Model Cars Magazine Forum

You can make a Profit

1 hour ago, 1930fordpickup said:

someone makes a post about how they could still build and get a little money back in return.  Why is everyone worried about what he thinks his time is worth to him?

I don't think anyone has questioned his motives.

Did he want people's opinion on the subject, or not?

If not, I don't know why he posted.

This is a forum, where discussions take place.

If he didn't want any opinions of what others think on the matter, he's in the wrong place.

Or he should have stated that he didn't want any feedback at the very least.

Although I have to say, I can't imagine why anyone would come to an online forum and not want to engage with other hobbyists. :huh:

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

7 hours ago, Painted Black said:

I don't think anyone is "pissed" off, but you did open the door!! There is a thread on this subject elsewhere on this board covering this subject, you should have posted this there. Don't leave just because we didn't respond in your favor. Look forward to more of your builds.

The OP started the other thread also and never responded to any of the comments. 🤔 It all boils down to your definition of profit.

Wow... somebody got his underwear in a knot thinking we’re “pissed off” ? Seriously dude, no one was pissed. If you can’t accept everyone’s opinion, so be it. Quit being too sensitive and quick to judge everyone’s opinion. 

I’ve been building model kits of all genre since I was 5, 6, or 7 years old. That’s over 30 plus years. No  way I’ll sell my built model kits. I do it for enjoyment and relaxation. It’s a hobby to me, not a business to make money on my builds.

10 minutes ago, NOBLNG said:

The OP started the other thread also and never responded to any of the comments. 🤔 It all boils down to your definition of profit.

Exactly that.  If you are going to be spending that time building and your are building for the sake and enjoyment of the build then your time spent is a wash.

So anything you make above what you spent for materials is profit.  

This, of course means you have to watch your overhead.  Limit the amount of aftermarket stuff and really watch what you spend on paint and such.  You may end up with enough to cover the kit and materials and add a couple bucks.

I also do a lot of (or did a lot) of leatherworking and made a good try of turning that hobby into profits.  It didn't work out in the end.  I was making things that had no interest to me and starting to count every mm of thread and oz of dye.  I did make money.  Not enough to live from, but everything I made I came away with more than I put in (including time).  But I got very burned out very quickly.  What was once fun and relaxing lost it's appeal rapidly.  And trust me, no matter how great the product, there is always at least one person who will complain about it and a lot more who do not understand "hand made" and wonder why they can't get something custom for the same price they can find from China.

If you can keep it a side gig and still enjoy the hobby, then awesome!!  I applaud you.  But once the business portion takes over watch out.

Edited by Beans
  • Like 1

I certainly think that if you consider your time spent a "sunk cost" because you are going to build anyway, that is no longer part of the equation, and sure, you can profit on materials. To me, I would personally see it more as a way to "offset" my costs in the hobby at that point. As it stands already, I do not think any amount of selling, either unbuilt kits, or finished kits, can cover the cost of what I have sitting in my hobby room. Between suppliers, paints, tools, kits, it would be hard to quantify the overall investment.  

That being said, I really only want to build what appeals to me personally any way. Either in general, and at any given moment in time. Time spent building a subject I have no interest in would start to feel more like work to me, and step away from why I personally build. Much like my wife asking me to paint a room, because I like to paint models. NOT the same thing. Over the years, I have given several models to people, and built some FOR them, but I still have to have interest in the subject matter. 

13 minutes ago, Modelbuilder Mark said:

Time spent building a subject I have no interest in would start to feel more like work to me,

An absolute killer for me!

I wouldn't last 5 minutes building a Porsche for somebody.

There's no possible way that I could sustain any excitement trying to build a subject that doesn't interest me in the least.

Too bad the OP had to pick up his toys and go home.

Some insight from him might have been valuable to this discussion.

Steve

3 hours ago, NOBLNG said:

Now if someone’s Dad had built that car…or someone had $80-$100,000 invested in it themselves, what’s another $1200. to have a replica on the mantle?

I totally agree... unfortunately those are very few and far between. It might be somewhat doable on an internet platform if you first make a name for yourself with some fine work.... but then there’s still the idea of it becoming a job that has to be done just so. So it would depend on if you want it to be a job or not.... For me, likely not, unless the profit was big enough and regular enough.

• Like 1

I look at it from the same perspective as my other hobby, cooking.

I like to cook, but I want to cook what I feel like cooking when I feel like cooking it, and when it’s finished, I consume it, and if it’s not up to someone else’s standards, it doesn’t matter.

You start bringing in all of the complications of a restaurant operation and having to please all of your customers all of the time and it looses all of its appeal.

