Model Cars Magazine Forum

Rich Manson - Ramfins59 Has Passed

Tom Geiger

Rich Argus of the Liars Club distributed an email that Rich died this past Friday.

Rich was a long time member of the Liars Club and a good friend. We both thought it ironic that we both landed in Pennsylvania, although at opposite ends of the state.

We kept in touch on this board and via email. I looked forward to seeing him every year at NNL East.  Add his name to the growing list of friends who last attended the show in 2019.  This is indeed sad.

• Sad 3

Wow, I'm so sorry to hear this. :(

And yes, the 2019 NNL East would have been the last time I saw him in person. At one point a while back, he wanted to get together a club here in Central PA. These days though, I just flat didn't have the time to do that and sadly, that'll never happen now.

I would always make sure to make time to visit with Rich and his lovely wife at both yearly Pittsburg model shows. What a nice guy. And man, his models were truly great pieces. I remember one particular show, Rich cleaned up. He had a smile from ear to ear. I noticed he had not attended since his procedure. I, like many others, will miss him.

Rich was a great guy.

While I never had the pleasure of meeting the man his occasional correspondence with me told a lot about the man.

He was very helpful on some of my builds with suggestions and just the knowledge sharing he did.

He was very caring and kind when my wife had her heart surgeries and problems as well as my own. Always with a comforting word.

I'll miss him.

Godspeed Rich.

4 hours ago, Rodent said:

Didn't he have a big surgery a while back? Like open heart or something? Seems like he didn't spend a lot of time here after the surgery.

Yes. Rich had heart surgery in 2020.  He hadn't built in a while because he couldn't get to his workspace in his basement.  After that I was pushing him to build something, and he just wasn't feeling it.  He never complained about his health.

For those who don't know, Rich had a stroke some 20 years or so ago.  Prior to this he created the most intricate multi colored interior flocking. He was the king of flock! He stopped driving at that point and sold his 1959 Dodge... the Ram Fins.

He got back to the workbench as part of his therapy.  With every model he got better and his friends quietly celebrated each of his builds!    So sad to lose him!

Edited by Tom Geiger
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Nazz said:

Richard was very welcoming and supportive .

I obviously never met him, but from my view he was one of the kindest and gentlest souls in his forum persona. I can only assume that he was like that in person as well. 

• Like 2

Sad to hear.

I met Rich at the South Carolina Modelers Association show in Simponsville, SC several years ago.

He was down visiting LIARS member Tom Valenta and he noticed my Northern accent (I'm originally from Long Island as was Rich).

Talked to him on and off during the event, a very personable guy.

• Like 1