Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 1/12 Ferrari 312T

Hi all it's my birthday so I'm allowed to start this.

I'm going to stick my neck out and say by the way this builds the original had a crank shaft con rods and pistons (a bit like a Pocher kit)

IMG-8666.jpg
IMG-8664.jpg

IMG-8670.jpg
IMG-8669.jpg
IMG-8665.jpg

IMG-8668.jpg
IMG-8667.jpg

I've ordered some replacement decals from Indycal for this so hopefully I won't have the problem I had with the JPS.

Ok so after closer inspection of the body I've found loads of sink marks and some weird (I've not seen before) wavey marks in the top body panel (it almost looks like the plastic hadn't set when it was taken out of the mold and has run like wet paint) anyway after 3 hrs of sanding I have a reasonable paint job (needs a bit of flatting here and there but a good starting point)

IMG-8847.jpg
IMG-8846.jpg
IMG-8845.jpg
IMG-8844.jpg
IMG-8841.jpg
IMG-8842.jpg

IMG-8850.jpg
IMG-8849.jpg

So I spent ages working to keep the very fragile steering on this working only to find all that effort was a total waste of time, after adding the brake cooling ducts and passing the tie rod ends through them the movement in the steering is negligible (yes I could take them (the cooling ducts that is) and file the holes out bigger but the steering won't last long anyway) I've decided it's not worth the effort.

IMG-8871.jpg
IMG-8870.jpg
IMG-8865.jpg

IMG-8882.jpg
IMG-8881.jpg

IMG-8885.jpg
IMG-8884.jpg
IMG-8883.jpg

Just a quick warning the indycal decals for this car don't fit this kit(tbf they are designed for the Tamiya kit) and look at the hideous tyres Revell supply got to be honest I've never seen worse they look more like plastic than plastic does.

IMG-8895.jpg
IMG-8894.jpg
IMG-8893.jpg
IMG-8892.jpg

IMG-8896.jpg

Well something wrong with the geometry here.

IMG-8947.jpg
IMG-8946.jpg

After a lot of head scratching (and I mean a lot) it suddenly dawned on me, dah, I had the hubs transposed.

IMG-8949.jpg
IMG-8948.jpg

IMG-8950.jpg

One of the many reasons I love my job (99%of our work is Porsche) but we do get other rare stuff through like a 1955 Ferrari monza 750 engine (the car was destroyed)

It's taken 4 years to get the parts together and repair the gearbox (which was destroyed, was actually the cause of the crash)Well now we have all the parts and are rebuilding it in my workplace I'm a no one my title is Caretaker \ workshop assistant (I'm never made to feel like that)like many of us I've stripped and rebuilt many engines but have no qualifications and most of my experience is in motorcycles (I've customised many in my life)

I've never worked anywhere where please and thank you are so often heard, I was given these parts to clean from the 750 engine, I feel so privileged to be working on such iconic engines and cars.
IMG-8959.jpg
IMG-8957.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/nP14Pr8/IMG-8958.jpg[/img

IMG-8961.jpg
IMG-8960.jpg

You will notice (which surprises me) it uses a multiple wet plate clutch(I thought they only used them in motorcycle)

Added some more decals, this is a combo of indycal decals and the kit ones (the indycal decals DO NOT FIT THIS KIT regardless of what you read elsewhere ) some of them do but you couldn't use them for the whole kit( I'm not sighting indycals they were designed for the tamiya kit not this one) also the indycal are matt so need a gloss coat over them the kit ones are gloss. In there defence indycal decals go on well and settle well but I think if your spending half the cost of the kit for them in the future I will go with the kit ones and resort to them as a last resort as even then they may not get you out of trouble as they only seem to cater for tamiya kits.

IMG-9103.jpg
IMG-9101.jpg
IMG-9100.jpg

Nearing completion tbh this kit is not that great (due mostly to Revell using the cheapest production methods and the cheapest materials) (I know that to be true as italari's productions of ex protar kit are in another galaxy to this kit) that said it looks OK and I'm just glad I didn't pay the price I've seen some of this kit go for on Ebay if I'd paid 350 quid for it I would be very upset.

IMG-9235.jpg
IMG-9234.jpg
IMG-9236.jpg
IMG-9233.jpg