Model Cars Magazine Forum

1940 Ford Coupe

ModelcarJR

Thanks, All! I appreciate your comments! John, I don't anticipate any changes to the chassis/suspension other than modifying it to fit the engine.  I don't really have the knowledge to know what is correct and my general approach with the chassis is to make sure it holds the wheels in the right place. 

Slow progress but some progress.  I have the fender unit rubbed out and foil on the body.  Also completed one wheel tire combo. Steel wheels with beauty rings and small hubcaps are my favorite treatment for old cars. Thanks for looking! 😎

enhance

Thanks, Bob and Rick! I appreciate your comments! 

I fought all morning with the wing widows in this thing to get them glued in, foiled and a little black paint around the edges.  I cut apart the glass shell that comes with these old kits and tried to fit each piece tight. Added the last aftermarket mirror that I had from R  & M, although its not very visible. Interior is in so I am ready to move on to the engine and chassis.

I'm still not sure what engine this is from the Revell 32 5 window. It has heads and valve covers like a HEMI biut the distributor is in the back of the engine. maybe its a "colorful V8" that some engineer at Revell dreamed up! Thanks for looking! 

00-Y-8Yc6DVh--ZPkGITLwl4ftFjzPT9fAvEBf1aalWdFx-5GxnQ2Q4bioFPiFJXUL25cYdfB3jRoL_VZILaXEufg?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1635722315

00-Y-8Yc6DVh--ZPkGITLwl4ftFjzPT9fAvEBf1aalWdFwG3tblm_-6A_pEjTotT6McrnHjCyIZu59oV2we_kMG9A?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1635722315

enhance

This just keeps getting better looking. The Vent Window mounting issue was something of a draw back on this kit from day one. There never was a good positive mounting point so it was up to the builder to figure out something, your look good in the photo. 

Thanks, All and thanks Dennis for the information! Its so nice that there is someone on the forum that has the knowledge that I don't have about engines. 

So I am trying to fit this HEMI into the 40 Ford.  Its a tight fit! I'll add some blackwash after I ge4t everlything together. No room for the battery - it must be in the trunk! Thanks for lookking!

enhance

enhance

7 minutes ago, espo said:

If need be you could always notch the inner fenders with a 1/25th 8 lb. hammer. A short handled 8 lb hammer was a standard engine installation tool in the old days.  

Commonly called the "BFH". ☺

Thanks, All! I appreciate your comments! 

It took most of the day but I finally shoe-horned this HEMI into place, modified the driveshaft, and glued everything down. I didn't have room for any headiers or exhaust manifolds (wouldn't be able to see them anyhow) so I left them out just like the original engine in the kit. I did add a coil to the firewall and a top radiator hose.  Only a few more pieces of hardware and this one will be done!  Thanks for looking! 

00-Y-8Yc6DVh--ZPkGITLwl4ftFjzPT9fAvEBf1aalWdFyi32zswqZHMVvlZrGgILkZKwg5ydwHipy3aIZBf9dNYQ?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1635989660

00-Y-8Yc6DVh--ZPkGITLwl4ftFjzPT9fAvEBf1aalWdFzwDTBahDqsI3YUrpZf9MeTldMTLfbtJ__wYVBQ_4iTow?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1635989660

enhance