Model Cars Magazine Forum

A fun kit to build, this one is my second attempt at weathering after the 2CV. I wanted to depict the very first vehicle I learned to drive in. I was 8 and my legs weren't long enough to reach the pedals. My father made pedal extensions to make it easier for me. He had quite a large piece of land so I could practice. He would let me drive every chance he got. At sixteen I got my driver's license and from then on every time we would be together, he would let me drive, He did not like to drive long distances. The model is a close rendition of the state that poor truck was in, The tires weren't great, the brakes kept braking down, the engine was reaching the end of it's life but despite all this, I have very fond memories of this truck. In a sense it's a tribute to my father and the  thrust he had in me. He left us in 2006 ,2 days after Christmas.

Thanks for looking

chevy pick up 1950 RUST 11.jpg

chevy pick up 1950 RUST 14.jpg

chevy pick up 1950 RUST 15.jpg

chevy pick up 1950 RUST 17.jpg

chevy pick up 1950 RUST 18.jpg

chevy pick up 1950 RUST 20.jpg

chevy pick up 1950 RUST 21.jpg

chevy pickup 50 RUST 01.jpg

chevy pickup 50 RUST 05.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks David,

I don't know, I like the used and abused look on a model. Like those pictures you see in junkyards, you see those once beautiful cars and trucks reduced to rust and grime. I like the challenge it poses as it changes the sequence I would normally build a pristine car. Part of it also is that most of my memories of my youth these were all around us. Smoking and sputtering, it all brings back good memories from when I was young. I used to build airplanes, mainly from WW II so weathering was essential so I apply mostly the same techniques.

Thank you Bob,

don't be put off , it's not as difficult as it seems. you can start with smaller objects. Wheels are perfect, they are small and easy to go back to paint.

The main thing to remember is to use two different type of paint, either acrylic or lacquer. For rust, I use red brown lacquer as a base, then your choice, salt or hair spray to cover the areas to be rusty. Let dry, then apply you top coat (acrylic ) ; thin layers for a smooth finish or heavy coat for cracking paint. Then with a brush and water rub gently the areas you want to  un paint. The chevy 3100 was done using the salt technique and the Trabant was done with the hair spray technique. Give a go, you'll be glad you did.

try it on a steelie or a spare hood. Once you get the knack for it , it becomes really addictive.

Your models keep looking better as they keep looking worse if you know what I mean. This poor truck lived a life! Funny how some of us have fond memories of our first vehicles even though they may have been beaten up and troublesome. They had character.