Model Cars Magazine Forum

You can make a Profit

10 hours ago, Russell C said:

Probably the key bit in his O.P. was the bit about "I did it for 20 years, but keep your day Job..." We'd need more info, but one question is, what did he do in his off time? Nothing? And what amount of detail did he put into the client models, and what price level was their cutoff?

Most of us need to keep food on the table, a roof overhead, and bills paid, plus we need to keep our cars maintained, contend with relatives, deal with neighbors and school matters, fix broken household stuff, on and on. If I'm wanting a model built, I understand that I can't have it tomorrow, but I'd like to have it sooner than later, certainly not 6 months or a year from now. So, in order to expedite things a bit, the builder needs to forfeit some of those time distractions. What's the easiest one to skip? The job, so long as the wage is at least equal if not better, and as long as the employer permits vacation-style time off. How many modelers have jobs paying $20 per hour or less these days? Can a good model be done with basic wiring and polished paint be done in 8 hours? 2 days flat? A week? 40 hours at $30 per hour is a $1200 model. And technically, you'd still be at break-even for your time, compared to going to your $30 per hour job. If you have a particular build style that makes your builds distinctly separate, what do you charge for that premium? Keep going in that direction, and you enter the realm of the art world, where collectors will kill to have one of your creations, and hand you a blank check to fill in when you are done. I'd say that's where the profit can be made.

Absolutely true. I think the OP took it the wrong way and doesn't want to hear the reality that most of us do this hobby... well that's just it - a hobby to relax and enjoy to pass the time. Nothing satisfies ones soul when you finally finished a kit youve worked on for days.

But hey, if he can make a small profit building model kits.... good on him. Is he really breaking even? Not really IMO. But who am I to judge? 

I know a couple of guys that do commissioned model kits on occasion but not as a career. 

6 hours ago, SfanGoch said:

Or, oxygen deprivation. Nobody bothers to read to warning label on dry cleaner bags before using them as space helmets anymore.

Sad enuf that they need to print the label at all!

Only worse is the Halloween Superman cape label, “Warning!  The cape will not enable the wearer to fly!”  

And you just know there was an incident!

8 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

Sad enuf that they need to print the label at all!

Only worse is the Halloween Superman cape label, “Warning!  The cape will not enable the wearer to fly!”  

And you just know there was an incident!

Hey, hold my beer….

• Haha 1

I know the car shows that he probably attends in Alabama....... My Dad has a '73 Charger with a 318 that needs paint. He shows it at some gatherings here and wins trophies! I imagine that the type of folks that will be impressed by that quality of car would think that these builds were top shelf. Things like foil and clear wouldn't matter.....

Edited by JollySipper

• 1 month later...

I have thought about this. I think for me, if I was retired, I could build models and sell them. I would not do it to make a profit, but sell the models for enough over the cost of the materials to allow me to keep the hobby going. It would never be profitable when factoring in my time spent, it would just allow me to keep restocking the stash and supplies. Being retired, the idea would to be to keep me busy and my brain active. It may also help fund bigger personal builds. I would look at the time spent as an activity like Golfing, something to enjoy doing. 

My body is getting more and more useless. I hope to be at 100% VA Disability before I retire. So, building real cars or sky diving is not happening. 

But, I agree with everyone else here, you could never make building models a full time job, with a profit that paid the bills. A self-sustaining pass time at best.