Model Cars Magazine Forum

R-model Shelby Mustangs

Hello group,   i took  a break  from modeling  to work on the 1/1  scale  project  and now that winter is coming it's time to start  another model project.   A   group of  Monogram/Revell   R-model Shelby's .   Simple  kit but needs many  modifications.    Limited  on decals  a side  from a few Mark  Donohue  versions from  Plattos  Place.    so any  suggestions for decals  or  a decal maker  would be great.   

Bill

IMG_0045.JPG

Sorry to go OT first post but this topic caught my eye  and when you said 1/1 project I had to ask. Is that your car in your avatar??

I ask as I have a 1/1 tribute 66 GT350 set up as a street R  model.....and I build a lot of Mustang models.....so I had to ask! thx

Dave ,   always great to meet other Shelby Mustang fans.   no the avatar   is not my car.  but my project is a 65 Mustang fastback .  not really a Shelby replica because  the 351 windsor will not fit under a Shelby  hood.  it has a tremec 5 speed, 9 inch true trac  and suspension  by street or track (coil over shock).  needs body and paint to finish.

IMG_0022 (1).JPG

IMG_0010-vi.jpg

• Like 2

You are going much higher tech than I.

My goal was a Mustang that Shelby aimed at a market that wanted a street car that was closer to a racer. Mine has a 302 crate motor, 4 sp top loader, radio delete....no power anything. Classic Daisy wheels. Disks added to replace the 4 drums.  Ford Avalanche Gray paint. 

LOVE to see yours but it looks like you are 3000 miles away....maybe mu next CA visit!!! 

paintday57.JPG

• Like 1

nice looking  ride Dave,   yah the high tech stuff can be cool but also a pain  sometimes.  a  basic 289/302  with a 4 speed  is easy to work on and a lot of fun.         speaking  of small block,   starting  with engine  and  first  modification.   Monogram/Revell  kit has a   big  opening  when oil pan is assembled.   filled with super thin plastruct  sheet.

Metal  pan is from  Thunder Valley  Miniatures  transkit  and looks great.

IMG_0047.JPG

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 65slotcar said:

yes  2  1/25  scale AMT  kits.   i would like a couple 1/24  scale coupes , but i don't  think they were made in that scale.  

Not that I have seen.  Is have also not seen anyone use the 1/24 convertible and made a hardtop for it but that may be an option.  As you know the Revell/Monogram 65-66 Mustang kits are far superior to the old AMT ones.

I'm doing my current R-Model build as 5R101 when it was owned by Alan Bolte. I have a bunch to do as the Mark Donohue car (5R105), Essex Wire/Rick Kopec (5R098), Dick Jordan's Jack Loftus car (5R106), Jochen Neerpasch (5R107), Jerry Titus (5R001), the Comstock car (5R096), Walt Hane's car (5R103), Howard Pardee (5R095), Charlie Kemp (5R538), Claude DuBois (5R539), Dockery Ford (5R100), Pedro Rodriguez (5R108), Dan Gerber (5R099), and possibly the Cobra Caravan car (5R213). The Monogram bodies need to be brought up to par with an R Model, and a lot of items need to be added or scratch built. I have reference photos of 5R101 and shots of various R Models. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with! 

Edited by 250 Testa Rossa

9 hours ago, 65slotcar said:

yes  2  1/25  scale AMT  kits.   i would like a couple 1/24  scale coupes , but i don't  think they were made in that scale.  

An option for 1/24 scale coupes is the Welly diecast coupe.

20211101_051448.jpg.cf83784237a712f3910667a74fb8798c.jpg

I am in the process of making a Monte Carlo Rallye version out of one.

20211031_214552.jpg.fffe3b74fe06bbecb80afe897e359116.jpg20211031_214522.jpg.4b8e35c327208f8f41c4c2324dcc4f6a.jpg

19 hours ago, 250 Testa Rossa said:

I'm doing my current R-Model build as 5R101 when it was owned by Alan Bolte. I have a bunch to do as the Mark Donohue car (5R105), Essex Wire/Rick Kopec (5R098), Dick Jordan's Jack Loftus car (5R106), Jochen Neerpasch (5R107), Jerry Titus (5R001), the Comstock car (5R096), Walt Hane's car (5R103), Howard Pardee (5R095), Charlie Kemp (5R538), Claude DuBois (5R539), Dockery Ford (5R100), Pedro Rodriguez (5R108), Dan Gerber (5R099), and possibly the Cobra Caravan car (5R213). The Monogram bodies need to be brought up to par with an R Model, and a lot of items need to be added or scratch built. I have reference photos of 5R101 and shots of various R Models. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with! 

maxx,  that is a long list !   Most  R-model  Shelby's  had a basic paint job  with just a number and a B  next to it.   i don't  have a  set plan for decals yet ,  but hope to build  the more colorful  and different  versions

