Model Cars Magazine Forum

greetings from up north

Hello everyone.

I started modeling airplanes and cars in the late 70’s thru mid-90’swith a little sci fi in the mix. In all I had around 400 models. Then life happened and circumstances forced me to trash my whole collection of planes and cars. It was a very dark period. Moved on to big city. Took me 17 years to get back at it. Not having too much space, I started to re-build my car collection in 1/25th and 24th scale. Cars are easy to display together since they are roughly the same size, unlike planes. Since 2014, I have built about 250 models, and I have about 100 to go before I call my collection complete (if there is such a thing). In the end, I was able to recover most of the cars I had but some models are either no longer produced or very rare, therefore too expensive. I used to have a lot of jo-han models, some that I paid 5.00$ at a five and dime store back in the 70’s, if only I knew then. (Sigh)

I like to build subjects that I feel connected to. Whether it’s from memories of my youth or cars that I owned or simply that I like the lines and styling. I grew up in the 60’s and I have fond memories of those days.

My main interests are cars from, but not limited to, late 20’s to late 70’s or any subject that I find interesting. I like also to build small dioramas (to tell a little story) and occasional departure in the sci fi realm. I like the fact that companies are re issuing some of the kits I build earlier in life (I would build cars from time to time as a change of pace). I have followed this forum for 6 years now; I think it’s time I participate too. There are some seriously talented people here and   the main reason I looked in these forums was for inspiration and boy; did I find some. Back in the seventies, we did not have instant access to information as we do nowadays. There are really talented people here and some posts inspired me to build the same models so , if you find that one of my models looks like yours, it probably was inspired by it and if I forget to mention it, please feel free to let me know in the comments.

I am an average builder of average skills but there are some builds that I am truly proud of (the duel truck comes to mind). My hands are not as steady as they once were which led to some models being destr…. hum …. Recycled for other purposes. If there is interest, I will post some of my models in different categories. I build trucks, pickups, cars, sci-fi, dioramas, and a lot of beetles (must have been hit by one when I was young).

Thanks everyone for reading this long post, I hope it was not too painful to read since English is not my native language, but I use it at work every day, so I have some practice 😉

Greetings from Montreal Canada

Mario T

• Like 1

Hello Mario!..... While reading your post, I felt that I too have been through those dark times you mentioned. Although I never had the numbers of models you had, I also built everything from tanks, infantry, planes to cars, but nothing sci-fi. All of what I used to have, like yours, got trashed or given away. I went on a dry spell for 10 years and began building again just before Covid came along. I decided that all my builds from here on out are going to represent the best of my abilities, so I don’t care about how many I can build, but rather, how satisfied I will be with each one years down the road.

Its good that you have made it back and from the sounds of it are staying busy in the hobby. I’m sure you’ve learned much being a lurker here for the past 6 years.... I know I have, and I’m just now hitting my first year here. There really is some exceptional talent and skill here as well as an abundance of knowledge.

Welcome aboard!🤠👍

On 10/11/2021 at 9:18 PM, happy grumpy said:

Hello everyone.

I started modeling airplanes and cars in the late 70’s thru mid-90’swith a little sci fi in the mix. In all I had around 400 models. Then life happened and circumstances forced me to trash my whole collection of planes and cars. It was a very dark period. Moved on to big city. Took me 17 years to get back at it. Not having too much space, I started to re-build my car collection in 1/25th and 24th scale. Cars are easy to display together since they are roughly the same size, unlike planes. Since 2014, I have built about 250 models, and I have about 100 to go before I call my collection complete (if there is such a thing). In the end, I was able to recover most of the cars I had but some models are either no longer produced or very rare, therefore too expensive. I used to have a lot of jo-han models, some that I paid 5.00$ at a five and dime store back in the 70’s, if only I knew then. (Sigh)

I like to build subjects that I feel connected to. Whether it’s from memories of my youth or cars that I owned or simply that I like the lines and styling. I grew up in the 60’s and I have fond memories of those days.

My main interests are cars from, but not limited to, late 20’s to late 70’s or any subject that I find interesting. I like also to build small dioramas (to tell a little story) and occasional departure in the sci fi realm. I like the fact that companies are re issuing some of the kits I build earlier in life (I would build cars from time to time as a change of pace). I have followed this forum for 6 years now; I think it’s time I participate too. There are some seriously talented people here and   the main reason I looked in these forums was for inspiration and boy; did I find some. Back in the seventies, we did not have instant access to information as we do nowadays. There are really talented people here and some posts inspired me to build the same models so , if you find that one of my models looks like yours, it probably was inspired by it and if I forget to mention it, please feel free to let me know in the comments.

I am an average builder of average skills but there are some builds that I am truly proud of (the duel truck comes to mind). My hands are not as steady as they once were which led to some models being destr…. hum …. Recycled for other purposes. If there is interest, I will post some of my models in different categories. I build trucks, pickups, cars, sci-fi, dioramas, and a lot of beetles (must have been hit by one when I was young).

Thanks everyone for reading this long post, I hope it was not too painful to read since English is not my native language, but I use it at work every day, so I have some practice 😉

Greetings from Montreal Canada

Mario T

Hello Happy Grumpy, aka Mario. Would luv to see some of your collection. Take care

Welcome to the board Marlo..I'am from Winnipeg and a big hockey fan..Jets are my first love but been a Canadien fan before..When I was a kid there were 6 teams and we'd bet our allwance on games..I did quite well..big loss to friends though in 1967..Both our teams are not doing well yet but will get better..Hope you enjoy the site and lets see some of your builds..I'am old and don't have that much dexterity from stroke in 1998 and build just box stock..No wires or plumbing but try for clean build and nice paint..The thing with this hobby is to have fun and enjoy..not get pissed off and throw things..Take care and GO JETS GO...LOL