Model Cars Magazine Forum

I no longer want to be a USPS customer.

Brutalform

On 10/13/2021 at 5:13 AM, Brutalform said:

“.....in the greatest country on the planet” you can’t get your mail delivered at a reasonable time.And it’s suppose to get worst?  Rant over. 

Pony express never had these problems... maybe we just need to go back to simpler times... Yep, I’m all for it!

I must be a lucky one as well. I sell lots of stuff on the Bay (since 2004) and use USPS and never have had a problem. I do list all my shipping as economy, 1 to 10 days for delivery. Never had one take longer than 10 days to get there but of course never has one gotten there in 1 day.....LOL 

And yep, prices have gone up. I sell a lot of VHS tapes. The shipping for one tape has gone up from $2.69 to $3.19 media mail in the last 5 years. Oh well, I just raise my shipping cost accordingly (currently $3.75) to cover that cost and the package material I use, 26 cent bubble envelop. 

That's how I met most of my neighbors when I first bought my house......dropping off their mail delivered to my house.   But when it's at the other end of the street or (oddly frequent) wrong street, I drop it in the mailroom at the office go they get a second chance.  And even if you write on the envelope they delivered it to the wrong house, I've found that if you don't cross out the computer coding at the bottom, they get it wrong a second time.

One problem with the USPS is the delivery drivers themselves. They’re paid hourly. Do you think if they have a light load they’ll come in and punch out early. NO WAY! They’ll find a nice quiet cubby hole behind a gas station somewhere and take a nap till it’s time to check out. I know of a postman who naps behind a social club in my area almost every Wednesday around 2:30 and doesn’t leave till 4:00. 

26 minutes ago, Rick L said:

One problem with the USPS is the delivery drivers themselves. They’re paid hourly. Do you think if they have a light load they’ll come in and punch out early. NO WAY! They’ll find a nice quiet cubby hole behind a gas station somewhere and take a nap till it’s time to check out. I know of a postman who naps behind a social club in my area almost every Wednesday around 2:30 and doesn’t leave till 4:00. 

Years ago, I managed a small retail in-line center that had a bar at the far end.  The local mail carrier would stash the delivery vehicle in the dead end alley behind the bar.

5 hours ago, Brutalform said:

Day 11 with no activity. I could have walked to NYC from where I live in PA and had my package sooner. And you call the USPS number and a recording says “covid”. This did not surprise me at all. 

8986DBB6-70B5-449C-92F3-134E8B94431C.png

A really poor, lame excuse. Who are they kidding? COVID is running rampant in every state across this nation. How long does everybody needs this excuse for any delay at all. I personally think today's generation of employees are being too soft with ZERO ambition to get the job done they're being paid to do. Look around, everybody is hiring but no one wants to work. Why? Because they're getting paid more collecting unemployment than working. 

Even if those seeking work and they're turning down job offers because they want to get paid the same salary when they were let go from their previous jobs. I don't feel sorry for those remaining on unemployment. Just wait til they reach retirement age, they won't get much in social security or a pension (or not even a pension at all) That's how stupid these young folks are. They don't think about retirement because they have plenty of time to worry about that. They're still young and that's the last thing on their minds. 

1 hour ago, Rick L said:

A phone call may be in order.......

1 hour ago, Rick L said:

My neighbor… well if you want to call her that, works for the usps, and stops home at least two to three times a day, with the delivery vehicle. I’d bet my next payday that she’s hitting the bottle, from witnessing her previous behaviors. Pretty sad. And to add to the young people not too worried about working, you have to remember now, that many possess a marijuana medical card now. Either they can’t pass a urine test, or they just don’t want to work. Things are definitely changing. 

If stuff gets delivered to the correct house number on the wrong street, then yes, it is an issue.  When I get mail like that, I drop it off at the house on the correct street.  But not everyone else does that...some will simply toss the item in the trash, to others it might be a free gift.

On 10/13/2021 at 10:28 PM, peteski said:

Also to put this in perspective, I believe that COVID would have not spread  like this 200 years ago (before global travel became the norm).

Absolutely correct.. not a political statement, just a fact. 100-200 years ago people weren’t as mobile as today. 

Back as early as the 1500s it was realized that the plague spread through inter port travel. Sailors on merchant ships were bringing it home with then.

The Italians decided that incoming ships would sit at anchor in the harbor for 40 days. If nobody got sick, they’d allow the ship to dock and unload.  Thus, the word quarantine actually comes from the Italian word for 40.

• Like 1

On 10/13/2021 at 6:13 AM, Brutalform said:

I don’t like to complain, but I’ve had all I can take with using the USPS. It seems that it’s becoming more the norm for packages, registered letters, etc to take up to a month or longer, to arrived. I’ve had model kits take over a month to arrive, I had a book that I bought to add to my Stephen King collection, get lost at some post office for over a month. And that was pretty scary as it was an expensive item. Now I have a  registered package from another country, that was moving along fine, within Swiss Post, until it reached the US and left customs in Jamaica NY. Now there has been zero activity in over two weeks. I can only imagine the problems people that get their medicine through the mail must go through. I’ve deleted my PayPal, and eBay app off my phone. Amazon is the only way I’ll buy anything from now on. And if I can’t get it through them, then I suppose I don’t really need it. Pretty sad that “ in the greatest country on the planet” you can’t get your mail delivered at a reasonable time.And it’s suppose to get worst?  Rant over. 

