Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mr Hobby Rapid thinner

1 hour ago, charlie8575 said:

I haven't used this, but I can tell you from experience of friends who have used Mr. Hobby products is they don't play well with other brands of paint, so it would have to be with Mr. Hobby paints if you were thinking of trying mix-and-match.

Charlie Larkin

Interesting.  I use Mr. Hobby Leveling Thinner with Tamiya acrylics and lacquer, Testor's enamel and other paints.  No problems yet.

• Like 1

Yeah the lvling thinner works just about with anything almost.  I have the rapid thinner, but I've only used it with flat colors and it works fantastic.  Test on a spoon to see how it'll do with metallics.   Be careful ordering anything off amazon tamiya or mr hobby, because you will end up over paying a lot on a lot of products.  Mr.Rapid thinner is one of those products that isn't that popular and a lot of people probably never heard of or knew existed.  It's made specifically for using with metallics to help the metallics level out more even(Because of decreased drying time), but also works great with flat paints as well.  Also i checked amazon and $12 is about right as with other places spraygunner etc.

Edited by Dpate
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Dpate said:

Yeah the lvling thinner works just about with anything almost.  I have the rapid thinner, but I've only used it with flat colors and it works fantastic.  Test on a spoon to see how it'll do with metallics.   Be careful ordering anything off amazon tamiya or mr hobby, because you will end up over paying a lot on a lot of products.  Mr.Rapid thinner is one of those products that isn't that popular and a lot of people probably never heard of or knew existed.  It's made specifically for using with metallics to help the metallics level out more even(Because of decreased drying time), but also works great with flat paints as well.  Also i checked amazon and $12 is about right as with other places spraygunner etc.

Thank you, appreciate the feedback

On 10/24/2021 at 4:07 PM, Dpate said:

.......It's made specifically for using with metallics to help the metallics level out more even(Because of decreased drying time), but also works great with flat paints as well.  Also i checked amazon and $12 is about right as with other places spraygunner etc.

This is contrary to what I have found out. It is called Mr. Rapid Thinner, because as you said, it flashes out faster than Mr.Color Thinner. Because of this, it does not allow the metallic particles to level out uniformly, but rather maintain the randomness that they achieve when sprayed on a surface. The reason for this is to better replicate the metallic that is being sprayed. As for a chrome surface, I would think that you do want to achieve a more uniform result, and would best achieve this with Mr. Leveling Thinner.