Model Cars Magazine Forum

GM wrecker Snap kit

I'll be watching this one.  This kit seems to be priced pretty high on eBay. It will be nice to see one built.

On 10/25/2021 at 6:52 PM, Vince66 said:

My hopes are to make working revolving lights ?????? Fingers crossed

Doesn't that light bar have 4 rotating reflectors on each side?  That will be quite feat to make them all rotating. Maybe you can simulate the rotation by having several  LEDs cycling in sequence at each light bulb location.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, peteski said:

I'll be watching this one.  This kit seems to be priced pretty high on eBay. It will be nice to see one built.

Doesn't that light bar have 4 rotating reflectors on each side?  That will be quite feat to make them all rotating. Maybe you can simulate the rotation by having several  LEDs cycling in sequence at each light bulb location.

Actually made a working light bar years ago just have to remember how I did it 

I have some super tiny .0204 smds I got a bunch from overseas a couple years back talking could be headlights for ant's lol

2 hours ago, Vince66 said:

Actually made a working light bar years ago just have to remember how I did it 

I have some super tiny .0204 smds I got a bunch from overseas a couple years back talking could be headlights for ant's lol

You piqued my curiosity!  Do you mean SMD 0201 or 0402?

Back over 20 years ago I built the Revell Peterbuilt wrecker and I lit it up. At that time those tiny LEDs did not exist yet.  I used tiny bulbs in the light bar, and built a circuit which sequentially ramped up and down their brightens to simulate rotation.  Things are bit easier today.

57-01_150_zpslokkhb51.jpg

56-02_150_zpssmyyfji0.jpg

I hid the electronics in the wrecker body.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, peteski said:

Back over 20 years ago I built the Revell Peterbuilt wrecker and I lit it up. At that time those tiny LEDs did not exist yet.  I used tiny bulbs in the light bar, and built a circuit which sequentially ramped up and down their brightens to simulate rotation.  Things are bit easier today.

My bad your right made me look at the package again yes 0201

tiny little buggers  

13 hours ago, peteski said:

I remember that one it's what gave me the inspiration to do what I'm trying to do 

18 hours ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

Wheels in dirty white or black for a work truck.

And ditch the goofy stickers!

Yeah those goofy peel and stick in file 13 ;∆}

What I was thinking but which one black or white or 3 white and one black or 3black and one white lol🤔😁

24 minutes ago, Vince66 said:

Yeah those goofy peel and stick in file 13 ;∆}

What I was thinking but which one black or white or 3 white and one black or 3black and one white lol🤔😁

Personally, I'm so over the black wheels and tires thing. So I'd say worn, weathered, white, work wheels will work wonderfully!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Vince66 said:

My bad your right made me look at the package again yes 0201

tiny little buggers  

They sure are!  Smallest ones made!  Footprint of 0.020" x 0.040".  That scales out to 0.5" x 1" in 1:25 scale. A size of a typical small 1:1 automotive light bulb, like #194.

Did you get them pre-wired, or will you solder your own wires?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, peteski said:

They sure are!  Smallest ones made!  Footprint of 0.020" x 0.040".  That scales out to 0.5" x 1" in 1:25 scale. A size of a typical small 1:1 automotive light bulb, like #194.

Did you get them pre-wired, or will you solder your own wires?

Prewired from China

Yes darn tiny lol🤗

Edited by Vince66