I know how you feel. When they routed all our mail to Memphis most mail and packages 📦 can stay in the sorting station for a month. Tends to happen to packages and letters wit proof of delivery 📦 and priority packages..

On 10/13/2021 at 7:23 PM, BlackSheep214 said:

Blame your USPS Postmaster General, Louis DeJoy. He is THE biggest idiot to come up with a business model if slowing mail by cutting cost AND raising prices. What's even worse? A standing US President cannot nor has the power to remove him from office. Only the Board of Governors of the Postal Service can. If we can contact those Board of Governors of the Postal Service and demand DeJoy to overturn this ridiculous business plan, we'd be in better off. Prices of stamps going up I can deal with. But slowing mail and raising prices with a side of cutting cost makes no sense. Since when did the cost of Air Mail suddenly a concern for this tool? He's basically wants to eliminate domestic mail via air all together and send it via ground - truck or train. 

Actually DeJoy was CEO of a logistics and freight company, so I suspect he knows something about delivering on time. The problems started when he announced his plan to change how things were done and the the USPS employees rebelled. His plan was stopped last October and all changes reversed. So don't blame him for problems today. 

My wife has had it out with our local postmaster (well, one of his subordinates because he deems it beneath him to talk to customers) several times about pickups. When she talked to our new carrier (no problems with the old one who retired), it fixed our problem. Turned out they had never bothered to fully train her in her duties.

I've had great delivery service and bad. Just got a package in 2 weeks from Ukraine. Had a package from the UK take a month because it sat in a parking lot in San Antonio for 2 weeks ("in transit"). Had a package I sent once sit in a NJ post office for 2 weeks because they didn't know where to deliver it because there were "2 addresses" on it - one was the RETURN address. They are swamped with all the mail-ordering we (as a country) have been doing during the pandemic, but that doesn't excuse the incompetence. I guess lower volume in the past helped cover it up.

10 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

Absolutely correct.. not a political statement, just a fact. 100-200 years ago people weren’t as mobile as today. 

Back as early as the 1500s it was realized that the plague spread through inter port travel. Sailors on merchant ships were bringing it home with then.

The Italians decided that incoming ships would sit at anchor in the harbor for 40 days. If nobody got sick, they’d allow the ship to dock and unload.  Thus, the word quarantine actually comes from the Italian word for 40.

Yup. In fact it was the troops returning from WW1 that allowed the 1918 Spanish flu pandemic to happen. The today you can be any where in the world in a day. Think of all the people you will interact with. And potentially how many people one sick person could potentially infect. If you think about it it's amazing that it didn't happen sooner.

As far as the post office I'm paying but phone or in person. At this point in time its been far to unreliable lately. I received a  pge bill  six weeks late.

8 minutes ago, bobthehobbyguy said:

The today you can be any where in the world in a day. 

Many years ago a friend at work was looking at an island beach scene on a calendar. She said something like, “I’d rather be there than in the office.” I replied, “There’s nothing stopping you from being on that beach this time tomorrow”.  Think about that one!

I’ve sat in the airport watching the thousands of people scurrying by.. thinking how incredible it was that they’d all be sleeping thousands of miles apart that night. Of course that was pre pandemic!

Edited by Tom Geiger

19 hours ago, bobthehobbyguy said:

Yup. In fact it was the troops returning from WW1 that allowed the 1918 Spanish flu pandemic to happen. The today you can be any where in the world in a day. Think of all the people you will interact with. And potentially how many people one sick person could potentially infect. If you think about it it's amazing that it didn't happen sooner.

Actually, it was the US troops going to Europe that spread the Spanish flu. It originated in the US midwest. Because the war was the main thing to European and the US governments, they didn't mention it. The world only became aware of the pandemic after it got to Spain, a neutral country, and it became the biggest story there.

On 10/17/2021 at 12:07 PM, vintagerpm said:

Actually DeJoy was CEO of a logistics and freight company, so I suspect he knows something about delivering on time. The problems started when he announced his plan to change how things were done and the the USPS employees rebelled. His plan was stopped last October and all changes reversed. So don't blame him for problems today. 

My wife has had it out with our local postmaster (well, one of his subordinates because he deems it beneath him to talk to customers) several times about pickups. When she talked to our new carrier (no problems with the old one who retired), it fixed our problem. Turned out they had never bothered to fully train her in her duties.

I've had great delivery service and bad. Just got a package in 2 weeks from Ukraine. Had a package from the UK take a month because it sat in a parking lot in San Antonio for 2 weeks ("in transit"). Had a package I sent once sit in a NJ post office for 2 weeks because they didn't know where to deliver it because there were "2 addresses" on it - one was the RETURN address. They are swamped with all the mail-ordering we (as a country) have been doing during the pandemic, but that doesn't excuse the incompetence. I guess lower volume in the past helped cover it up.

Really? Then you haven’t read this article.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/mail-delivery-slower-usps-october-1/