Model Cars Magazine Forum

1992 Ford F150 Nite

I'm pretty sure I'm not alone when I say I hate doing perfect, glossy black paint jobs. That's why I have several Knight 2000s, a couple of 1966 Batmobiles, and the 1995 Bill Elliot Thunderbat stock car in various stages of non-finished. But I can do a reasonable so-so gloss black paint job, so that's what we have here. It could still stand a polish when the clear fully cures but here it is for now.

Base kit is an original '92 AMT/Ertl F150 short bed, with a spare set of buckets and a center console from a Lightning parts kit It also has a parts box floor shifter for the transmission, now a six speed manual. It was lowered and treated to a NASCAR Thunderbird front suspension. The wheels and tires came from Welly and they do a reasonably good job of showing off the Pegasus drilled rotors. Under the hood is a 2014 Ford 5.0, fitted with a supercharger from Iceman Collections. The conical open element air filter also came from Iceman. The same NASCAR T-Bird that coughed up it's front suspension also donated it's electric fan. I had to do quite a bit of fiddling to get the engine to sit where I wanted it- for whatever reason these kit's have either too much engine setback or a firewall that protrudes too far forward. Perhaps a tad of both. I wanted to show off the supercharger. I also tried a blue-to-purple fade effect on the cam covers, to match the Nite graphics. 

Speaking of- those were the entire reason I had to do a black paint job on this one. They came from Ray's Decals (he shows up here from time to time as @echoxrayniner) and they were well worth the price and wait time... they had to come to the US from The Netherlands given the hellscape that is the combined horror of US customs and the USPS. They're nicely rendered and lay down beautifully. And the sheet comes with a few extra goodies such as F250 and F350 fender badges, Power Stroke markings, and stripes to do two Nites. In addition to the paint, the body also had it's rub strips removed and the forward fuel door filled in, and was relieved of it's molded fender badges (naturally replaced with the badges supplied on the decal sheet). They're molded on one big clear carrier so you'll need to cut each individual graphic, but the carrier absolutely vanished against the paint so it's no deal breaker if your hands arent' so steady.

Now if you'll excuse me... I need to get around to another gloss black paint job, because with these Nite decals I also ordered his '79 GMC Caballero Diablo set...

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by Chuck Most
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Astounding work  , Chuck !  Great job with the conversion to the newer 5.0 Coyote  ( some day I'll convert my 1:1 2004 CVPI to that engine ) . 

I don't believe that I've ever seen - much less heard of - a Nite  edition F-150... and I worked in the parts department of a Ford dealership from 1996-2001 .

7 minutes ago, 1972coronet said:

Astounding work  , Chuck !  Great job with the conversion to the newer 5.0 Coyote  ( some day I'll convert my 1:1 2004 CVPI to that engine ) . 

I don't believe that I've ever seen - much less heard of - a Nite  edition F-150... and I worked in the parts department of a Ford dealership from 1996-2001 .

They were only sold in '91 and '92.

The painting company I worked for back then painted the largest Ford truck dealer in the province every summer alternating between outside one year and inside the next for 6 or 7 years. They had a couple on the lot back then but even when new, they were very rare. The package could also be had on the full size Bronco but that was super rare. I've never seen one of those.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Can-Con said:

They were only sold in '91 and '92.

Around the time of the front clip restylling , no ?  It's quite possible that the two local dealerships had them back then ( Board Ford in Whittier , and Burch Ford in La Habra --both sadly gone now ) . Both were performance-oriented dealerships , so it wouldn't surprise me to discover that they had at least one in-stock at one time or another .

On 10/18/2021 at 8:33 AM, hct728(Bob) said:

Looks great in that unique stripe, a perfect fit too! Wheels and stance are just right, neat job fitting it all.

What paint are you using, gotta do a glossy black myself very soon, the last part of a three-tone job and I don’t want to mess it up (again)!

That's actually the Revell acrylic spray can stuff- gloss black followed by gloss clear. Actually pretty good stuff for spray cans. Not quite Tamiya level but so close it's a tad unsettling.