Model Cars Magazine Forum

*First Time Flocker*

24 minutes ago, Fantom said:

I was looking for embossing powder at our local Michael’s last week and all the had were metallic embossing powders. 

Haven't had much experience with embossing powder, I still have a large supply of many different (useless) colors of flocking I bought off Ebay several years ago.  However, I believe embossing powder can be painted over once applied to the interior, therefore allowing you to have whatever color interior you wanted.

1 minute ago, TarheelRick said:

Haven't had much experience with embossing powder, I still have a large supply of many different (useless) colors of flocking I bought off Ebay several years ago.  However, I believe embossing powder can be painted over once applied to the interior, therefore allowing you to have whatever color interior you wanted.

Thanks Ricky.

22 minutes ago, Zippi said:

Haha....good one Patrick.

It’s not too late to edit the title.😈

This is embossing powder painted. It looks a little rough, but the camera picks up flaws that the eyes don’t. I know others on here paint it many different colours with great results.

A8B7CA8F-2E86-4C0F-B5AD-4859978353D9.jpeg

81208589-BBD7-4F54-B366-CDCBB744AA50.jpeg

9 minutes ago, NOBLNG said:

It’s not too late to edit the title.😈

This is embossing powder painted. It looks a little rough, but the camera picks up flaws that the eyes don’t. I know others on here paint it many different colours with great results.

A8B7CA8F-2E86-4C0F-B5AD-4859978353D9.jpeg

81208589-BBD7-4F54-B366-CDCBB744AA50.jpeg

That looks pretty good Greg.  

3 hours ago, Zippi said:

Just got back from HL and the only think I could find was Embossing Powder. That is above my pay grade so I passed on it. 

Embossing Powder.jpg

I own few colors of that brand.  Good stuff, but you could prob shop around and get little cheaper.  I got mine from the actual site when they had a coupon.

6 hours ago, Zippi said:

Just got back from HL and the only think I could find was Embossing Powder. That is above my pay grade so I passed on it. 

Embossing Powder.jpg

$6 is *ABOVE* your pay grade?  How much does a vial of flocking material cost?

Flock you, you flocking flock! 

(Sorry I just had to write that). :D

You can get a lot of embossing powder in many different colors, relatively cheaply if you look around for it.

Look for sets of various colors from "Hampton Art".

I have a set of solid colors, and a set of metallic.

Both work nicely for carpet.

If you look around a bit, you should be able to find one of these sets of 16 different colors for between $15.00 and $20.00.

Sounds like a lot, but a little bottle of this stuff will last you forever!

I don't know for certain, but if I had to guess, I would say that one bottle probably has enough powder in it to do 8 or 10 models.

with a set of 16 colors, that's a whole bunch of models!!

image.jpeg.62cd4268f2537712f45e4c017b154344.jpeg

You can paint over the powder as well, but with a couple of sets of this stuff, there's rarely any need to.

Here are a couple done with metallic powder straight from the jar.

image.jpeg.d473059d510f3c28f6ab6ab98115df4d.jpeg

image.jpeg.3c98e5287c6e8b1dfe218d992bc387dd.jpeg

image.jpeg.3690e78f2b82c3876734c045c32fe7d5.jpeg

image.jpeg.8043de45622fb3eea9ecb016f29341d7.jpeg

This one was done with black powder, but it looked a little thin so I threw a thin coat of black primer over it.

image.jpeg.b1540dd2acef074a21c8b791b3510bad.jpeg

image.jpeg.55c22c3643a30c51bc4723743ae73801.jpeg

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

18 minutes ago, chris chabre said:

the metallic powder looks perfect for a custom interior!

The thing that I like about the metallic powder is that it gives more definition than monotone powder. Once all of the rest of the interior parts are installed, it’s hard to see a monotone powder. 
With the metallic powder, the metallic in it gives the illusion of more texture when the interior is completely assembled.

At least that’s the perception that I get.

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

1 minute ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

The thing that I like about the metallic powder is that it gives more definition than monotone powder. Once all of the rest of the interior parts are installed, it’s hard to see a monotone powder. 
With the metallic powder, the metallic in it gives the illusion of more texture when the interior is completely assembled.

At least that’s the perception that I get.

Steve

it definitely brings out the color. Didnt late 50s GM have rugs like that as well?