Steve

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 1930fordpickup said:

There is more than one builder on here that posts about what they can afford and can not afford to do with the hobby from time to time.  So someone makes a post about how they could still build and get a little money back in return.  Why is everyone worried about what he thinks his time is worth to him?

I was just trying to explain how "profit" works. 

I have been offered money for some of my builds, and after I am done laughing, I can't believe someone would give me money for my junk! And yes, sometimes it is only a few bucks, but hey, I rather have a few bucks than a forgotten build in a box somewhere! 

I know that some build professionally and get top bucks for their talent, and I am not knocking that, but some out there think that they must get every nickel back on their builds. And that is like expecting to get money back after eating a hamburger you ordered. You paid for it, made it, ate it and done! Same with models for me, but if someone is willing to give me a few shekels for it, bonus! 

Too bad the poster read things wrong and ran for the hills

Well, bye

About 10 years ago I took on a commission job of a model of a guy's '56 Chevy hot rod. He supplied the kit and I had all the materials on hand, so, no whipout at all. The paid price was $250. I didn't keep an accurate account of time but I'd be amazed if I made $10 an hour. It was welcome at the time because I was unemployed and could use the money. 

I get the question from time to time if I sell my models. I always answer them no, and it's mainly because it's very hard for me to sell something I spent so much time on. I'm also not a fan of building for others as it would very quickly become "work" and I already have a job with too much stress at times.

I can think of only one builder that posts here from time to time that gets VERY good money for the models he builds, and that's Paul Hettick whose handle on eBay is Robbbbbb57. Now Paul has been doing this for many years, and I can imagine he's got a customer base that will buy from him and willing to pay the price. Still, looking at what he does and the amount of effort that goes into it, what he gets in return IMO should be worth MUCH more.

• Thanks 1

This topic took me on a hunt of what I have built as gifts, sold, and commissioned works and have count build of 46. They range from cars, trucks, boats and planes.

I get asked all the time how much time I have in a project, I don't consider it work so I don't clock the hours. Many a project would be considered 'lost leaders' costing more to manufacture as to the price. I have always had the opinion anyone can buy a box of clay but to turn it into a Picasso art piece is where the talent is priceless. I  have no arguments regarding getting monetary value from your hobby, Is there a difference between professional builder and hobbyist? 

Just remember most artists' works become valuable after the artist has left the good earth.

greg 

The thing I find interesting is that in most cases we have trouble finding time for the hobby. To me it is surprising that the op wasn't concerned with being compensated for his time. I can see the sense in building and selling to allow buying new kits and supplies.  You are building what you want to build. Of course you are not going to truly make a profit, just my thoughts. .

2 hours ago, bobthehobbyguy said:

... To me it is surprising that the op wasn't concerned with being compensated for his time. ...

Probably the key bit in his O.P. was the bit about "I did it for 20 years, but keep your day Job..." We'd need more info, but one question is, what did he do in his off time? Nothing? And what amount of detail did he put into the client models, and what price level was their cutoff?

Most of us need to keep food on the table, a roof overhead, and bills paid, plus we need to keep our cars maintained, contend with relatives, deal with neighbors and school matters, fix broken household stuff, on and on. If I'm wanting a model built, I understand that I can't have it tomorrow, but I'd like to have it sooner than later, certainly not 6 months or a year from now. So, in order to expedite things a bit, the builder needs to forfeit some of those time distractions. What's the easiest one to skip? The job, so long as the wage is at least equal if not better, and as long as the employer permits vacation-style time off. How many modelers have jobs paying $20 per hour or less these days? Can a good model be done with basic wiring and polished paint be done in 8 hours? 2 days flat? A week? 40 hours at $30 per hour is a $1200 model. And technically, you'd still be at break-even for your time, compared to going to your $30 per hour job. If you have a particular build style that makes your builds distinctly separate, what do you charge for that premium? Keep going in that direction, and you enter the realm of the art world, where collectors will kill to have one of your creations, and hand you a blank check to fill in when you are done. I'd say that's where the profit can be made.

Yrs ago in Fine Scale an ex  sailor built a ship for a museum, was 6 to8 ft long and after getting over the WOW factor  I thought man having to build something would take all the fun out of it. For me this is a hobby and fun and when it isn't I put it up until ready to go at it again.

8 hours ago, Russell C said:

And what amount of detail did he put into the client models, and what price level was their cutoff?

I can’t see someone paying a good buck for those…they aren’t even finished.😳 The trim isn’t painted or foiled. The Duster or Dart doesn’t look like it was painted at all, and half the side decal is missing.😕