Jump to content
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Recommended Posts

35 minutes ago, TarheelRick said:

This is a great little pickup.  Have built a couple over the years, still waiting for a repop of the dually stakeside version.  Here is a picture of one I built last year,  Has the modified flathead from the AMT '49 Mercury kit.

uumjtrA.jpg

Nice looking little grocer getter Ricky.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I cleaned up the flash on both engines trying to lock in which engine I want to use.  I really like the ol 221 Fatties and I could go with the Tamiya TS-9 British Green with chrome Edelbrock heads or the 245 V-8 engine I believe it is in Tamiya TS-8 Italian Red.  

20211015_120621.jpg

20211015_120727.jpg

20211015_120758.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

That old Lindberg kit didn't come as a dual wheeled truck. It had the options of stock, hot rod, rack body or wrecker but they were all single wheels. Not that you can't do it but it might funny with the wire wheels. I'm sure whatever you choose will be cool!

s-l1600 (5).jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, mchook said:

That old Lindberg kit didn't come as a dual wheeled truck. It had the options of stock, hot rod, rack body or wrecker but they were all single wheels. Not that you can't do it but it might funny with the wire wheels. I'm sure whatever you choose will be cool!

s-l1600 (5).jpg

Thanks for the info Mark.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was looking at the distributor this morning wanting to wire it but it's not your traditional type.  These old 221 Flatties had the distributor up front mounted directly to the camshaft if memory serves me correct.  There was also a rack that ran from the distributor up along side the heads and the plug wires came out of the rack at each spark plug.  I think what I will do is drill a hole in each side of the distributor and run 4 plug wires to each head.  I did manage to find some red wire that fits over the plugs that I can use as a boot.  

20211017_085941.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, mchook said:

That old Lindberg kit didn't come as a dual wheeled truck. It had the options of stock, hot rod, rack body or wrecker but they were all single wheels.

You're correct ; my information is erroneous . I , for whatever reason , mixed 'dual rear wheels' with 'stake bed option' .  Thanks for the correct info , and for the exhibition of the box art .

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The duel rear wheels and tires would be interesting. I would widen the rear fenders to cover them. You can make some nice fenders out of old prescription plastic containers. The Distributor can easily be made out of scrape plastic, The wires came out of the caps, sometimes were called "a crab", four on a side and nothing to really show a firing order. Ford used a metal loom that ran along the top edge of the Heads with the wires exiting just above the cylinder it was too, A lot of that detail will be hidden and you may only need a few wires running to the metal loom and then a wire for each cylinder running from the loom to the spark plug. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, espo said:

The duel rear wheels and tires would be interesting. I would widen the rear fenders to cover them. You can make some nice fenders out of old prescription plastic containers. The Distributor can easily be made out of scrape plastic, The wires came out of the caps, sometimes were called "a crab", four on a side and nothing to really show a firing order. Ford used a metal loom that ran along the top edge of the Heads with the wires exiting just above the cylinder it was too, A lot of that detail will be hidden and you may only need a few wires running to the metal loom and then a wire for each cylinder running from the loom to the spark plug. 

Yeah I really like the Flatties and I check them out when the wife and I are at the car shows with our 49 Chevy Pickup.  As far as the fenders go.....it was just a thought but I'm not going to get into something that deep.  Would look kewl though.  I'm just going to run 4 plug wires from each side of the distributor and run them to the plug.  Should be fine for me.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, mchook said:

The wiring looks great, but I think your carb is on sideways. The bulge for the float should be facing forward.

Thanks.  Well....the carb is keyed to fit the intake only one way.  I guess I should have looked closer.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/16/2021 at 9:28 PM, mchook said:

That old Lindberg kit didn't come as a dual wheeled truck. It had the options of stock, hot rod, rack body or wrecker but they were all single wheels. Not that you can't do it but it might funny with the wire wheels. I'm sure whatever you choose will be cool!

 

You are correct that the LINDBERG versions of this kit did not include dual rear wheels. However, a couple of the AMT versions did actual have a dual wheel setup. @Dave Darby can probably fill in the details

34 Ford Stake Truck / Pickup, AMT T314 (1969)

1934 Ford Custom Stake Pickup (2 'n 1) Stock or Custom (1/25) (fs)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I got some paint on the body.  The pic is of a 34 I saw online somewhere and loved the color.   If it belongs to one of you fella's here I'm sorry for being a copy cat but the color just strikes my fancy.  I used Folkart acrylic paint as my Anita's go to paint dudnt have the right colors.  I may shoot the clear tomorrow.

 

 

20211019_141032.jpg.3609611f28945bf128d98612d553f525.jpg

20211019_141059.jpg.e6c543fde24d9e5db1c6b7796f6e9fa6.jpg

1934 Ford Truck in Green & Brown.jpg

Edited by Zippi
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, Zippi said:

I got some paint on the body.  The pic is of a 34 I saw online somewhere and loved the color.   If it belongs to one of you fella's here I'm sorry for being a copy cat but the color just strikes my fancy.  I used Folkart acrylic paint as my Anita's go to paint dudnt have the right colors.  I may shoot the clear tomorrow.

1934 Ford Truck in Green & Brown.jpg

I believe that is by Anthony Hazelaar (corrected spelling, sorry Anthony)

Edited by Mr. Metallic
fixed name
Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, Mr. Metallic said:

I believe that is by Anthony Helezar (horrible spelling job, sorry about that

 Thanks for the Info.  Anthony, if your on this forum my hat's off to you for a killer looking 34.

Edited by Zippi
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...