Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 AMT '68 Chevy Corvette Custom

Casey

2 hours ago, espo said:

I picked up a couple of the BFG reissues a few years ago and the rear fender flares in those kits had them as an add on. These are also a gold mine of parts for other projects.

Separate rear flares...you sure that's not the Revell kit?

4 hours ago, Mark said:

Separate rear flares...you sure that's not the Revell kit?

Now you have me wondering. I used the suspension and engine on the '56 Del Ray kit and I remember putting the rear wheel well flares in a parts box. I do recall the decals being for the BFG livery since I had built that kit manmy years ago, 

The AMT kit has the suspension detail molded as part of the chassis.  It's based on the '63-'67 annual convertible kits.

The Revell fender flares are a near-perfect fit on an AMT Gremlin body, if you switch them side for side (put the left side flare on the right side, and vice versa).  A lot of 1:1 builders adapted Corvette flares to other cars because several suppliers made them.  Get the cheapest ones (you're going to have to cut them up to some extent anyway) and have at it!

On 11/4/2021 at 3:24 PM, Casey said:

I think you mentioned in the 2021 Round releases topic there was also the "ACCelerator" version, too, which is where the funky wrap-around windscreen (first?) appeared:

That was in the original issue.   I had a Frog boxing of it, now sold, and I still have a glue bomb rebuilder. 

DSCN3758-vi.jpg

On 11/6/2021 at 5:45 AM, Mark said:

On eBay already?  The Great Unloading has commenced...

I wouldn't call it an "unloading", as I don't think this kit has a very devoted collectible following.

More like someone cleaning out the junk in their basement and trying to make a few bucks before tossing the remains. 

I just posted the pictures to show what we should be getting when it comes out.

It's not coincidence...once a reissue is announced, multiple examples of earlier issues appear.  Especially projects.  It happened with the Nova station wagon, it happened with the '64 Cutlass, it has been happening with the Revell parts pack based kits.  Trying to get out before the reissue hits the shelves, shredding the value of pretty much anything but a mint-in-box example.

• FEATURE PACKED: The 1968 Chevy Corvette Custom kit features details like pad-printed drag slicks, 2 tire options, front spoiler, 2 windshield options, custom hood, 5-spoke Mags, 8-spoke wheels, rollcage, 3+ engine configurations and lots more customizing parts. Kit also includes ALL NEW decals with lots of option and vintage style Retro Deluxe™ AMT packaging.
  • QUICK SPECS: 1/25 Scale. 155 parts. 7" long. Parts molded in white with clear, clear red and chrome plastic, plus metal axles and black vinyl tires. 

So. looking at the instruction sheets, Engine options from the ACcelerator, and a mish mash of parts from the Greenwood kit. It will make a Tasty Custom Corvette package. And at least 6 tires to go with fresh new decals. Looks like Clear Winner except for the Rep-Stock Guys. A Fun kit, but not a Serious one.

1 hour ago, alexis said:

So. looking at the instruction sheets, Engine options from the ACcelerator, and a mish mash of parts from the Greenwood kit. It will make a Tasty Custom Corvette package. And at least 6 tires to go with fresh new decals. Looks like Clear Winner except for the Rep-Stock Guys. A Fun kit, but not a Serious one.

That was exactly my take on this kit when I first saw an early test shot of it.   Here's a couple of the first mockups that were used for evaluation purposes and to help decide on what would be used for the box art.    

spacer.png

I'll post some photos of the contents soon. 

-Steve 

Here's some photos of the contents.   Not shown on the instructions are some leftover parts from the Greenwood kit including the removable top, side exhaust and B.F. Goodrich sidewall caps.  There're also some supercharger parts left from the ACcelerator kit.   

-Steve 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 1

10 hours ago, RDean58 said:

What are those funky valve covers in the upper left of the picture? They look like they are for a big block but I've never seen Chevy BB valve covers like that.

They were added to the Greenwood GT Corvette issue, there's another set of heads too.  I guess they were trying to make it look like a big block engine.  Funky is a good description for a lot of the GT Corvette pieces they added back in 1973.  It's a Custom now right so I guess it's whatever you want them to be. 

Steve

3 hours ago, Can-Con said:

I'm not seeing the "double bubble" clear headlight fairings that were in the BFG car. I was hoping they would be in there. 😞

I was hoping for a stock hood, and the original kit's "sailback" hard top is missing, too. :unsure:

I'm a big fan of the Shark (C3) corvettes, and I also collect some AC Delco paraphernalia.  I bought an ACcelerator kit off ebay once, but ended up selling it because a) it was in terrible shape and b) I thought it was a terrible kit anyway.   I'm surprised they chose to re-release this thing.  

I have looked at the parts trees as closely as I can. The Features List touts 3 different Engine options, But I don't see the Blower Manifold. I wonder if it is there, or are there only the chromed parts of the blower? It seems, as Steve M. has noted that the Clear Headlight covers have not survived either. A small loss.

Otherwise, the parts as shown appear to be in great shape. The Chrome tree looks more MPC, than AMT, to my eyes but others may know better, why that is. The Decals are adequate, and will serve for OTB builders. We get 8 (!) tires, and all 3 sets of headers that we in the 2 kits. A nice selection of options, all in all.  And, I noticed two styles of 5 spoke rims. Is that the way the kit originally was?

I can't wait see one of these kits "in-the-plastic", so to speak.

21 hours ago, alexis said:

I noticed two styles of 5 spoke rims. Is that the way the kit originally was?

The two pair of 5-spoke mags in the pic were used in the Accelertor (fronts to the left, rears to the right).  The "stock" version of the Accelerator utilized Kelsey Magstar wheels as found in a few AMT Ford kits of that era.

I'm not sure exactly what the '68 annual contained in regard to wheels.  I know the stock version had wheels the looked like deep-dish versions of C2 alloys.