Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT '67 Shelby GT350 Mustang.

TonyW

Another Mustang from me, this time it's the Round 2 reissue AMT Shelby GT350.

I nearly kept this one unbuilt, the collector in me thinks it's a stunning looking package. Round 2 have made a terrific job of the presentation.

I ended up building the thing in the end, but kept it curbside with only a couple of add ons. Hood pins, Cragar SS wheels, resin cast door handles and new windscreen gazing were added.Paint is Tamiya Italian red with candy red over that. Stripes are Humbrol gloss white, hand painted after masking. The kit stripe decals didn't want to co-operate.

20211018-102642.jpg

20211018-102128.jpg

20211018-113745.jpg

20211018-115604.jpg

20211017-172735.jpg

The Kat from AMT gives it his smile of approval...

20211018-103442.jpg

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Zippi said:

Nicely done.  The red and white combo looks as it should.  I see this kit all the time at HL but never have bought it.  I prefer the 65 & 66 but after seeing yours I may have to get one.  Great job. 

Thanks.

The kit is showing its age a bit now, the mouldings are a bit soft compared with the Revell Boss 302 for instance and the parts count is down on a newer release kit. We have come a long way over the years. It's still an enjoyable kit to build though, and full credit to Round 2 for making it available again.

The '67 Ford Mustang fastback, also in a similar box is one I'll be picking up at some point, as I really like the look of that boxing as well.

Edited by TonyW

3 hours ago, TracyHolland said:

Nice paint!  I was going to comment on the great decal work (my eyes went straight to the red in the pictures). Then re-read your post. Excellent effort on the Humbrol white!  Nailed it.

Early Humbrol paints are really nice to use. The new stuff isn't the same. Not exactly easy to find in the USA but a bit more accessible for me in the UK. With a touch of thinner added, they flow out very well and it's possible to get a full gloss finish without brush marks. Keeping dust off the paint while it dries is another matter. I put the model under cover as soon as possible after painting but dust still manages to creep in somehow.

52 minutes ago, TonyW said:

they flow out very well and it's possible to get a full gloss finish without brush marks.

This is one beautiful Shelby (redundant statement, all Shelbys are beautiful). Anyway I really like the overall sharpness of this build.  Now to the statement quoted: is this complete car brush painted? If so my hat is off to you for an excellent job.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, TarheelRick said:

This is one beautiful Shelby (redundant statement, all Shelbys are beautiful). Anyway I really like the overall sharpness of this build.  Now to the statement quoted: is this complete car brush painted? If so my hat is off to you for an excellent job.

Hi Rick.

The red is Tamiya spray bombs, Italian Red and Candy Red over that, for added depth of color. The white stripes are hand painted with enamel paint, using masking tape as a guide.

I've had issues with masking tape leaving slight ridges when I've sprayed stripes before although gently running a new scalpel blade along the edge helps a lot. The big worry I had with this paintjob was the red bleeding through the stripes if I used Tamiya Acrylic for the red and the white. I used white Humbrol Enamel over the red acrylic to try to avoid this. I think it's worked.

I have done full paintjobs using enamel in the past and it can be done!  As I said above, dust is the big enemy there. Enamels never seem to shine back to the original brushing if you try color sanding them.

This MPC Monkeemobile was brush painted with very old Humbrol Gloss Red. The shine is good, there are no brush marks. Unfortunately there are dust specks here and there. 

IMG-1316.jpg

Beautiful looking finish. Painting the stripes was the best option since the kit decals don't seem to cover bright colors like this.  That said that is a great job of masking and painting as the lines look dead straight. I like the cleanly done chrome trim. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bills72sj said:

Thank you for the inspiration. I too am going with white painted stripes. The white was painted today. The stripes will be masked then the color will be laid on top.

Good luck Bill, I hope it works well.

The use of paint instead of decals really makes the difference. Most of the time, white decal over red always end up showing the red underneath. I did both the 67 shelby and the revell gt 500 and I ended up stripping the paint and re painting all red without the decals. I wish kit manufacturers would address this issue.They should put a siiver barrier before printing the white.A little more work, but your Mustang really looks like it should. Beautiful work. Thanks for sharing.