Model Cars Magazine Forum

Chrome Plating Resin Parts?

9 minutes ago, peteski said:

Yes, Little Motel Kar Co.   See this post for contact info:

I recommend calling Dale instead of email. Old-school guy.

I sent Dale some parts a few years ago.  I know some of the chrome platers closed down and didn't know he was still in business.  Thanks for the link.  I'll reach out to Dale.

14 minutes ago, crowe-t said:

I sent Dale some parts a few years ago.  I know some of the chrome platers closed down and didn't know he was still in business.  Thanks for the link.  I'll reach out to Dale.

Yes, I called him couple of months ago to  see if he still in business.  I believe he is really getting up in age.

1. Yes, I've used it. The Maverick bumper was given a single light coat over a gloss black acrylic base. The Desoto bumper was completely stripped and coated with the clear urethane basecoat included in the kit. Using different colored basecoats will result in varying shades from stainless to chrome.

338262995_IMG_4652copy.jpg.a1f05e7acd9cd5abb0271399db719da9.jpg

2. It's very durable. It isn't a metallic paint in the normal sense. It can be handled and doesn't rub off or dull like Molotow, which is an ink. Fingerprints can be wiped off with a soft cloth.

3. For modeling use, it doesn't require a clear coat. Miracle Clear is available for use on items which will be used outdoors, like MC helmets, bumpers and rims.

4. It can be ordered HERE. Click on "Hobby Kit" in the lower right. If the price scares you, a little goes a very long way. The 2 0z. hobby kit is enough to re-chrome a whole lot of parts. It's far more economical than paying out the wazoo to achieve the same result from chroming services. Additionally, you don't have to waste time mounting the parts before you send them out and there is no weeks-long turnaround.

Edited by SfanGoch
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SfanGoch said:

1. Yes, I've used it. The Maverick bumper was given a single light coat over a gloss black acrylic base. The Desoto bumper was completely stripped and coated with the clear urethane basecoat included in the kit. Using different colored basecoats will result in varying shades from stainless to chrome.

338262995_IMG_4652copy.jpg.a1f05e7acd9cd5abb0271399db719da9.jpg

2. It's very durable. It isn't a metallic paint in the normal sense. It can be handled and doesn't rub off or dull like Molotow, which is an ink. Fingerprints can be wiped off with a soft cloth.

3. For modeling use, it doesn't require a clear coat. Miracle Clear is available for use on items which will be used outdoors, like MC helmets, bumpers and rims.

4. It can be ordered HERE. Click on "Hobby Kit" in the lower right. If the price scares you, a little goes a very long way. The 2 0z. hobby kit is enough to re-chrome a whole lot of parts. It's far more economical than paying out the wazoo to achieve the same result from chroming services. Additionally, you don't have to waste time mounting the parts before you send them out and there is no weeks-long turnaround.

It's expensive but it looks incredible.  

Have you tried the Chrome Can 12 oz?  It's $89.  With the Base Coat Can 12 oz. both come out to $138 and you get 12 ounces of each instead of 2 ounces in  the hobby kit.

Would the Easy Chrome work over Alclad Gloss Black Base Coat?

Does the clear urethane base coat require a hardener?

Edited by crowe-t

I'm not into using spray cans to paint/apply a finish on relatively small parts. Most of what one sprays is is waste because, contrary to what some spray bomb proponents claim, there is no precise control of the pattern or volume of the material being sprayed. Also, a fairly large percentage of the indicated weight is propellant, not product.

You can use any decent (excluding c_rap "craft" paints :D ) gloss black. You can even use semigloss or flat black and spray the included basecoat over either to achieve a smooth, high gloss surface. The urethane basecoat is a single stage, water-based product. You can thin it with tap or distilled water to improve flow. Fortunately, NYC has the best tap water and we don't have to worry about stalagmites forming in our kitchen sinks. :D

2 minutes ago, SfanGoch said:

I'm not into using spray cans to paint/apply a finish on relatively small parts. Most of what one sprays is is waste because, contrary to what some spray bomb proponents claim, there is no precise control of the pattern or volume of the material being sprayed. Also, a fairly large percentage of the indicated weight is propellant, not product.

