Model Cars Magazine Forum

R-model Shelby Mustangs

1 hour ago, Venom said:

Man! You do this stuff just like Henry Ford did it, except you’re only one guy.

............Lookin’ good👍

thanks Josh

20 minutes ago, 250 Testa Rossa said:

Where did you get the velocity stacks?

velocity stacks are from  Thunder Valley  Miniatures  trans kit.  they can be found on e-bay from time to time.  the kit comes with 4 stack ( don't know why)  but they are aluminum  and look much better then plastic.

IMG_0134.JPG

1 hour ago, 65slotcar said:

thanks Josh

velocity stacks are from  Thunder Valley  Miniatures  trans kit.  they can be found on e-bay from time to time.  the kit comes with 4 stack ( don't know why)  but they are aluminum  and look much better then plastic.

IMG_0134.JPG

Do you have photos of the Thunder Valley trans kit? It's required to build 5R105 (The Mark Donohue car)

41 minutes ago, 65slotcar said:

Maxx,   the kit comes in just a plain white box  and here are all the contents  except intake manifold,oil pan  and alternator  that were used  on 1 engine.

IMG_0136.JPG

That’s a great looking little kit! Nice to know of it.

Couple of questions: How crisp are the decals? Are those wheels metal? And what material are the tires? Thanks👍

josh,   the decals look very crisp  (V-R-M  quality)  but have not  used yet, so  i don't know  how user friendly  they are.    to me  the wheels  are the highlight  of the kit with  polished aluminum rims  with  metal  inserts.   tires  are black  resin cast  and are ok, but will most likely  go with a bigger  rubber tire.

IMG_0140.JPG

Cool project William, and very cool 1/1 in your garage. 

On decals, I thought Indycals had some Mustang decals like your looking for but I don't see any on their site.

BUT, I do see they have a decal printing service so that might be of some help.

Edited by Can-Con

1 hour ago, Can-Con said:

Cool project William, and very cool 1/1 in your garage. 

On decals, I thought Indycals had some Mustang decals like your looking for but I don't see any on their site.

BUT, I do see they have a decal printing service so that might be of some help.

thanks Steve,   i  have a couple  decal makers  in mind but have not pulled the trigger yet.  but  will  post what i come up with.    so far  i have an  excellent  LeMans  set from V-R-M   and  a few from   Platto's  Place.

IMG_0141.JPG

16 minutes ago, 65slotcar said:

thanks Steve,   i  have a couple  decal makers  in mind but have not pulled the trigger yet.  but  will  post what i come up with.    so far  i have an  excellent  LeMans  set from V-R-M   and  a few from   Platto's  Place.

IMG_0141.JPG

#11 and #29 are both the same car. 5R105. Originally, it was painted the Wimbledon White with the Guardsman Blue stripes, and raced by Mark Donohue, who really wanted to be a driver for Shelby American. Unfortunately, he was not selected, so he had 5R105 repainted in Guardsman Blue with white stripes as a protest. Eventually, Shelby got wind of this, and urged Donohue to repaint the car Wimbledon White with Guardsman Blue stripes. I plan to build 5R105, but will be doing the restored version. Legendary Motorcar Co. up in Canada restored this car and 5R100 to concours quality specs. 

On 11/26/2021 at 1:25 PM, 65slotcar said:

Maxx,   a cool bit of history.   now for my next challenge...  getting rid of dash pad.  anyone make a correct r-model dash?

Shelby_GT350R_interior (2).jpg

IMG_0146.JPG

No one makes the correct R Model dash. I had to make my own for my build of Alan Bolte's 5R101. I think I sculpted the shape out of Tamiya Epoxy Putty. I'm not sure. Also, I had to make my own door panels and the biggest problem you will have are the fender flares. Keep in mind that no two R Models are alike. 

my second  attempt  at dash is coming out a little better, i cut  a little less off dash but still had to fill in hole above where the radio would be.  still need to cut out glove box hole and add radio delete cover.   cut  out new door  panels from thin plastic sheet   and a few other modifications are cutting  off fire extinguisher   from roll bar  and removing  battery  from engine compartment.

IMG_0153.JPG

IMG_0154.JPG

IMG_0155.JPG

1 hour ago, Phildaupho said:

I just discovered your project. Fantastic. Keep up the great work

thanks Phil.      the  ride height  may be correct  with  stock model kit, but i like  it with a  little bit lower  stance.    i grind  down  back of frame rails  to get  leaf springs  just  a little bit lower.  maybe hard  to see tire clearance in photo.

IMG_0174.JPG

IMG_0176.JPG

IMG_0177.JPG

Impressive plan Bill. I certainly admire your production efficiency and your attention to detail. I've been working on one lately that came out of "hibernation" and just needs finishing up. Older kit (prior to the R release) with resin front valance and a few minor scratch-built pieces. I added the scoops on the side before doing proper research, but as Max has pointed out to me, there are 3 chassis that did run with them. I saw your comment about the dash pad and realized I need to delete that too. That rear end still needs some refinement, but it's a start. Those 2-part taillights I found in a parts box and I assume they are from the first issue Mustang, but don't quote me. Looking forward to following your progress and Max's as well.

1965GT350RmodelKit.jpg

1965GT350RmodelParts.jpg

GT350RmodelBack.jpg