Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 1968 Dodge HEMI Charger

doorsovdoon

I bought this Revell Charger a while back but the body got crushed in the post. Les, on here "stitchdup" came to the rescue with a '69 Revell body which is virtually the same as the '68, I just had to fill in the side marker lights. Added bonus with the body Les sent is that it has the vinyl roof moulded in, happy days. The inner wings were missing but I saved the inner wings from the crushed '68 as I was going to use them in another dreaded MPC Country Charger, that'll be Charger build number four, which makes the Charger my most built kit! Cos I used the slant six in the last Country Charger I built, I was left with a pretty decent looking HEMI by MPC which I'm putting in this. It fits nicely except the headers interfere with the engine mounts so I'll have to use the ones from the Revell kit. I found the right air cleaner and a bigger rad fan as the MPC version was pathetically small and looked nothing like what's on a HEMI. So here we go, Charger build number three!

DSC01089.JPG

DSC01092.JPG

DSC01090.JPG

DSC01098.JPG

DSC01101.JPG

Got the hardest part of the foiling done, gutter trim always takes a few attempts with me. I've just the quarterlight windows left to foil and the wheel arches. Also detailed the grille and hubcaps. The grille is pretty awkward to detail on this kit, blackwash just sits in the low points and never looks right, I prefer to paint it with aerosol, but man, it takes some effort to mask off in order to keep that chrome trim that's in there.

DSC01102.JPG

DSC01103.JPG

DSC01104.JPG

DSC01105.JPG

Couldn't resist a mock-up to see what it might look like:) I've chose black stripes for the trunk and found some period California plates in my decal stash. Unfortunately I used the redline tyre decals on my recent '67 GTO build, so I'll have to paint them on for this build, but they're extremely skinny redlines. I have a couple of ideas how to apply them, but which method is best I have no idea yet, Lol.

DSC01114.JPG

DSC01115.JPG

Is Rob Halford the heir-apparent to the Halford's  fortune ? 

I'm loving your '68 Charger ( one of thee best automotive designs in history ) . 

I , too , have a '69 Charger body staged for use when I get around to building my copy of the '68 . It's easier to fill-and-backdate the side marques than it is to add  vinyl top trim to that 'Flying Buttress' backlight area and the C-pillars . 

13 hours ago, 1972coronet said:

Is Rob Halford the heir-apparent to the Halford's  fortune ? 

I don't think so. The CEO of Halfords is Graham Stapleton. Halfords was founded in 1892 as an ironmongery and then started selling bicycle goods and spares in 1902, they still do bicycle parts and repairs to this day and are well known for it. Like Hoover is a universal name for every vacuum cleaner, Halfords is almost a universal name here when it comes to bicycles. If you need a bicycle part you'll hear people say "I'll pop into Halfords" 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Bills72sj said:

I love 2nd Gen Chargers. 2 built, 7 unbuilt. Following.

Thanks Bill. Yeah, I love building the Charger, even the worn out MPC offering.

7 hours ago, Dominik said:

nice progress. like the steelies

Thanks Dominik. While looking up HEMI Chargers I seen a stunning red with black vinyl roof '68 with the same wheels so just had to copy it. Revell did a great job on this kit including the steelies, though I wish they would include the poverty caps too as seen on the Bullitt Charger.

4 hours ago, FLHCAHZ said:

Fantastic!

Thanks Chaz.