Model Cars Magazine Forum

1934 Ford chopped C400

carbuilder1950

Posted for @Claude Thibodeau

This is one of my favorite cars of the 1934 fords. This one is a curbside.

Not many of these were made, so it's a real treat to go to a car show and see one

This one was lengthened threw the cowl and fenders, and the grill was laid back a tad.

The chopped side windows on each side were made up of 11 pieces each, to get the look I wanted,

and the top was hand-made.

I love the color of burnt copper metal flake, on this '34, so you'll see it show up every once in a while,

on other cars, like on the '61 Dodge Phoenix.

Any way, enough talk.

2010_0601Photobucket10002.JPG.e76e642979abac1ca7e8c2c4b5eda3b2.JPG

2010_0601Photobucket10003.JPG

2010_0601Photobucket10004.JPG

2010_0601Photobucket10006.JPG

2010_0601Photobucket10001.JPG

2010_0601Photobucket10007.JPG

• Like 1

Very sweet looking custom... I’d have to agree with you about that metallic copper, it’s beautiful to look at... and you did very well on the painting.... I was curious what you used for the chrome metal trim that wraps around the body?

• Like 1

Hi David!

Thank you for showing us this beauty! On "close inspection", it is even nicer that what we saw in the background of your Kustom Coach thread. Bravo!

I see you used the Wagon-Rod rollingstock. The rear tires are very wide in that kit. Did-you section the floorpan to clear them, or narrow the wheels/tires to fit?

And I'm also curious about the basic kit body you used. AMT had a sedan (in 33 and 34 versions), but the front fenders and general proportions were openly critiqued by many as being "off the mark" in relation to the 1/1 car.

So, what is your secret recipe? Just curious... 

Bravo again!

CT 

• Like 1

On 10/22/2021 at 10:27 PM, Venom said:

Very sweet looking custom... I’d have to agree with you about that metallic copper, it’s beautiful to look at... and you did very well on the painting.... I was curious what you used for the chrome metal trim that wraps around the body?

Hi Josh @Venom

The colors in these photos can fool us sometimes.

That pin stripe that goes around the body is from a roll of WHITE 1/64 tape I got at our local Hobbytown.

Edited by carbuilder1950

4 hours ago, Claude Thibodeau said:

Hi David!

Thank you for showing us this beauty! On "close inspection", it is even nicer that what we saw in the background of your Kustom Coach thread. Bravo!

I see you used the Wagon-Rod rollingstock. The rear tires are very wide in that kit. Did-you section the floorpan to clear them, or narrow the wheels/tires to fit?

And I'm also curious about the basic kit body you used. AMT had a sedan (in 33 and 34 versions), but the front fenders and general proportions were openly critiqued by many as being "off the mark" in relation to the 1/1 car.

So, what is your secret recipe? Just curious... 

Bravo again!

CT 

Hi Claude @Claude Thibodeau

Good to hear from you again.

To start answering your questions, I had to clear the rear tires by cutting away part of the body first, if I remember right, the body had a panel where the wider tire went, so I had to grind that away with my Dremel, and then I had to cut away part of the tire to clear the interior tub corner. 

When I lengthened the front fenders to match the body being lengthened, I raised the front fenders a bit in the process, and that seemed to help address the fender problem, and look of the car, and allowed me to lower the car more in the front.

A fun project with some fun challenges.

I hope I answered your questions  well enough Claude.

More than happy to answer an more questions you or others might have.

Edited by carbuilder1950

2 hours ago, Koellefornia Kid said:

Wow, that is cool! Beautiful work on the roof! I guess it started as an AMT sedan(?) That was my very first kit more than 25 years ago...🥰  

@Koellefornia Kid

The sedan kit is a nice one Oliver. I have several more waiting for some love.

Cool that this was your first kit. It's a nice one👍. I have at least one other that I built closer to stock, and was happy with that one too.

Edited by carbuilder1950

51 minutes ago, carbuilder1950 said:

Hi Claude @Claude Thibodeau

Good to hear from you again.

To start answering your questions, I had to clear the rear tires by cutting away part of the body first, if I remember right, the body had a panel where the wider tire went, so I had to grind that away with my Dremel, and then I had to cut away part of the tire to clear the interior tub corner. 

When I lengthened the front fenders to match the body being lengthened, I raised the front fenders a bit in the process, and that seemed to help address the fender problem, and look of the car, and allowed me to lower the car more in the front.

A fun project with some fun challenges.

I hope I answered your questions  well enough Claude.

More than happy to answer an more questions you or others might have.

Thanks again, David!

Well, from now on, I will look at that AMT 33 sedan in my stash with new eyes!

CT 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Claude Thibodeau said:

Thanks again, David!

Well, from now on, I will look at that AMT 33 sedan in my stash with new eyes!

CT 

@Claude Thibodeau

Remember, I built this as a curbside with no chassis, so there were a lot more options for me to work with.

I built this as more of a styling study, than a completely detailed build. I have several builds I have done that with, to just get a look I wanted, 

without building a complete car with chassis and engine.

A couple I did even without body lines, to give the car a smoother more streamlined look, and to just focus on the design.

I have fun with no boundaries for building.

Best regards, Dave

17 hours ago, carbuilder1950 said:

@Claude Thibodeau

Remember, I built this as a curbside with no chassis, so there were a lot more options for me to work with.

I built this as more of a styling study, than a completely detailed build. I have several builds I have done that with, to just get a look I wanted, 

without building a complete car with chassis and engine.

A couple I did even without body lines, to give the car a smoother more streamlined look, and to just focus on the design.

I have fun with no boundaries for building.

Best regards, Dave

Hi Dave!

Now, let's just say you are part-modeler, part sculptor! I share your view!

CT 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Claude Thibodeau said:

Hi Dave!

Now, let's just say you are part-modeler, part sculptor! I share your view!

CT 

Hi  Claude @Claude Thibodeau

I've been an artist all my life and just absolutely love bright colors and contrast.

Once in a while you'll see me post a single color car, but most of the time I'll use 2 , 3 or 4 colors in a build, and/or use colors in the details to make a car "POP" a little more.

As far as being a sculptor, like colors, I love being a "putty thrower" 👍 (Using body fillers). There is something so enjoyable, (Maybe even cathartic,) about painting colors, and reshaping a car, or scratch-building.

I just love this hobby, and seeing other peoples work, and being here is a real treat for me.

Have a great Sunday, Dave