and everything was brush painted…and I mean everything!😳  It came apart easily because even the mating surfaces of the heads and engine block halves were painted before being glued together. I am building it stock with just a bit of detailing. One issue with this kit is that the hood does not go on and off easily. The rad is sloped back and the cab is a lot narrower at the bottom than at the cowl.😕

17D1F913-91E8-42B1-88E0-A6793ACF3F73.jpeg

45C3D1DE-CE6F-4C1E-B343-917F0483D82C.jpeg

7DD14729-9EEB-47D4-9C3D-24090C4028F7.jpeg

4875FBBB-25C7-4CE0-AC6A-E501A797ECDB.jpeg

This is a great kit. I have had a chance to build a couple and really look forward to building more of them. The hood issue you mention is an issue , but bare in mind the 1:1 has the same general shape. I found mounting the radiator using the hood as the spacer between it and the firewall seams to work well. The 1:1 had the hinges on both sides of hood as well as down the middle of the hood and that's why it wasn't an issue in life. In our scale of work this can offer a problem. Mine all have just the top of the hood and no sides. Might not work in your stock build style. Leave it as a one piece and spread the bottom slightly when removing or installing the hood.  

1 hour ago, espo said:

This is a great kit. I have had a chance to build a couple and really look forward to building more of them. The hood issue you mention is an issue , but bare in mind the 1:1 has the same general shape. I found mounting the radiator using the hood as the spacer between it and the firewall seams to work well. The 1:1 had the hinges on both sides of hood as well as down the middle of the hood and that's why it wasn't an issue in life. In our scale of work this can offer a problem. Mine all have just the top of the hood and no sides. Might not work in your stock build style. Leave it as a one piece and spread the bottom slightly when removing or installing the hood.  

Thanks, that is what I did to set the radiator shell in place, with a shim to get some clearance. I have been toying with the idea of hinging the hood…but fear I may mess it up beyond repair. I’ve also thought of glueing the hood sides solid and making just the top portion removable? There really isn’t a lot to see under there anyways.

I got the chassis and drivetrain  painted and mostly assembled. I added a door lock which is apparently only on the curbside, since it wasn’t safe to stand there in traffic while locking the drivers door. You know how crazy they were about safety back in ‘37!😬 I also made a raised cowl vent for it…only took me three tries to get it looking half decent. I’m not sure what that lump under the battery tray is…I’m guessing a solenoid?

138540FC-3500-44B4-809C-9FAC717592C1.jpeg

D18B2AE0-8BF9-4535-B387-119D24AFE176.jpeg

9B65B9CB-66E1-4905-9714-B27753B59C9D.jpeg

CD3BDBBF-79D7-4D8B-B435-9E47A8BDC682.jpeg

Great looking mesh detail on the cowl vent. Your stock engine is looking good. The hood hinge thing, I wouldn't try it myself unless I had some premade after market hinges. I know a few builders here would just make them but I'm afraid they would look like I made them. 

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Zippi said:

Boy that green looks smooth, deep, and shiny.  I like the way your holding the tailgate to paint it.  Did you drill holes in the ends of the tailgate?

Thanks, it’s Tamiya British Green and Tamiya Clear. Yes, I am going to mount the tailgate with little pins for hinges and real chains. I’ve got a flaw in the paint though, so I’m working on something else till I figure out how to deal with it.

On 10/10/2021 at 12:20 PM, NOBLNG said:

I got the chassis and drivetrain  painted and mostly assembled. I added a door lock which is apparently only on the curbside, since it wasn’t safe to stand there in traffic while locking the drivers door. You know how crazy they were about safety back in ‘37!😬 I also made a raised cowl vent for it…only took me three tries to get it looking half decent. I’m not sure what that lump under the battery tray is…I’m guessing a solenoid?

138540FC-3500-44B4-809C-9FAC717592C1.jpeg

D18B2AE0-8BF9-4535-B387-119D24AFE176.jpeg

9B65B9CB-66E1-4905-9714-B27753B59C9D.jpeg

CD3BDBBF-79D7-4D8B-B435-9E47A8BDC682.jpeg

Yup.  I beleive It was a starter solenoid.  

37 Starter Solenoid.jpg

0db2d1aacf903894e4941548c6c8fb4c.jpg

Well I’m debating whether to just toss this one in the pond or try to touch it up. I sprayed the Tamiya clear straight from the can and it went on pretty heavy. On the one side of the box it affected the color coat below, making it wick away from edges and even flat spaces above the fenders.🤬 There is no evidence of this happening on the cab, hood or tailgate, so maybe this area was contaminated somehow? Anyway, I guess I have nothing to lose by attempting a touch up job.🤨

A1A7CE8D-0FE8-4E68-9561-C87528257503.jpeg

Edited by NOBLNG

5 minutes ago, NOBLNG said:

Well I’m debating whether to just toss this one in the pond or try to touch it up. I sprayed the Tamiya clear straight from the can and it went on pretty heavy. On the one side of the box it affected the color coat below, making it wick away from edges and even flat spaces above the fenders.🤬 There is no evidence of this happening on the cab, hood or tailgate, so maybe this area was contaminated somehow? Anyway, I guess I have nothing to lose by attempting a touch up job.🤨

A1A7CE8D-0FE8-4E68-9561-C87528257503.jpeg

I hate it when something goes wrong with paint and I've had my fair share.  Can't hurt to shoot it again and if all else fails put it in the pond. 

• 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, Zippi said:

Holly strip job Batman ☺  Looks like it needs a little more time in the drink.  

I had it in Super Clean and it didn’t even want to touch the Tamiya clear. So I soaked in isopropanol. Now that the clear is gone, I will try the SC again. If that doesn’t work then it’s brake fluid next. 🤨

For your hood fit dilema, have you thought about using scotch tape for a hinge? For as seldom that you would open and close it, that may work just fine. The reason I mention this is that I recently got an old built up car that the person had done this to and it looks like the tape has held up for a good thirty plus years.

Later-