Model Cars Magazine Forum

Radical mid-engine Duster Funny Car for 1973 MPC National Model Car Customizing Championship

tim boyd

DSC 0430

This was a project started for the 1973 MPC National Model Car Contest Series. But after my three-car Charger funny car set was misjudged by the MPC Judges at the 1972 Washington DC contest (they didn't read the instructions and incorrectly disqualified the matching trailer and tow car), I was so disgusted that I stopped working on this.

The body was based on one of those ultra-rare MPC 1971 Demon 340 kits (no one knew back then...). The body was narrowed into a wedge shape (when viewed from above), with a much larger rear window, roof dropped at the A-pillars, and the hood replaced with a sheet styrene panel that was shaped to look like the revised 1973 Duster front end. among many other body mods.

The engine was going to repeat my trophy winning (1st Place Senior, 1969 Flint; Best Detail. 1970 Detroit; Best in Show, 1970 Indy) MPC contest feature where rotating the rear tires caused the engine blower drive to rotate as well, except this time depressing a working clutch would have stopped the blower drive rotation.

The frame shown here was partially scratchbuilt from styrene tubing. Had I finished it, it would have been a contender in the MPC series. Instead, I started building a series of street rod models for myself rather than building models for the then-judges who didn't read judging sheets (smile, sort of).

Thanks for looking....TIM 

PS - no intentions of finishing this one....TB 

DSC 0430

Always wonder what the MPC judges thought what models should be, I submitted my 'squad 51' back in 1973 at the Cleveland auto show. That was a 70 miles one way trip in two days. How easy was it for them to take the Dodge pick up kit and get the Universal studio license and have a great seller. I had no intentions of getting any award just dropping the idea to MPC. 

greg 

Hi Tim, I know it’s not my business to tell someone what they should or shouldn’t build, but man… that thing is begging to be finished. Between the beautiful body work,  the engineering, and the mid engine concept, that’s a sweet drag car. Very cool.

Cheers, Steve

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Steve H said:

Hi Tim, I know it’s not my business to tell someone what they should or shouldn’t build, but man… that thing is begging to be finished. Between the beautiful body work,  the engineering, and the mid engine concept, that’s a sweet drag car. Very cool.

Cheers, Steve

X 2 !!!!!  -RRR

Thanks guys for the comments. 

Part of me wants to dig back into that bad boy, but I have something like 70+ other unfinished projects that are also begging for some type of progress, and most of them are much farther along than this one.  Still.....appreciate the encouragement and I will never say never....Best to you all....TIM  

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Tim, I share your sentiments exactly.  I don't have 70 other projects going but even with what I have, I realize I'll never get to most of them.  Pick and choose those that mean something to you.  I have a rear engine Mustang funny I'd love to complete............this car you have would be sooo tempting to move up the list.   I really like the concept you had and mods you made.  cheers, tim