Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell Audi R8

70 Sting

On 11/6/2021 at 12:11 PM, Funkychiken said:

its a great looking build! I did find some of your lessons learnt familiar, although the glue on the decal made me LOL - shouldn't really, as it probably annoyed you at the time. one of the calipers seems in the wrong orientation, but those wheels look great sprayed. I've never seen a kit clear coated with X22, I thought that was a mixer for making flat base paint clear...! I live and learn as it looks good as a clear coat.

I actually used Tamiya glue to set a stubborn dashboard decal on a Miura because I didn't have decal solution with me at the time... it worked, you just can't touch it. Good spot on the callipers, I hadn't notice that. Wondering if that was a manufacturing mistake as the wheels attach to the axel with half circle connections i.e. they can only be rotated in 180˚ positions. I suppose I could have drilled out the other half circle and oriented it correctly (or pretend I didn't read your comment 😜). The biggest drawback with X-22 seems to be the drying time from what I've read on the net. Had a problem with the Miura but it dried nicely on this one.

• Like 1

On 11/6/2021 at 7:11 PM, MikeyB08 said:

Novice? You’re being modest. 🤪 Looks amazing!!

I appreciate that MikeyB08. I've made a return to the hobby after 35 years due to covid. Back then, I never painted a kit for fear of ruining it and only used Testors tube glue - didn't know anything else existed. Internet Forums and Youtube have opened my eyes to all the possibilities. I'm determined to try new techniques every time because I have many years of catching up to do. 🙂

That's a superb looking model. Crisp and clean from nose to tail. I confess to laughing at the glue/decal incident.

If you don't pay attention, it's very easy to confuse superglue with glue 'n glaze. Both have very similar bottles. That's all I'm gonna say about the matter.

I still wake up screaming about the whole affair.

• Haha 1