You can use any decent (excluding c_rap "craft" paints :D ) gloss black. You can even use semigloss or flat black and spray the included basecoat over either to achieve a smooth, high gloss surface. The urethane basecoat is a single stage, water-based product. You can thin it with tap or distilled water to improve flow. Fortunately, NYC has the best tap water and we don't have to worry about stalagmites forming in our kitchen sinks. :D

You just use an airbrush and apply light mist coats of the chrome over black similar to spraying Alclad Chrome over a black base coat?

I didn't even see you are in Brooklyn.  You're close to me.  Yes as I always say I can urinate, poop, shower in, and drink the same tap water.  Well not all at the same time. lol  

Actually, for better or worse, I'm a lot closer. I've been in the desolate wasteland known as Rockaway Park for almost three years. The pizza here sucks big time.:D

Spray light mist coats. Stop as soon as it takes on a bright chrome finish. If you apply too much, or heavy coats, it'll have a dull appearance.

9 minutes ago, SfanGoch said:

Actually, for better or worse, I'm a lot closer. I've been in the desolate wasteland known as Rockaway Park for almost three years. The pizza here sucks big time.:D

Spray light mist coats. Stop as soon as it takes on a bright chrome finish. If you apply too much, or heavy coats, it'll have a dull appearance.

You are a lot closer.

It's the same method as spraying Alclad only it's a lot more durable and looks nearly the same as chromed parts.

3 minutes ago, SfanGoch said:

Bingo, that's the ticket!

Thanks for the heads up on the Alsa Corp Easy Chrome.  Do you have any pictures of a car that you built with chrome parts on it sprayed with the Easy Chrome?  I know you posted pictures above of the two bumpers but I'd like to see what it looks like on a car if you have any.

Edited by crowe-t

No can do. That photo is almost three years old. I haven't been able to d/l photos from my Canon EOS since the middle of last year following a Win 10 update and have been looking for a solution to correct this. I don't use a cell; so, I can't go that route for pics. The EOS Utility program which came with the camera is no longer compatible with Win 10, it seems. I did use the Desoto bumpers (front and rear) and Easy Chromed wheelcovers on one I completed, though.

Edited by SfanGoch

25 minutes ago, SfanGoch said:

No can do. That photo is almost three years old. I haven't been able to d/l photos from my Canon EOS since the middle of last year following a Win 10 update and have been looking for a solution to correct this. I don't use a cell; so, I can't go that route for pics. The EOS Utility program which came with the camera is no longer compatible with Win 10, it seems. I did use the Desoto bumpers (front and rear) and Easy Chromed wheelcovers on one I completed, though.

I use a Canon myself.  I don't have a cell phone.  The pictures you posted above look amazing.

• 1 month later...

On 10/11/2021 at 10:46 PM, SfanGoch said:

Joe,

Does your computer have an SD card port?  If it's a laptop, it probably has one.  Then you can load the card from the camera into the laptop's SD port.  You can also buy a flash drive with a built-in SD port that allows you to load the SD card into the flash drive and then plug it into one of your computer's USB ports.  

Jim, I have an Acer laptop which only has two USB ports and no optical drive, which I found odd. My stupid mistake when I bought it. I confused it with another laptop I saw. It was an open box special with no exchange or return. I'm looking to get a new Canon T5i and I could d/l from the old SD card using it.

Joe, simple solution:  Go to your favorite search engine and search for "usb all in one memory card reader".  There are lots available.  It is a small box which has multiplpe sockets that accept pretty much every memory cart ever made.  The box just plugs into any USB port and when you insert a memory card, it will show up as a drive on your Windows machine.

USB-2-0-Adapter-Card-Reader-All-In-One-U

As far as CD/DVD drives in laptops go, in the last few years laptops no longer have them built-in.  It is considered old technology.  Again, there are inexpensive USB CD/DVD drives available. I also have one of those for one of my laptops.

Edited by peteski

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Dave72 said:

Not sure if anyone has seen this company or not. Ran across it a while back but have not contacted them for chroming small plastic parts but their site does say model car parts. 

www.mmmetalizing.com

I just sent them an e-mail asking it they chrome plate resin parts.  I'll post what they say.

11 hours ago, crowe-t said:

I just sent them an e-mail asking it they chrome plate resin parts.  I'll post what they say.

Sounds good. I’m curious to see their response. I have a couple builds that would look so much better with rechroming parts vs Alclad.