Model Cars Magazine Forum

International Transtar 4200 Box Art Truck

This truck as been on my bucket list since 1987 that’s when I got my first Transtar 4200 and still have it. I tried to paint it the Box Art Scheme but it was a total failure. So in the Brake Fluid it went and I repainted it a goldish color Testors just came out with and left it. This one is a Mopar Blue but I can’t remember what it was. The stripes are from Jerry (Model Truckin Decals) and they are one of his best I’ve used yet. Maybe I can pull this off after 34 years. 

I started with a unpainted cab and hood that I got some years ago at a Model show with some extra parts including the interior and seats. I had to use a 4300 Transtar donor kit for the frame and the rest of the parts. The Power plant will be a 8V71 Detroit. I’ll be shorting the frame some also. Glad to have you follow along. 

66A3DB38-96A0-4558-A6EB-B624FE87662A.jpeg

23053B8D-FEED-42CF-85D7-FB0250D67622.jpeg

E2FFC099-31CD-4014-84B3-11DA4E0C71C9.jpeg

E87E23E0-83B1-41BF-9CB3-77FDE745AAC4.jpeg

4CE65ADA-0E1F-4847-BA5B-580B6AACB4D8.jpeg

17BC11A9-81D5-498D-88CB-C8AC5B2E6CCE.jpeg

7 minutes ago, Mopar - D said:

Very interesting build Lee looking forward to seeing more. Your paint and decals look perfect on the cab. 

Thanks for the complement Dan. I’m wondering how this is going to come out too with this 4300 frame but I think it will be ok. 

2 hours ago, ranma said:

Lee FYI you'll need to relocate the rear cab mount forward on the frame, being that you used the 4300's frame.

Thanks for the reminder but after I built this frame last week I remembered that. I had to take the cab mount back out you can probably see where I glued it. Going to line the cab and hood up then slip that cab mount back in. 

2 hours ago, 1930fordpickup said:

Thank You Lee. My late brother built the 4200 back in the day.  So far it is lost in time, unless my other brother has it packed away at his house. 

I hope you find it. Here’s a pic of my first one I built back in 1987 as I mentioned it in the beginning of the thread. 

AF4528F2-C82E-4761-9053-27AF7E1B9104.jpeg

A07157F3-4430-49FA-99BD-B7220411BEBF.jpeg

1 hour ago, Oldmopars said:

I love this build, very nice. 

One question? Can you make a 4200 out of a 4300 by cutting the hood and using round headlights? I have a 4300 I built a while back and I think I have a 4200 also, but never looked that close at them. 

Thanks for the complement. Yes I did it about 35 years ago you will have to thin the back of the hood some we’re it Marries up to the back of the cab and it should work. I have no round headlights for this so I’m robbing some from a DM600 kit if you look the tree is the same as the DM800 

Edited by Pete68

1 hour ago, Chariots of Fire said:

Nice crisp decal work.  Will be a nice looking rig when it is finished!  I'll be checking in to see the progress.

I think these are one of the best Jerry has done. Thanks for the complement I’m going to keep chipping away at it. 

When I built my "out of the box" F4270 I struggled with painting it a metallic blue or the solid blue I ultimately ended up going with. I couldn't decide if the highlights on the box art meant it was metallic, or just shiny. This almost makes me second guess my decision. It's looking really good, will stay tuned.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Casey429 said:

When I built my "out of the box" F4270 I struggled with painting it a metallic blue or the solid blue I ultimately ended up going with. I couldn't decide if the highlights on the box art meant it was metallic, or just shiny. This almost makes me second guess my decision. It's looking really good, will stay tuned.

Thanks Casey for the complement. I tried a transparent blue over metallic on the Brown one I built came out nice but the White stripes I tried to mask off was a disaster. I ended up soaking it in Brake Fluid and I  re-painted it a Testors  goldish brown which I still have the truck today. This was back in 1987 I was still learning. I always thought the box art was a metallic blue.