Shelby_GT350R_Dan Moore.jpg

Shelby_GT350R_SFM5R108_#81_ (4).jpg

Shelby_GT350R_SFM5R_1970_#94_Daytona_166.jpg

Shelby_GT350_1967_#17_Dubois-Tuerlinckx_SFM5R539_trials_4.JPG

3 hours ago, 65slotcar said:

maxx,  that is a long list !   Most  R-model  Shelby's  had a basic paint job  with just a number and a B  next to it.   i don't  have a  set plan for decals yet ,  but hope to build  the more colorful  and different  versions

Shelby_GT350R_Dan Moore.jpg

Shelby_GT350R_SFM5R108_#81_ (4).jpg

Shelby_GT350R_SFM5R_1970_#94_Daytona_166.jpg

Shelby_GT350_1967_#17_Dubois-Tuerlinckx_SFM5R539_trials_4.JPG

Yep. I wonder what serial number the top car is. I know the Mexico car is 5R108 (I plan to do this car), but I'm not sure about the next photo. The Le Mans car is 5R539 and decals are available through VRM. 

i don't  have a serial number for the top car  and  i don't  own a Shelby Mustang Registry  book. but i do know it was campaigned by Dan Moore from 68-72.     also do not have serial number for   the #94 car but  picture is from  1970  24 of Daytona  car driven by Don  Cummings  and  Warren Stumes.  i have the decals for Le Mans  car  and they look very good.  no decals for Mexico car  but did find Amalie Racing Oil  sponser decals.

Edited by 65slotcar

thanks Rex,    that' s  at lot of articles !   i have some great reference  photo's  but always looking for more info  and photo's .  Really interested in the Orange  Blossom  Special   car  and only have the 1 picture.   not too much progress on building, just researching  and searching for decals.   started  to modify  the valve  covers with long filler neck.    update- with a little searching  on the internet , i found  another picture of Orange Blossom  Special. ( Unexpected Ponysite )  car has  big 79  on quarter panel  and car started as a street car  5S307

IMG_0051.JPG

Edited by 65slotcar

4 hours ago, 65slotcar said:

thanks Rex,    that' s  at lot of articles !   i have some great reference  photo's  but always looking for more info  and photo's .  Really interested in the Orange  Blossom  Special   car  and only have the 1 picture.   not too much progress on building, just researching  and searching for decals.   started  to modify  the valve  covers with long filler neck.    update- with a little searching  on the internet , i found  another picture of Orange Blossom  Special. ( Unexpected Ponysite )  car has  big 79  on quarter panel  and car started as a street car  5S307

IMG_0051.JPG

What are you doing for the valve covers?

Maxx,  the  valve covers are from  the r-model  Monogram/Revell  kit .   i just scratch  built  the  oil filler neck  with plastic  styrene  rod  and cap made from scrap  parts tree.

IMG_0053.JPG

Edited by 65slotcar
pic too large

On 11/4/2021 at 5:30 PM, 250 Testa Rossa said:

They look amazing. I will have to try this with my other R Models! 

thanks Maxx

8 hours ago, Venom said:

Hi Bill, nice to see you back with another ambitious project .... Interested in seeing what you do here since I also have a Revell GT350 I expect to do over the winter. 

Josh,  yes another ambitious  project that i hope everyone  enjoys following. the research is something  i really like   and it's like un-covering a mystery.   i knew  nothing about this  Orange Blossom  Special car.  i just knew i wanted to build it.   with much internet  searching  i found vin number.  turns  out  the current owner   is  a member of my local   Nor-Cal  Shelby club  and i have seen this car race  at Sears  Point and Laguna Seca.   the owner is very cool  and sent me  rare photo's .   i still can't make out hood decal  and just may delete  it .  Orange  /Black  is current  restored  car.

MH'17c.jpg

IMG_0097.JPG

IMG_1363.JPG

IMG_1350.JPG

IMG_1357.JPG

3 hours ago, 65slotcar said:

thanks Maxx

Josh,  yes another ambitious  project that i hope everyone  enjoys following. the research is something  i really like   and it's like un-covering a mystery.   i knew  nothing about this  Orange Blossom  Special car.  i just knew i wanted to build it.   with much internet  searching  i found vin number.  turns  out  the current owner   is  a member of my local   Nor-Cal  Shelby club  and i have seen this car race  at Sears  Point and Laguna Seca.   the owner is very cool  and sent me  rare photo's .   i still can't make out hood decal  and just may delete  it .  Orange  /Black  is current  restored  car.

MH'17c.jpg

IMG_0097.JPG

IMG_1363.JPG

IMG_1350.JPG

IMG_1357.JPG

Interesting.... I will certainly enjoy following along Bill🤠👍