Model Cars Magazine Forum

Building a model from SPARE PARTS ONLY!

I just remembered this thread. Such a cool idea! I thought I'd give it a bump with this recent 100% pure Spare Parts build: scratch built chassis, homemade decals, leftover Revellogram '30 Ford Sedan body and spare-box motor and rolling stock used to build this Salt Lakes racer:

Bonneville-setting-31-Tudor-web.jpg
DSCF9016-web.jpg
Cutaway-web.jpg

Edited by Bernard Kron
  • Like 4

Years ago, when we had a club that met at the Tamiya USA HQ, once a year Tamiya would clean out it's spare parts room.  It was open kits that were cannibalized to send parts to customers.  The boxes may have a sprue missing or it could be a random bunch of parts.  They would bring them out at the club and everyone at the meeting drew a number from a hat. Then we went in order . We could select a box.  No peeking inside the box.  You got what you got.  Then we got to cycle through until all the boxes were gone.  The next meeting we all had to build something that was from parts in the boxs.  It was always fun to build and see what others built.  

1 hour ago, Bernard Kron said:

I just remembered this thread. Such a cool idea! I thought I'd give it a bump with this recent 100% pure Spare Parts build: scratch built chassis, homemade decals, leftover Revellogram '30 Ford Sedan body and spare-box motor and rolling stock used to build this Salt Lakes racer:

Bonneville-setting-31-Tudor-web.jpg

Always dig your stuff, Bernard! It always has "soul".

• Like 1

On 10/29/2021 at 10:43 AM, steveracer said:

As I rummage through my parts boxes, and leftover junk from kits, I wondered if anyone has interest in or have done the following:

• Built and finished a kit from ONLY spare parts from the kits that have been built by you
  • I think it could yield some interesting results.
  • For me, it would be a subject that I would typically NOT even consider, such as a hot rod or goofball street custom mish mash.
  • Would anyone be interested in a separate build "contest" or show and tell thread?

Thoughts?

I guess you got a few replies on this subject Steve. I think you hit a nerve. This will be interesting to follow.

On 10/29/2021 at 9:43 AM, steveracer said:

As I rummage through my parts boxes, and leftover junk from kits, I wondered if anyone has interest in or have done the following:

• Built and finished a kit from ONLY spare parts from the kits that have been built by you
  • For me, it would be a subject that I would typically NOT even consider, such as a hot rod or goofball street custom mish mash.
  • Would anyone be interested in a separate build "contest" or show and tell thread?

Thoughts?

I’ve been thinking for a couple of years that I’d like to do an annual tradition where I do exactly that - build something only from all the junk I have laying around, and specifically not buy anything or rob any whole kits to do it.  Oh, and not design and print a bunch of stuff either, because if I didn’t have that rule I’d probably wanna do that too and it would end up like every other project 🤪

I was gonna call it Dumpster-Dive December or Junkyard January or something, but I didn’t quite ever get around to doing - but if everyone else is, I probably would want to too!  

Edited by CabDriver
  • Like 1

On 9/27/2022 at 9:41 AM, Rick L said:

I guess you got a few replies on this subject Steve. I think you hit a nerve. This will be interesting to follow.

Rick, yea this is great!  Looks like ya shamed me into building a scrapbox model myself....   ha ha   

I have enjoyed the shared models here and are quite like what I expected by the way.  I have some old Revell parts packs from the early era, and some funny car chassis in the junk box... 

Good to see this get legs again, my summer activities came to halt when all of a sudden it got cold outside, and just started paying attention to modelling again!

• 4 weeks later...

B0AF7B3F-E842-4BB4-BDEC-4FE8674E6927.jpeg.35f1b7e7f180251a49a2a5c86834c402.jpeg

a complete parts build.. All I had was the 63 Valiant body with a broken roof. The body was all scratched and the lips of wheel wells were all chipped and broken.

A busted up 71 Duster provided the chassis and drivetrain. Interior came from Hemi Under Glass, roll cage and wheels from Falcon modified stocker, bumpers are 57 Chevy.

• 1 month later...
On 10/29/2021 at 9:43 AM, steveracer said:

Thoughts?

Ok, I’ve been thinking about this post since I read it, and I’m gonna start myself an annual tradition!  December Parts Box Build!

Seems like a fun way to use up some of the stuff I’ve had left over from whatever I’ve been working on all year - I’ll post a thread tomorrow once I’ve found a spare body and enough old junk to build something.  

Would be cool if anyone else was inspired to do the same and posted a WIP too!

• Like 1