Model Cars Magazine Forum

1961 Dodge Phoenix

carbuilder1950

Can't remember who I got this kit from for sure. I think R&R Vacuum Craft. It's a curbside. No opening hood or engine.

It needed some work,  and a few pieces like taillight were no good, so Modelhaus provided everything I needed.

All in all, thought, not a bad kit. It just needed a bit of help.

In the old day the body script and emblems were the first thing to go, but now days there is a beauty in those emblems and scripts,

that I can really appreciate, so I left them all on and foiled them.

I love the front grill/bumper, and all of the rear end, so I chose a color I thought would bring out all the beautiful shapes and curves.

To me the 1961 Dodge is just beautiful..

003.JPG

004.JPG

005.JPG

001.JPG

006.JPG

002.JPG

• Like 1

5 hours ago, espo said:

Beautiful color and paint finish. I agree with the "Leave the trim" style of today. The stance really looks great as well. 

@espo

I remember my first car, a 1950 Mercury, and ripping all the beautiful chrome trim and ornaments off, to customize it.

I have found myself thinking how beautiful all those emblems are now on most cars, and all the genius it took to design them. Nothing close today to appreciate.

17 hours ago, carbuilder1950 said:

@espo

I remember my first car, a 1950 Mercury, and ripping all the beautiful chrome trim and ornaments off, to customize it.

I have found myself thinking how beautiful all those emblems are now on most cars, and all the genius it took to design them. Nothing close today to appreciate.

I did the same on a '51 Ford custom two door and later on two different '57 Fords, a convertible and a base two door. That was the style of the times and while I still like it in some cases, seeing now how builders of 1:1 cars are now embracing all of the stock trim we used to throw away that look is becoming more appealing to me.   

• Like 1

3 hours ago, espo said:

I did the same on a '51 Ford custom two door and later on two different '57 Fords, a convertible and a base two door. That was the style of the times and while I still like it in some cases, seeing now how builders of 1:1 cars are now embracing all of the stock trim we used to throw away that look is becoming more appealing to me.   

@espo

There are guys that still like that dechromed look and I do to at times.

It just gives us more options to enjoy in our building. 

I LIVE THIS HOBBY!!

On 10/11/2021 at 5:12 PM, carbuilder1950 said:

Can't remember who I got this kit from for sure. I think R&R Vacuum Craft. It's a curbside. No opening hood or engine.

It needed some work,  and a few pieces like taillight were no good, so Modelhaus provided everything I needed.

All in all, thought, not a bad kit. It just needed a bit of help.

In the old day the body script and emblems were the first thing to go, but now days there is a beauty in those emblems and scripts,

that I can really appreciate, so I left them all on and foiled them.

I love the front grill/bumper, and all of the rear end, so I chose a color I thought would bring out all the beautiful shapes and curves.

To me the 1961 Dodge is just beautiful..

003.JPG

004.JPG

005.JPG

001.JPG

006.JPG

002.JPG

Back in the day, those cars were considered ugly ducklings, but you turned it into a beautiful swan. So I have to ask, what did you paint it with? The color looks familiar.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dave Darby said:

. So I have to ask, what did you paint it with? The color looks familiar.

@Dave Darby

Hi Dave

The color you asked about comes from a family of colors called, "Metal Specks", by Dupli-color, and also came in blue, red and green.

The color on the Dodge is called Burnt Copper.

If you check on the NET, you'll find them for various prices. At least that 's what I found the last time I ordered some.

I buried mine in 3 coats of clear and polished it out to give it that glossy look.

I hope that helps - Dave.

Edited by carbuilder1950