Model Cars Magazine Forum

So many "57 Chevy kits. Can we stand another one ?

I was thinking, there are so many "57 Chevy kits out there and companies are always looking for ways to get just one more shot out of their old molds. What If one of them did a Popular Hot Rodding Project "X" kit ?

It would have all of the options to build anyone of the many variations PHR did through out it's life.

Hot Rod Garage has returned it to it's Hollywood Knights version. 

download (3).jpg

download (4).jpg

images (1).jpg

As for the project X '57 Chevy question. That would be easy for Revell to use the Bel Air two post tool and remove the Bel Air trim from the body sides and use the shorter rear tail trim from the Black Widow 150 tool. This is something we as modelers could do with a little carful sanding. The late AMT '57 Bel Air hardtop tool is pretty hard to beat and Revell has given us a Convertible tool. So really other than a Sedan Delivery. I have a couple of nice Resins already, a two door or four door wagon this leaves the one I would line up to buy, as sfhess, Scott, mentioned the Nomad. Revell offered one many years ago but the body and the roof in particular just wasn't correct. I have been holding off putting the roof section from the '56 Nomad on the '57 Convertible but only because I want to build the Convertible.   

1 hour ago, espo said:

I have been holding off putting the roof section from the '56 Nomad on the '57 Convertible but only because I want to build the Convertible.   

It would work better using the 2DS body, then you won't have to correct the doors and quarters. 

3 hours ago, Mark said:

Unfortunately the time for a Project X kit has long since passed...PHR no longer exists, and how often does Hot Rod drag the car out?

They have it on Hot Rod Garage from time to time, it’s been partially in-Pro-Tour-ed, has a blower on an LS, brakes made to allow for smaller rims on a C-5/C-6 front suspension, etc.

54 minutes ago, SfanGoch said:

There are more '57 Chevy kits available than the actual number of this particular model which were produced by General Motors. With relatively few exceptions, there's nothing that makes the majority stand out in the crowd.

'57 Chevy- the Bf-109 or P-51 Mustang of the car modeling scene. 

9 minutes ago, RSchnell said:

'57 Chevy- the Bf-109 or P-51 Mustang of the car modeling scene. 

You can add Tiger I's and Pz IV's to that list. I'm surprised that a kit representing an Early/Mid/Late production Tiger I completed on April 23, 1944 at 4:47:14 P.M. with realistically detailed, 74 piece PE beverage stains on the engine hatch representing the beer that Udo Fartfinger, Lehrling Schraubertechniker 3. Klasse. spilled when he kicked over a bottle of flat Nörten Hardenberger Bock.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, SfanGoch said:

You can add Tiger I's and Pz IV's to that list. I'm surprised that a kit representing an Early/Mid/Late production Tiger I completed on April 23, 1944 at 4:47:14 P.M. with realistically detailed, 74 piece PE beverage stains on the engine hatch representing the beer that Udo Fartfinger, Lehrling Schraubertechniker 3. Klasse. spilled when he kicked over a bottle of flat Nörten Hardenberger Bock.

Ain't that the truth! I enjoy an aircraft kit every now & then, but reading the forums you feel like a second class citizen because you didn't send Eduard a weeks wages and using whatever brand of paint is the flavor of the month all for nothing that will be seen once the fuselage is closed up. 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, RSchnell said:

Ain't that the truth! I enjoy an aircraft kit every now & then, but reading the forums you feel like a second class citizen because you didn't send Eduard a weeks wages and using whatever brand of paint is the flavor of the month all for nothing that will be seen once the fuselage is closed up. 

Plus which you're expected to spend at least as much as the kit cost on aftermarket resin, photoetch, white metal, "canopy masks," and so forth. Apparently no model airplane or tank ever released is fit to build using the actual kit parts. :blink::lol:

• Haha 2

42 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

Plus which you're expected to spend at least as much as the kit cost on aftermarket resin, photoetch, white metal, "canopy masks," and so forth. Apparently no model airplane or tank ever released is fit to build using the actual kit parts. :blink::lol:

That's usually how I actually build my aircraft kits, unless it comes with extras. If no one likes that fact, don't look at it or comment lol.

I could go for Project X 1957 Chevrolet kit.  I had some issues of Popular Hot Rodding with Project X that spent as much time and got just as greasy as the tools n the garage when I was working on my first car.  Good times, good memories.  The Clockwork Chevy in Car Craft magazine would be right in there as well.

Now normally, I would usually get a little hot on the back of my neck at a suggestion like this 😡…and think of other subjects that are more sorely needed 😁…but in this case, i think it would be really nice if we got an all-new, detailed and accurate ‘57 Nomad and ‘57 Sedan Delivery. Surely they could be done from the same tool? 🤔