Model Cars Magazine Forum

1961 Pontiac Ventura Drag Car

Brutalform

I like your Drag Racing theme on this build and the scoop you're using would be needed with that carburation setup. Back in the day there were some class depending on the sanctioning bodies that would allow a hood scoops in the Stock classes.  The one I recall seeing on many of the GM based cars was actually a part that Ford sold to be used on some of their heavy duty trucks. That design wouldn't fit the way your build is going, this is only some FIY type info. The scoop I recall was not very high and I think it was made out of aluminum with a few ridges running down the middle. Glade to hear you were able to fix the grill fitment issue. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the replies everyone. 
Scott, I’ll get a few pics of the Impala posted up later on. 
We had a death in the family on my wife’s side, so with all that going on, and the  estate, we’ve been busy lately. 
But I did manage to start on the roll bar, using some Evergreen .062 diameter styrene rod. I have it all figured out with the floor pan, and all. I filed all the joints with needle files, to get a nice fit. 

DA87630B-4EDF-48D6-82E6-13DEDA0CFF60.jpeg

4304A22A-1325-4243-91AD-F422607A407B.jpeg

• Like 1

Whenever I’m using any kind of plastic welder, I like to slip something between the work area and the roof panel, to avoid any drips ruining the plastic. Now after these are fully dried, I’ll bend the bars to fit along windshield pillars, and around the dash.  A little cleaning up around the joints will be done right before primer. 

652E67E7-E1E0-4F20-8790-235640C13543.jpeg

568748CA-0B29-41C9-BFDC-0D9FC04BB73D.jpeg

• Like 1

On 12/14/2021 at 8:44 AM, afx said:

Interesting technique on the cage fabrication Tom - might have to try it out.

Thanks JC, but stick to your technique that you posted on your tutorial on how you make your cages. It works much better than what I was trying to do. I ended up removing the two top bars, and bending them before mounting them to the side bars. I really should have just done that from the start. What was I thinking? I’m just glad the windows, dash, package tray, and door panels all fit nice and tight. 

B9BFC57C-E928-4198-B7B0-69F44325F853.jpeg

474B9E42-B200-4578-9599-41B235A26C2D.jpeg

648E0F96-391B-404B-8900-0B4062601D32.jpeg

• Like 2

On 12/12/2021 at 10:28 PM, crowe-t said:

This is awesome!  What material did you use for the 5 point harness' belts?

I use Pro Techs racing harness. I try to keep several on hand usually. The material Charlie provides is white, smooth on one side, and textured on the other, so it’s super easy to color it with a sharpie to any color you desire. I highly recommend them. 

41 minutes ago, Brutalform said:

I use Pro Techs racing harness. I try to keep several on hand usually. The material Charlie provides is white, smooth on one side, and textured on the other, so it’s super easy to color it with a sharpie to any color you desire. I highly recommend them. 

I got the material from Pro Tech so I now know it looks realistic seeing it in your car.  

What glue do you use to attach the material to the photo etch harness hardware?

Edited by crowe-t