Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mine came in the mail today. Hope I don't start some sort of flame war here, but was not really impressed with it.  Kind of reminded me of some streaming TV shows I watch: 3 minutes of show and 3 minutes of commercial break.  Appeared to have a whole lot of "stuff to buy" and limited building content.  Did enjoy the coverage of the Las Vegas show, although it also covered quite a few pages.  Still I am looking forward to #211.  Applaud the team for keeping the magazine going.

On 11/5/2021 at 9:45 AM, TarheelRick said:

Mine came in the mail today. Hope I don't start some sort of flame war here, but was not really impressed with it.  Kind of reminded me of some streaming TV shows I watch: 3 minutes of show and 3 minutes of commercial break.  Appeared to have a whole lot of "stuff to buy" and limited building content.  Did enjoy the coverage of the Las Vegas show, although it also covered quite a few pages.  Still I am looking forward to #211.  Applaud the team for keeping the magazine going.

I always thumb through the magazine first and then go back and read every page but my impression was what you said. The kit reviews are always my favorite part so hopefully that will satisfy me.

🤯 Surprisingly, I got my issue #210 today!  After not receiving the last issue through normal channels, I was shocked to see it in the mail this morning.  YEAH!!!

In so far as the content goes, I think it's a good issue BUT it has different content than #209.  That will happen when you have show coverage included and #210 has 10 pages of the Las Vegas show content.  It is not chock full of articles like the one on Atlantis in issue #209.  If you're going to have show content included, it will take the place of normal content.  Can you have both?  Sure!  The thing is that if you go over a certain number of pages in an issue, the production costs go up to produce that issue depending on how the printing contact was written.

When I wrote for the mis-managed and poorly executed The Car Room Magazine, each issue had to be kept under 90 pages.  If it went to 95 pages, it hit another price bracket for the entire issue per printed copy.  It's like your boss giving you a Bonus check that drives your salary into a higher tax bracket.  I'm not saying that is the way MCM is published, just relaying personal knowledge from a previous nightmare...er, ah experience.

Do I think the Show Coverage detracts in a normal issue?  Well, if one issue a year is planned to be dedicated to all shows throughout the year, I really don't see the point of having show coverage in a "normal" issue.  Then there is Covid and not only are model shows shut down, the rest of the world was too.  So no issue dedicated to show coverage and since the Las Vegas show may be one of the few to be covered in the last year...well, there ya go.

Personally, I like seeing other builder's ideas and probably why I like custom cars so much.  The creative processes spark my own creative thinking!  But, back to my point...

My opinion only but when SAE was in publication, you were offered a separate issue (at a separate price) to your subscription for ONLY show coverage.  I say, lets be different...with each subscription of normal issues, get an additional issue with only show coverage INCLUDED!!!!  Yes I know, it would be additional cost to MCM but it would help to keep money in-house as opposed to outside.

just my 2 cents.

Edited by BDSchindler

210 just arrived today, Nov. 9, in ZIP 917-- east of Los Angeles, CA. A quick glance through it looks good. I'd never be interested in the old Renwal kit but it was good to see what the parts look like. The other things look like a good mix of new tools, new kits and show coverage. Gregg and his crew have really done a nice job. I hope that future issues are as good as this and issue 209. Keep up the good work!

On 10/22/2021 at 9:18 AM, peter31a said:

Wow! That looks sharp! Now I have 2 magazines to look forward to getting. 209 and this one.  At the rate 209 is taking, I guess I won't see this one until after January 1, 2022.

You night want to check on that. I got #209 over a month ago at a local hobby Shop.

11 minutes ago, Dave Darby said:

You night want to check on that. I got #209 over a month ago at a local hobby Shop.

Thanks, Dave. After waiting another couple of weeks, I’ve been getting help from Dave Ambrose. I’m good until issue 214 so 209 is lost in the vast postal system of our 2 countries. We are sorting it out.

16 hours ago, Dennis Lacy said:

I got mine yesterday and was absolutely blown away to see a 2 page spread with HUGE pictures on my ‘27 T Touring hot rod. First ink I’ve ever had. Whoever made that decision, THANK YOU!!! 😎

Congrats, Dennis!  Very well deserved, for sure!   TIM

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...