Model Cars Magazine Forum

My Ghosting He!!

I was working on the AMT Chevy Rescue van last year.  and well, I did something I should not have, I filled the sunroof score with Testors glue and allowed it to dry a few weeks. Some heavy sanding, filler, spot fill primer, I wet sanded and painted. I sanded and buffed the finish and she looked great so I did my decals. 

Duplicolor primer and touch up paint was used.

Well, we started some home renovations and my kits were put away. Pulled out the van this evening and "BAM" the sunroof outline ghosted badly. Now, I can mask and repaint the roof, but I must figure out how to keep the ghosting from coming back.

Initial thought was sand it all down and use polyester 2 part filler on it. (Previously I used spot putty) Then I thought maybe just sand it down as flat as possible and then polyester.

Unfortunately I must be super careful because my decals are obsolete. 

Any suggestions?

IMG_20211017_225834875.jpg

It is  not just the Testors Cement that stays soft and stays soft and shrinks for a long time. It also softens the plastic around it.  I would remove the glue and the surrounding plastic, then use some non shrinking filler to patch the sunroof.

Edited by peteski

7 hours ago, Foghorn Leghorn said:

Testors tube cement takes a solid year to fully harden. Maybe longer. Sorry about your luck.

I mostly use microballoons and superglue but also use some finely ground 2-part polyester auto body filler.

4 hours ago, peteski said:

It is  not just the Testors Cement that stays soft and stays soft and shrinks for a long time. It also softens the plastic around it.  I would remove the glue and the surrounding plastic, then use some non shrinking filler to patch the sunroof.

Both true. Grind all that junk out and replace it with resin, epoxy, or superglue gel (I prefer LocTite brand). 

• Like 1