Model Cars Magazine Forum

1969 corvette

tbill

Another group build with some buddies, we are doing birth year builds , so I chose the 69 vette. I picked Marlboro maroon for body color, and tan for the interior. Didn’t want to use rally wheels, so I robbed the wheels ( hub caps) from a 70 impala kit to replicate the corvette deluxe wheel covers. Hope to keep working on this and the Camaro regularly in the next few weeks. Thanks for looking.

37D88C02-6388-4788-AA33-E70057D10588.jpeg

217192FC-F8DC-44F7-B7E0-91CBC376B6F4.jpeg

0EAE70E8-BAED-4802-BEC4-5B53922345DD.jpeg

017CDD76-2093-42A5-A8AF-5B8820EA3564.jpeg

3E3A1697-33C4-4183-AFF7-918D86670C9C.jpeg

251744D1-E0FE-442C-8D5D-13471DE01496.jpeg

You paint job on the body is better than anything GM did on the Corvette at that time. Nice to see the Hub Caps as they were not often seen at the time but the give a different look to the Corvette. By the way those things weighed more than 5 lbs. each, try balancing that wheel. 

You're off to a great start! Love the color and you're getting a good finish. Don't forget to hit the ends of the back window with some of that maroon. 

Revell's '68 and '69 Corvettes are some of their very best kits of the modern era, even though they're now somewhere around 30 years old or more. Well, except for that weird rear window on the coupe thing, but that's easily fixed/dealt with. Drive on! B)

1 hour ago, Snake45 said:

You're off to a great start! Love the color and you're getting a good finish. Don't forget to hit the ends of the back window with some of that maroon. 

Revell's '68 and '69 Corvettes are some of their very best kits of the modern era, even though they're now somewhere around 30 years old or more. Well, except for that weird rear window on the coupe thing, but that's easily fixed/dealt with. Drive on! B)

what's the deal with the rear window? i have a couple of these in the pipeline

looking good tom!

42 minutes ago, radiohd10 said:

what's the deal with the rear window? i have a couple of these in the pipeline

They've got it molded with "wrap-arounds" on the ends that go into the roof, and they shouldn't. Best thing to do it cut these off, glue and putty them into the roof where they belong, then drive on. Second best thing to do is just paint 'em. 

39 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

They've got it molded with "wrap-arounds" on the ends that go into the roof, and they shouldn't. Best thing to do it cut these off, glue and putty them into the roof where they belong, then drive on. Second best thing to do is just paint 'em. 

ahh man...good to know.  i was planning on t-topping one of them, so i guess i'll just keep the saw out a little longer.  thanks!

Thanks for the positive comments guys, much appreciated.

Snake, thanks for that heads up, haven’t even looked at the glass yet….

the paint is actual Marlboro maroon , mixed by a body shop and put in a spray can. It was for another project years ago, and turned out to be the wrong color for that particular build. My process is simple, normal body prep ( mold line removal, knock the peaks down on fender/quarters, quick sanding with 2k paper), prime with model primer , then prime with automotive primer from a spray can,( helps when using hotter paints) wet sand that, then sling some paint. I’ve developed a method of quick and close when painting, I rarely get orange peel anymore, and have learned the limits so I don’t get runs/sags. After the color coat dries, I hit it with clear, usually 3-4 coats. After that cures, I’ll wet sand with 2k, then 3k and then 5K , then I’ll hit it with Meguiars 105 then 205 and polish it out.

here’s the paint,

D6671387-A5D0-4A1B-9108-91F1126735EF.jpeg

• Like 1

On 10/26/2021 at 7:32 PM, kelson said:

Nice start, i built a 69 a couple years ago using the same wheelcovers,except mine was painted Fathom Green and was a small block with side exhaust and a luggage rack.

Your build may very well be what stuck in my head as far as the wheel choice, as I remember a discussion about them on here.

and please post a picture or two of your build for inspiration.

Edited by tbill
Added info

On 10/26/2021 at 5:23 PM, tbill said:

Thanks for the positive comments guys, much appreciated.

Snake, thanks for that heads up, haven’t even looked at the glass yet….

the paint is actual Marlboro maroon , mixed by a body shop and put in a spray can. It was for another project years ago, and turned out to be the wrong color for that particular build. My process is simple, normal body prep ( mold line removal, knock the peaks down on fender/quarters, quick sanding with 2k paper), prime with model primer , then prime with automotive primer from a spray can,( helps when using hotter paints) wet sand that, then sling some paint. I’ve developed a method of quick and close when painting, I rarely get orange peel anymore, and have learned the limits so I don’t get runs/sags. After the color coat dries, I hit it with clear, usually 3-4 coats. After that cures, I’ll wet sand with 2k, then 3k and then 5K , then I’ll hit it with Meguiars 105 then 205 and polish it out.

here’s the paint,

D6671387-A5D0-4A1B-9108-91F1126735EF.jpeg

Seem your using top notch products, for top notch results

• 3 weeks later...

And we are back onto this one. Got a lot of little bits primed and painted yesterday, so today I started work on the chassis. And yes, I left the printing on the floor boards, I normally sand it off, but, I decided to leave it this time so if years from now someone else ends up with it, a quick glance will identify it as a revell kit. I also had to put the body on to see how things were looking. Thanks for looking.

DF10007E-79F2-4108-BFE2-5671EC7D4E4B.jpeg

137BB737-A6E4-4129-A34B-86113856D124.jpeg

10A76CDF-867E-439F-B76D-180F165EB777.jpeg

E5476853-1229-4590-951F-83CD63AF4A8A.jpeg