Model Cars Magazine Forum

I no longer want to be a USPS customer.

Brutalform

10 hours ago, BlackSheep214 said:

Really? Then you haven’t read this article.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/mail-delivery-slower-usps-october-1/

This article is about changes that began on October 1, 2021. The vast majority of complaints in this thread are about what has happened before October 1. DeJoy's previous attempts at change were directed towards efficiency. This article discusses a cost-cutting move. I stand by my statement.

Edited by vintagerpm

10 hours ago, Brutalform said:

Fair enough. One can only wait and see, then we can judge his performance. So far, I don’t see things getting better, only worse. Time will tell. 

As I said...just you wait and see. It’s going to get worse, not better. Cost cutting in all the wrong places except his salary.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, BlackSheep214 said:

As I said...just you wait and see. It’s going to get worse, not better. Cost cutting in all the wrong places except his salary.

Oh I get it. I thought this guy was a tool ever since he was “installed” as the postmaster general. Things were getting bad, now they have become more worse. I’d bet in another couple of months there will be either no changes, or it will change for the worst. 

Im just happy I received a refund on my item. 

Edited by Brutalform

15 hours ago, peteski said:

"Shipping Partner".  That means USPS is using an outside contractor.  That is one of the problems.

It might be UPS Mail Innovations. UPS picks up the package, transports it, and hands it off to USPS for final delivery. Seems to take forever and the packages seem to sit a lot.

• 2 months later...

The thugs have realized it’s open season to do whatever they want and almost no one will stop them.  Sad that it’s come to the point where the police are afraid to go after the criminals for fear of making an arrest and then being called out for profiling and harassment.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

The recent photo below is a freight yard in LA, where the latest craze is breaking into and looting containers on slow-moving trains.

Bill, that’s just a photo of L.A. train tracks on any normal given day. 🤣

Jokes aside though, I went down there last summer, plenty of graffiti to be seen and litter strewn on both sides of I-5. We were advised to not leave hotel grounds after dark as well. 

And...I won't pay the premium for "new" books anymore.

I used to have a thing for clean, pristine printed material when I could find it, but it's a total waste of money now, considering the USPO appears tp be absolutely and totally incapable of delivering a book or magazine without tearing it or crushing a corner or three when they toss it around like a frisbee.

Just found a $40 book on the porch with, yet again, two crushed corners. This makes every reference book I've bought in the last three months fubarred in one way or another in shipping...six in all.

No point going in to complain either, as the tools that work there look at me like I'm speaking Swahili and can't even comprehend what the damage is, or why anyone would care.

Maybe it's a good thing.

Think of all the money I'll save if I buy previously-trashed-by-chimps books instead of new.

I clench up every time I buy something and see the dreaded "USPS" as the shipping method. Recently I purchased a fairly expensive watch and the vendor sent it USPS Priority. It disappeared off of tracking for four days before showing back up. I got it a week after it shipped. By contrast, I ordered a new set of aftermarket mirrors for my '95 Miata from a Japanese vendor who used DHL. Tracking showed every single step of the way and it made it from Tokyo to Florida in 3 days!

Last week I got mixed results..I had to mail a 1994 Celica tail light from Pennsylvania to Oregon. I pass two post offices on my way to work. I go to the Phoenixville, PA office on Monday.. 8:15 and the post office that is supposed to open at 8:00 is dark with no signs of life except the line of a half dozen people in the lobby. I wasn’t going to be late for work so I left.

Tuesday I mailed it from Chester Springs, PA with no problems. It was delivered in Oregon on Thursday. 2 days coast to coast. 

Wednesday I go to Chester Springs and there’s a sign on the door “system down” and it’s closed. I figured that might be regional, but I go to Phoenixville anyway since I pass it, and it’s open so I mail a model kit. It was delivered today!

Hit or miss! 

I purchased a nice built 57 Chrysler 300 off of E Bay a few days ago from a guy in Haverhill Massachusetts which is less than an hour by car from my house in Everett and it was being shipped by the USPS. The tracking number wasn't updated for a couple of days until an update showed the car was processed in Shreveport Louisiana early this morning. The USPS can you know what things up.  I don't expect the car to arrive until later in the week if the USPS doesn't mess up further. In the meantime, I'm keeping the seller updated and he was shocked when I told him via PM on E Bay.

Edited by John M.
Spelling.

Yesterday, a CD I bought from England, reference blueprints, data, and photos of the Supermarine S6b, arrived broken in half.

Well packed in a stiffened envelope with internal backers, clearly marked "do not bend", no external damage to the envelope, very obviously just some mean-spirited jackass in the delivery chain bent it until it snapped.

EDIT: TRY to break a CD. It takes some effort.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

8 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Yesterday, a CD I bought from England, reference blueprints, data, and photos of the Supermarine S6b, arrived broken in half.

Well packed in a stiffened envelope with internal backers, clearly marked "do not bend", no external damage to the envelope, very obviously just some mean-spirited jackass in the delivery chain bent it until it snapped.

EDIT: TRY to break a CD. It takes some effort.

Well then you can blame the Royal Mail. 

Maybe I'm gullible but I don't think that there are lots of USPS employees who maliciously damage mail.  Most of the problems are likely occurring during machine processing of the mail.

On 1/23/2022 at 9:00 PM, peteski said:

...I don't think that there are lots of USPS employees who maliciously damage mail...

It only takes one.

There are no scuff marks on the envelope. The corners aren't damaged. There are no folds on the envelope. In short, there's zero indication of any trauma to the envelope whatsoever.

Everything is consistent with someone maliciously snapping the disc with soft fingers.

Maybe where you live, it's all puppies and unicorns.

In the world I inhabit, there are people who get their pathetic little jollies by destroying things.

Ever see a car left by the road, broken down, and a day later all the windows are smashed...not just one broken to get in to steal something, but ALL of 'em smashed for the giddy thrill some tiny pea-brains apparently get from mindless destruction? Or an old house, or one being built or remodeled trashed by chimps? Dumpsters set on fire?

Same sub-human mindset...and not uncommon by any means.

EDIT: And sure, it's entirely possible someone anywhere in the delivery chain could be the bozo. The USPS hardly has a monopoly on them.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

On 1/21/2022 at 2:47 PM, Dave Van said:

Large box from Santa Fe Springs CA overnight via USPS Priority

YET

Small shipping bag from Grove City Ohio 14 days via USPS Priority .....not just once...3 times.

Why the massive inconsistency?? 

Before the pandemic, I ordered some wheels from USCP (Ukrainian Scale Car Parts) in Russia. They got here in 5 days. Around the same time I had prescriptions mailed to me from the local CVS. They also took 5 days. My scripts usually take 2 days, but just this week I had problems again. They were mailed on Monday and did not show up till today (Friday). 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

LOGISTICS the fraud tech of the era.

I want an expert in logistics to tell me how this is the best way. 

I buy an item of ebay (model train) from a seller less than 75 miles from my house. the package traveled from the eastern part of Virginia to Greensboro NC.  It then went to Cinncy Ohio. This means it went past me only to return to Charleston WV. As long as I get it in one piece that's OK.....but why do almost all packages wander so far and wide???? 

And we keep hearing how they're losing money. I know, that's not the only reason why but driving a package from state to state can't possibly save any money.

My favorite that's gonna be hard to beat is the package that was sent from Pennsylvania and it ended up in Guam before coming here.