Model Cars Magazine Forum

*Painting in Cold Weather*

To me dehydrating is just part and parcel to the fun lol ! And I grew up in the 1950's and into the 60's with Testors and Pactra enamels so it's just a standard to me, the stink the cure time etc. I shot model parts in my bedroom back then which probably explains a little bit of my different nature shall we say lol.

Edited by Dave G.

5 minutes ago, Mr. Metallic said:

A cheap new one should run about $30 plus another $5 for an oven thermometer (if the unit you buy doesn't have it's own thermostat. 

I would check 2nd hand and thrift stores for a used one to save more money, but it may take some waiting to actually find one.

I think there's a pretty extensive topic dedicated to dehydrators somewhere here on the board.

edit- found it- 

Thanks for the info Craig.

1 hour ago, Dave G. said:

Zip,you probably missed this part of my other post since it was an edit: Edit: here's one, think Walmart has something similar: https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwjM95KF6JD0AhWnbW8EHbXTDFQYABASGgJqZg&sig=AOD64_2y05Us7P9th2XYx8rK971ZuEnUpw&ctype=5&q=&ved=2ahUKEwjf4IaF6JD0AhX7mWoFHRO-BVoQ9aACegQIARBE&adurl=

Well that looks pretty kewl.  I'll have to slip this one to the Jolly ol fat guy in red ☺

1 hour ago, TransAmMike said:

As if buying all we need to do our modelling isn't enough, now a dehydrator too??  When will it end😂😂

Well Mike....I think it's like my 1:1 49 Chevy pickup, I've never really be done working on it so I guess it's a never ending process.  What else have we got to do anyway ☺  

2 hours ago, TransAmMike said:

As if buying all we need to do our modelling isn't enough, now a dehydrator too??  When will it end😂😂

It's not a must have and additionally the use of LT does quicken up enamels cure time quite a bit. Course curing paint by day then cooking pizza at night in the same device probably would turn off some but I've never noticed any difference. But then that's me. People today kill me, a little paint smell is like super taboo then they light themselves up and even legalize pot or drink a half pint of whiskey ( I'm not insinuating or accusing, just seen it in action is all). Hey as kids all we had was enamel basically, not all these choices at least. And we sort of waited for enamel to dry, I know that I got in the pattern of shooting the body and setting it aside for 4-5 days.

Edited by Dave G.

20 minutes ago, Dave G. said:

It's not a must have and additionally the use of LT does quicken up enamels cure time quite a bit. Course curing paint by day then cooking pizza at night in the same device probably would turn off some but I've never noticed any difference. But then that's me. People today kill me, a little paint smell is like super taboo then they light themselves up and even legalize pot or drink a half pint of whiskey ( I'm not insinuating or accusing, just seen it in action is all). Hey as kids all we had was enamel basically, not all these choices at least. And we sort of waited for enamel to dry, I know that I got in the pattern of shooting the body and setting it aside for 4-5 days.

Good points Dave, to each his own huh!! 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TransAmMike said:

Good points Dave, to each his own huh!! 

I use Tamiya acrylic too, worth trying out if they have the color you need. I've mentioned it before but I went from MM Classic Black to Tamiya X-1 thinned with DNA and got a danged nice paint job from it, by my standards at least. My 1/16 Mercer has Tamiya on the seat and MM yellow on the body. Do what you gotta do is all. Most of my interiors are craft paints or Vallejo acrylic with a little Liquitex varnish mixed in.

15 minutes ago, Dave G. said:

I use Tamiya acrylic too, worth trying out if they have the color you need. I've mentioned it before but I went from MM Classic Black to Tamiya X-1 thinned with DNA and got a danged nice paint job from it, by my standards at least. My 1/16 Mercer has Tamiya on the seat and MM yellow on the body. Do what you gotta do is all. Most of my interiors are craft paints or Vallejo acrylic with a little Liquitex varnish mixed in.

I never considered Tamiya acrylics as opposed to craft acrylics. I also never even considered spraying MM acrylics when they were available. One issue for me is I'm limited to HL or online for something like Tamiya and as for online, I just hate paying rediculous shipping therefore increasing the price of an item. It's the retired old man in me I guess😉🤣

24 minutes ago, TransAmMike said:

I never considered Tamiya acrylics as opposed to craft acrylics. I also never even considered spraying MM acrylics when they were available. One issue for me is I'm limited to HL or online for something like Tamiya and as for online, I just hate paying rediculous shipping therefore increasing the price of an item. It's the retired old man in me I guess😉🤣

I get it. I think my point was more use what you can or have available. That's how it came to pass with craft paints for me. And the real point is I'm comfortable with that, enamel or Tamiya which are accumulated items over years not weeks.

Ok fella's.  I let the paint cure out for 1 week.  I used nothing but Novus 2 to polish the body.  Seem to be dry as far as I can tell and it came out ok.  I think next time when I airbrush the Testors enamel I need to get a lot more paint on the last pass.  It's a learning curve but I like what I'm seeing so far. 

20211117_085753.jpg

20211117_085828.jpg

20211117_085841.jpg

20211117_085849.jpg

Edited by Zippi
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, TransAmMike said:

Can't argue with the results there, simple paint job with terrific result.👍

Yeah I think it turned out pretty good.  I waited 1 week before polishing and most of those days were cold and got down to around 30 degrees in the garage.  I bet in the summer I could cut a day off of the cure time. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/17/2021 at 12:50 PM, Zippi said:

Yeah I think it turned out pretty good.  I waited 1 week before polishing and most of those days were cold and got down to around 30 degrees in the garage.  I bet in the summer I could cut a day off of the cure time. 

Just want to report that Rustoleum 2X Apple Red comes out every bit as nice as the Testors and the whole can is $5.49. Put it down wet, wetter the better, two coats unless decanted. If decanted it needs about 20% more thinner, still put it down wet but it will take 4-5 coats. I cooked it at 111F. I shot a 40 Ford spare hood, beautiful finish. Be a greet color for a 32 roadster or couple hot rod. This is the 4th either Painters Touch or 2x color I've shot and it comes out great, every one, especially for some of those late 40's and 50's pastel solid colors.. But I'm really tickled with this red.

On 11/11/2021 at 12:21 PM, Zippi said:

Ok....here's my "poor mans' dehydrator ☺☺☺  

20211111_111820.jpg

Now take that and put it in a box and it will improve the amount of time it takes! Also brings down the humidity a little too. Basically what I do. Oh, and maybe use a bulb thermometer to monitor temperature. My box gets about 95 degrees with a 100 watt incandescent bulb. 

Edited by JohnU
More information